PDA

View Full Version : friggin AI

The_Gorey
06-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Started up a new offline campaign today. Southern Front, Germany, Crimea 1942.

First mission out, all my wingmates get shot down. next thing i know i got every single I16 on the planet after me. no problem for the F4. spiral climb and pounce them. knocked one down, then spiral climbed up to 6km. still 8 i-16's following me. decided i better head home while i still have the fuel. so i dove away and easily lost them.

as im in the landing pattern back at base, the flack starts going off.. there they are, like leeches.

do they not RTB? or are they just programmed to kill the player until killed themselves?

The_Gorey
06-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Started up a new offline campaign today. Southern Front, Germany, Crimea 1942.

First mission out, all my wingmates get shot down. next thing i know i got every single I16 on the planet after me. no problem for the F4. spiral climb and pounce them. knocked one down, then spiral climbed up to 6km. still 8 i-16's following me. decided i better head home while i still have the fuel. so i dove away and easily lost them.

as im in the landing pattern back at base, the flack starts going off.. there they are, like leeches.

do they not RTB? or are they just programmed to kill the player until killed themselves?

Fennec_P
06-05-2005, 04:30 AM
The AI is programmed to attack the nearest target until it's dead, or something triggers them to change behavior.

Like low fuel, no ammo, damage, etc.

Other than that, they'll follow you to the ends of the earth. Not just the player, but any plane they are attacking.

SeaFireLIV
06-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Well, they do turn around sometimes. I`m not sure what the trigger is. Maybe low ammo, but a couple of times I`ve had them turn away just when approaching a friendly base.

Be glad you`re in a 109, it`s much more difficult to escape if you`re in an I16 desperately trying to get home with faster luftwaffe after you. It`s truly a case of, run, turn, run, turn, run - maybe live or get shot down.

But i`m not complaining, I just imagine that the enemy truly hate me.

And just before the AI bashing begins, just remember this happens quite a lot online, once Humans decide they aren`t going to let you get away.

Flying_Nutcase
06-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Mmm. The AI is often annoying.

But with technology like dual and quad-core processors coming, and apparently a new approach to AI programming, BoB should have much more sophisticated AI code. It'll be interesting.

BTW, I still love your '109 Legend' vid. In terms of action and music that's the greatest, IMHO. An IL2 classic.

Brain32
06-05-2005, 05:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Be glad you`re in a 109, it`s much more difficult to escape if you`re in an I16 desperately trying to get home with faster luftwaffe after you. It`s truly a case of, run, turn, run, turn, run - maybe live or get shot down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I know exactly what you mean it's a freakin' nightmare, even if you survive the pursuit you will land running on fumes, while running away from i-16 in a me109 is a yoke, just dive,fly low and run on max safe thrrotle, there is no way they can catch you...

TROOPER117
06-05-2005, 06:42 AM
I've found that if you have to break and make a run for it, yes, an enemy that has targeted you will follow.
But, as with a couple of 109's that gave chase to me, (out of ammo, legging it for home, bit of damage), they managed to close, but after weaving and diving flat out I reckon they must have run out of ammo too and eventualy turned away. Pretty realistic AI I thought!
Definately gave me the '109 twitch'. lol
Also if you are being pursued and use the radio commands, if any of your squadron are still alive and not otherwise engaged, they will respond pretty rapidly, again, good AI I have to say!

Regards...Dave S.

The_Gorey
06-05-2005, 12:21 PM
hopefully in the next game they'll make AI break off if you've gone out of visual range. not very realistic to have planes outside of visual range still be able to track where you are going.

F4U_Flyer
06-05-2005, 11:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hopefully in the next game they'll make AI break off if you've gone out of visual range. not very realistic to have planes outside of visual range still be able to track where you are going. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my thoughts too! Try doing an sbd campaign , you pull the three zeros of your leader and they follow and cut you to shreds. Then when there finished they use there secret radar and fly straight at your wing man who made the target but never gets home! Sheesh!

Kernow
06-06-2005, 02:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
And just before the AI bashing begins, just remember this happens quite a lot online, once Humans decide they aren`t going to let you get away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, and they won't break-off for low fuel, enemy on their 6, certain death...

JerryFodder
06-06-2005, 03:49 AM
It's not just the enemy AI that are the problem, it's your buddies. Usually they disobey orders if you're in command but the worst situation is where you see one in trouble, say in a 2 on 1, and you go out and help but all that happens is that the moment you arrive he buggers off leaving you in a 2 v 1 - even calls for help are ignored. Last time that happened I escaped, caught the culprit up and gave him a burst of death - that'll learn him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Atomic_Marten
06-06-2005, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Be glad you`re in a 109, it`s much more difficult to escape if you`re in an I16 desperately trying to get home with faster luftwaffe after you. It`s truly a case of, run, turn, run, turn, run - maybe live or get shot down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I know exactly what you mean it's a freakin' nightmare, even if you survive the pursuit you will land running on fumes, while running away from i-16 in a me109 is a yoke, just dive,fly low and run on max safe thrrotle, there is no way they can catch you... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had exactly the same experiences. In most cases AI will follow enemy planes 'till they are destroyed or they destroy the target plane. They may give up, by some triggers, but if you have AI on tail never rely on that. A lot of check 6 is needed.

However you can ease the pain by 'time warp'. It would not engage if enemy flak or airplanes are around, so that can help. Other way is to ask friendly fighters for help -- if they say your six is clear than everything is OK.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I agree the worst campaign nightmare is to have plane that is slower than AI plane they will always catch you up, but as a rule, in those cases you will have better turning airplane, so that can be exploited a lot.

SeaFireLIV
06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:

I agree the worst campaign nightmare is to have plane that is slower than AI plane they will always catch you up, but as a rule, in those cases you will have better turning airplane, so that can be exploited a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. In fact I`m not complaining at all. I could quite imagine that in reality in the early days of the Invasion of Russia, that eager Luftwaffe pilots probably chased a lot of fleeing I16 pilots to their deaths. Of course, later in the war they probably would have turned off once they felt the enemy were fleeing rather than pursuing all the way to the enemy base.

I think a lot of people who complain about some AI tactics lack a little imagination....

mortoma
06-08-2005, 11:55 AM
If I were online, I would behave much the same as the AI did in the the original post. Although I hate to admit this of course. But I'd feel no fear in following an enemy all the way to their base, regardless of the risk. Of course were it real life, I'd be a bit more sensible!!

Atomic_Marten
06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
Of course were it real life, I'd be a bit more sensible!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey but the game is RL for AI. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Aero_Shodanjo
06-08-2005, 12:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I think a lot of people who complain about some AI tactics lack a little imagination.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or just p*ssed off that an artificial intelligence can shoot them down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif