PDA

View Full Version : OT: foreign languages?

TeufelHund84
08-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Well I seem to be in a bit of a pickle...

The school I go to has some great opportunities in the language department and seeing as how this is an international community I was hoping for some feedback. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and I picked it up quite easily. I can take the easy way out and continue with Spanish, but Russian, German, Chinese, and even some Arabic are offered as well.

I think Russian would be fascinating to learn but I'm told it's rather difficult, something about it having so many different verb conjugations and such? Arabic would be interesting as well and also quite useful given the nature of my major, and I certainly cannot rule out the others. But I can only choose one so...........................................any thoughts?

TeufelHund84
08-14-2006, 08:38 PM

The school I go to has some great opportunities in the language department and seeing as how this is an international community I was hoping for some feedback. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and I picked it up quite easily. I can take the easy way out and continue with Spanish, but Russian, German, Chinese, and even some Arabic are offered as well.

I think Russian would be fascinating to learn but I'm told it's rather difficult, something about it having so many different verb conjugations and such? Arabic would be interesting as well and also quite useful given the nature of my major, and I certainly cannot rule out the others. But I can only choose one so...........................................any thoughts?

Treetop64
08-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, "DevilDog", you seem to have an affinity for German, so go for it.

TeufelHund84
08-14-2006, 08:58 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AlGroover
08-15-2006, 08:55 AM
It depends on how much work you want to do. For native speakers of European languages, Asian language progress can be slow. As you have one Romance language, German would be a good choice. Russian would be interesting and would require learning the Cyrillic alphabet. If you really want to break your brain go for Finnish.

MEGILE
08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Depends where you will live/work in the future.

For Central Europe German and French... South America Spanish... the Arab world, Arabic etc.

Looking at your choices, I'd go for German then Russian.

MadRuski
08-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Well id obviously say learn Russian, it is a great langauge and one of the most beautiful, the way yo u can say and twist the words make it so great, you can say a simple sentence in a nice humores way, or tell a joke in such a way that it would be hilariouse, or say something seriouse that it literlly radiates sadness or sincerity...ofcourse its not as easy to learn, itl take u a few years to get it good, but i say go with it, and dont drop it because it will seem hard,..all those verbs and nouns will come naturlly to you as you get used to the langauge, but for now go with just talking to someone that is Russian, u will learn more if u are around a group of foriegn speakers then you would with one teacher in a classroom.

Taylortony
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Chinese would be handy, so next time they are insulting you at your local take away and telling each other to drop stuff in your food, you will get to know their secret ingredients from *** ash to boogies.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The secret word *** is English slang for Cigarette and not the term for a person that comes at you from behind........ which in this game makes us all one lol.... ahhh don't you just like Ubi's filters.... or is that Filter tips as the case may be..

LEBillfish
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeufelHund84:

I think Russian would be fascinating to learn but I'm told it's rather difficult, something about it having so many different verb conjugations and such? Arabic would be interesting as well and also quite useful given the nature of my major, and I certainly cannot rule out the others. But I can only choose one so...........................................any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Recently I have been reading a number of credible articles and seeing programs where there seems to be a common thread.....Though I can't recall the exact date (so will insert one)...Here goes;

That common thread being, that by 2025, what is currently known as "China" WILL be the next financial, economic, industrial, manufacturing, technological, military, etc. etc. leading world power replacing the United States as it had Europe.............In all cases it was stated this is not just a possibility, or probability, yet absolutely assured barring any extreme result of war or natural disaster (like a comet knocks china off the planet). I've yet to see one expert disagree with this.

On the shorter term (how youth thinks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif), Cuba without a doubt will very soon here be experiencing some very significant changes. In kind though languages vary, the Central and South America continue to grow and develop at astonishing rates......There is no shortage of opportunities south of the U.S. border as long as you're fluent in Spanish.

triggerhappyfin
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Foreigners are odd people...Think of it...walking along whole day thinking in some of the funny languages...How in hell do they figure out what they think http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Doolittle81
08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Your choice of language depends entirely on your plans for the future...it's a very individual choice.

My thoughts on various languages, from a native English Speaker, follow:

China is the up and coming power(economically) in the world. I've just finished my first year studying Chinese(Mandarin/Putonghua, of course) and spent three weeks in China in April. It is a tonal language, so it is difficult at first, but grammatically it is actually quite simple. Of course, learning even the bare minimum number of Hanzi (characters) takes considerable effort. All other factors being equal, I'd highly recommend Chinese as the best choice...be advised, though, that the drop-out rate for introductory Chinese(101, so to speak) is horrendously high!!! In my University class/course er, student..free tuition! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ] we started in September in Chinese 101 with 28 students, 14 of whom were second or third generation Chinese-Americans(who spoke at home Some or a Lot of Cantonese but couldn't read Hanzi and/or couldn't speak Mandarin, etc)...by mid-term there were on 16 students, by the Final Exam in December there were only 12 remaining. Second semester in January saw only 5 of us continuing on, with 4 of us completing that second semester.

Russian would be useful to you only, I would think, if you plan to do business specifically with Russian people/companies/etc. As noted above by someone else, you'll have to learn Cyrillic alphabet and master unique sounds/pronunciation, and it is fairly challenging grammatically (more so than Chinese, in my opinion). I've done three years of Russian, a long time ago, when it was useful to me during the Cold War when I was in the US military/intelligence business.

German...Two years study and lived there for 8 years...I could never get down/remember all the correct der's die's den's etc...so I generally slur them into a generic 'dddnrn' Good language to know if plan to spend time in Germany...Other than that, not sure where else it has come in handy for me, personally.

Japanese...I've had 2 1/2 years of Japanese, and lived in Japan 5 years...Again, you'll have to learn Kanji (characters), but there are other writing/reading forms which do not use (many/much) Kanji..Hirigana, Katakana, Romanji, etc.. To learn the basics, enough to carry on a conversation at your local Sushi Restaurant or as a tourist in Japan, it's surprisingly simple...but to master the grammar gets increasingly difficult as there are vastly different forms/verbs/etc to be used depending on the 'situation', who is speaking to who in terms of social position, etc, etc... Japan is a great place to visit... The Japanese travel a lot, so if you are planning to enter the Hospitality (resort management, travel agency, etc) field, this might be a good language to pursue.

Spanish you have already taken. It's one of the world's simplest languages, in my opinion. I also took Spanish for 2 years in High School. As it is a 'romance' language, and since you said that you had no trouble learning/mastering it, it will be very easy for you to pick up any of the others should it become specifically necessary to do so as you pursue your careeer... Italian, French, even Romanian...you'll just need to do some self-study to grasp the basics (and vocabulary) of any one of those very quickly when you find the need to do so. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend that you devote any time in the immediate future to studying a second, randomly picked, romance language.

Arabic I know only a small bit of...if you are going into the military or law enforcement, it could prove very useful. Arabic speaking countries do not seem to offer expanding economic/business opportunites, in my opinion, but I could be wrong. Again, unless you are leaning specifically towards some career which you see taking you to the Middle East, I'd not go for Arabic. As always, that's just my opinion.

Good Luck!