PDA

View Full Version : Is there much benefit to having a surround sound speaker system?

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Hi there ya ol,

I heard that the sound in FB isn't it's strongest point (technically speaking perhaps - it sounds alright to me).

If it was worth it, I would buy a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

What are your experiences?

Will PF be any different sound-wise?

Ta,

The-Good-Guy

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-08-2004, 05:14 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

(Ahem)

In short NO

Did you just get a tax rebate or something?!?

madsarmy
10-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Surround sound will make a big difference to you listening pleasure. I would not be without it.

I doubt that PF sound will be any different to FB, but you never know.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Certainly it helps...as long as you listen to it through the speakers. I find I use my headphones 99.9% of the time as I'm usually on coms with someone or it's later in the evening and I don't want to disturb anyone else in the house (read...my Wife!)

Besides, using headphones looks cool. Especially when combined with TrackIR and a big reflective-tape-encrusted wooden ball sticking out from it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ELEM
10-08-2004, 06:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The-Good-Guy:
Hi there ya ol,

I heard that the sound in FB isn't it's strongest point (technically speaking perhaps - it sounds alright to me).

If it was worth it, I would buy a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

What are your experiences?

Will PF be any different sound-wise?

Ta,

The-Good-Guy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not sound quality that's bad, it's sound accuracy. They are synthetic sounds and not those of the real engines. Surround sound is well worth having to add to the atmoshere of the sim. I don't give a **** if it disturbs anyone else in the house (read...my partner!) I like it LOUD!

HART_dreyer
10-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Headphones are probably a lot better (increase skill), although Speakers probably increase the immersion aspect. I always use headphones.

Skarphol
10-08-2004, 07:14 AM
I've played with 5 speakers and a subwoofer (is that 5.1?) for a year or so, and I can say it adds a little to the immersion, but has absolutely no effect to me when it comes to situational awareness or something like that. The subwoofer is maybe the most valuable part of it, the surroundsystem doesn't add that much more to the gameplay in my opinion.

B16Enk
10-08-2004, 07:32 AM
I would say yes, and I am upgrading from 5.1 (yes Skarphol that's what you have) to 7.1.

I listen to music and play a bit of Bass too, and I have been known to indulge in COD:UO which sounds incredible with a good speaker set up.

If it disturbs anyone else in the house (read...wife, 3 kids, 4 cats, 2 dogs, 4/3* chickens and 7 fish) then I won't hear them complain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

* 4/3 because I have just been told one has gone missing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AusDerReihe
10-08-2004, 08:10 AM
5 speaker and a woofer doesn't mean you have 5.1 actually. 5.1 is Dolby Digital. Older surround systems like Dolby Pro Logic also uses 5 speakers and an optional woofer. The difference between Dolby Digital and Pro Logic lies in the rear speakers, where they are MONO in the Pro Logic system and STEREO in the Digital. when you hear sound coming from the rear speakers in Pro Logic, you hear exactly the same sound from both speakers, opposed to Digital where both the volume level AND what you hear can be different for each.

for true benefit of a sorround system, Digital or Pro Logic, the game must support it. i'm not sure what type of sound system this game has.

so, if the game supports 5.1 surround sound, and you have dolby digital, you wouyld be able to hear the enemy shooting at you from 7-8 o'clock from your left rear speaker. if it supports Pro Logic and you have such a system, you would hear the sound from that same enemy from BOTH rear speakers, not just the left one.

Simjock
10-08-2004, 08:17 AM
I noticed a hudge improvment when I installed the SB Audigy, and a 5 speaker set. Yeh, You'll notice it.

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 08:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AusDerReihe:
5 speaker and a woofer doesn't mean you have 5.1 actually. 5.1 is Dolby Digital. Older surround systems like Dolby Pro Logic also uses 5 speakers and an optional woofer. The difference between Dolby Digital and Pro Logic lies in the rear speakers, where they are MONO in the Pro Logic system and STEREO in the Digital. when you hear sound coming from the rear speakers in Pro Logic, you hear exactly the same sound from both speakers, opposed to Digital where both the volume level AND what you hear can be different for each.

for true benefit of a sorround system, Digital or Pro Logic, the game must support it. i'm not sure what type of sound system this game has.

so, if the game supports 5.1 surround sound, and you have dolby digital, you wouyld be able to hear the enemy shooting at you from 7-8 o'clock from your left rear speaker. if it supports Pro Logic and you have such a system, you would hear the sound from that same enemy from BOTH rear speakers, not just the left one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks to ya ol for your replies.

In particular, thanks AusDerReihe: that's the kind of specific information which really helps make the right decision.

So the next question: Does FB/PF support 5.1 or 7.1 or what?

RevvinUK
10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
I've recently purchase a 7.1 speaker setup, although IL-2:FB may not fully utilise it the sub-woofer sounds awesome when you're flying through flak and the deep roar of the engine at low idle as you taxi. It's something I missed using headphones for many years and now I use Bluetooth headset for voice comms so if you're lucky enough to be on a server with me I can give you a running commentary from the toilet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Owlsphone
10-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Since you seem to have money burning a hole in your pocket, the real question is do you have TrackIR yet?

Hawgdog
10-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Quality headphones. Blots out the phone ringing, dog barking TV etc.
I had surround sound and its in the basement. Too much **** on the desktop, and you'll always hear everything else unless its so loud you damage your eardrums.
Love the headphones.
A top notch mobo, onboard sound and gooood usb headphones work dam good.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Update/clarification: With a wife, 5 kids, cat, Prairie Dog, carnivorous African frog and a fish, alone time is a premium in my house...so I use headphones. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

AusDerReihe
10-08-2004, 11:42 AM
in the manual 5.1 is mentioned in relation to sound setup for the game. surround is also an option in il2setup, under 'Speaker Type'.

there are a number of systems that simulate surround sound, some using only two speakers like headphones, others use 4. if IL2 doesn't generate a true surround sound signal, my guess is that the sound is just distributed evenly across all speakers. the manual on CD2 of Forgotten Battles doesn't mention anything about the sound system of the game, atleast not that i can find.

if someone can find out, please let me know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BM357_TinMan
10-08-2004, 12:47 PM
I run a 5.1 setup, with surround sound selected in FB setup. It makes a bit of an improvement, especially the subwoofer. (too much subwoofer in 109's if you ask me).

But where 5.1 really shines is in COD. Game sounds great, but for some reason, I get that stupid "Hunk allocate" error thing when I try to run in highest sound quality...weird.

Anyway, short is, yea, it sounds a little better (in FB) as far as imersion is concerned, but THAT much better than wearing a good headset and the headset doesn't bother anybody else http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

BSS_Goat
10-08-2004, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
_ _5_ kids, [QUOTE]

Holy Shlt Thunderbolt your an ACE!

x6BL_Brando
10-08-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you qualified that Enk - I was getting confused trying to think what four-thirds of a chicken could look like. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif A triplane maybe? Overmodelled for sure!
(I hope you found the little booger, it's probably off hiding an egg somewhere)

Oh yeah, 'n' I second the comment about TrackIR!

Bearcat99
10-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Ive got an inexpensive set of Creative 5.1s on my Soundstorm..... I like it. When Im alone I like to turn down the chatter and turn up the volume. The feel of my P-47s Pratt & Whitney vibrating up through my desktop is priceless...

Aaron_GT
10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
With EAX if you select your speaker type as 'headphone' you should get some modelling of occlusion due to ears etc. which should give you all the situational awareness you need. But then in a WW2 fighter you aren't going to hear much more than comms, your engine, and maybe your guns and some flak. There isn't a lot of situational awareness to be had from your ears in that sort of situation.

What would probably add to the immersion more is a 'rumble seat'. You can either buy sound-to-forcefeeback type devices, or buy or make what is essentially a fully enclosed subwoofer that you sit on (replacing your normal chair). It allows you to simulate the visceral feel of a Merlin throbbing a few feet from you (is it me or does that sound dirty?) without needing to turn your amp up to 11.

The-Good-Guy
10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
There have been several positive posts regarding headphones.

The question I havea bout them is how well they work with voice comms. I was planning to have IL2 sound through the speakers and voice-comms through a headset.

But do headsets-only work okay in this regard?

Thanks

The-Good-Guy

PS TrackIR? Oh yeah. I wouldn't want to play Il2 without it. Are there still people who don't have it? Oh my........

Rogodin
10-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I have a great gaming headset-plus a highend Grado Headset-the gaming headset has full sourround ear cones PLUS a boom mic-it also has two 1/8" jacks-so I can hear everything through the headphones PLUS I can us comms and hear what I'm saying.

But I also have a toslink cable running from my Soundcard into my fiberoptic imput on my Onkyo TS701 HT Reciever-running true 6.1 with a 12" shiva in a 20hz tuned enclosure-Rear and Rear center are mounted up behind me about a foot above my ears (as they should be)-so when I fly using the HT system-I enable NEO 6 (not discete mind you-but quite amazing). I personally like to fly with the HT giving me the sound-since it's close to $4000 just in the components.

But if you have a low end system-or a MMC package then headphones might be best.

Rogo