PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain - Artificial Pilots

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 11:59 PM
One thing I would like to see is the AI 'pilots' of aicraft having personalities. They could then vary depending upon the weather, time of day, morale, general progress of the war, what they had for breakfast etc etc. Wow, imagine if the AI pilots could 'form friends' in their squadrons and get really mad if you shoot a mate down!

Not only that, it would be really neat if AI pilots could learn how you play. They would be shipped with general abilties but they could then learn, get better and adopt tactics according to how you play. The same could be applied to ground units and so forth, making the game learn and be non-linear and non-the-same on everyones machine - now that would be awesome. For example, you patrol at certain times in certain places and the computer pilots 'learn' that is your pattern and take measures to avoid or surprise you.

Perhaps a way to determine ace, novice etc would be to make the AI pilots have natural strengths in different areas, like aircraft recognition, stamina, speed of learning etc. With such a system I could envisage some truly awesome games developing.

/m

<font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="2" >__________________

It's enough to make you want to hide in the wardrobe of darkness.
http://www.raf-cott.demon.co.uk/images/GR7%20top%20Dinas%20Mawddwy.jpg

<font size="1">Pentium 4 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB Hyperthreading | Abit IC7 Max 3 | 256Mb Radeon 9800 Pro |
2 x WD Raptor 10,000rpm S-ATA's (RAID 0) | 1Gb OCZ PC4000 Dual Channel Gold Series DDR |
Coolermaster 'Black Widow' | Zalman 7000-CPU Cooler | Track-IR | 3.5Ghz overclock | 940Mhz FSB |
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX | Microsoft FF2 Joystick | 3DMark2003:6234 | 3DMark2001SE:19568</font></font></p></p>

</p>

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 11:59 PM
One thing I would like to see is the AI 'pilots' of aicraft having personalities. They could then vary depending upon the weather, time of day, morale, general progress of the war, what they had for breakfast etc etc. Wow, imagine if the AI pilots could 'form friends' in their squadrons and get really mad if you shoot a mate down!

Not only that, it would be really neat if AI pilots could learn how you play. They would be shipped with general abilties but they could then learn, get better and adopt tactics according to how you play. The same could be applied to ground units and so forth, making the game learn and be non-linear and non-the-same on everyones machine - now that would be awesome. For example, you patrol at certain times in certain places and the computer pilots 'learn' that is your pattern and take measures to avoid or surprise you.

Perhaps a way to determine ace, novice etc would be to make the AI pilots have natural strengths in different areas, like aircraft recognition, stamina, speed of learning etc. With such a system I could envisage some truly awesome games developing.

/m

<font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="2" >__________________

It's enough to make you want to hide in the wardrobe of darkness.
http://www.raf-cott.demon.co.uk/images/GR7%20top%20Dinas%20Mawddwy.jpg

<font size="1">Pentium 4 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB Hyperthreading | Abit IC7 Max 3 | 256Mb Radeon 9800 Pro |
2 x WD Raptor 10,000rpm S-ATA's (RAID 0) | 1Gb OCZ PC4000 Dual Channel Gold Series DDR |
Coolermaster 'Black Widow' | Zalman 7000-CPU Cooler | Track-IR | 3.5Ghz overclock | 940Mhz FSB |
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX | Microsoft FF2 Joystick | 3DMark2003:6234 | 3DMark2001SE:19568</font></font></p></p>

</p>

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 01:26 AM
Yes, some games have the ability to raise skill levels as the AI grow, but that's only skil, not personality. That's not a bad idea. I really want a game where you can go to the mess hall and everything, so it's from simulation to RPG sorta thing. This would be good if you start a mission by the airfield, as the pilot, and then you must scramble to your plane, turn on the engine, and get the heck outta there to kill them bombers.

----------------------------------------
"When you hit hell, tell 'em I sent ya!"

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 01:43 AM
I'm doing a bit of a research paper together right now on AI. What you suggest would probably require the building of a neural network system which would then probably spend a few years learning how to fly, nevermind adapt to ever changing situations.

Its a fantastic idea...but until we have true AI, not just pre-programmed intelligence that has a limited amount of adaptation and decision making skills, it won't happen.

This is probably 10 years or more down the road.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/icefire/icefire_tempest.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 01:46 AM
that would be cool...but really really hard to do /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Steaks
375th FS

Is it Pets Mart...or Pet Smart????

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 01:55 AM
Play Team Apache, you can feed crew members ice cream.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 05:52 AM
id like ACE AI to be really good

ACE is sometimes good & sometimes utter cr@p lol

no wait its mostly useless