PDA

View Full Version : Series of Rookie Mistakes

ILikePortillos
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
First of all, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here. I was looking for Pacific Fighters, but I only saw IL-2. . .so excuse me if I'm in the wrong location. That being said. . .

I have to preface this by saying that I'm not a rookie to flight simulators. I've been virtually flying for about a decade. I've logged many hours on Combat Flight Simulator 2 and IL-2, but this was my first career mission on Pacific Fighters. So, I was pretty excited to get started. So excited, that I made a series of errors that led to some humorous results.

My first error was forgetting to set my flaps for takeoff. Luckily, I was able to climb without issue.

My second error occured over the attack point. I know this sounds lame, but I kept the plane on autopilot during the attack run. I was flying a Japanese dive-bomber, and with there being precious little instruction in the art of dive bombing in this specific aircraft, I chose to take notes on how the AI performed the run. As we rolled into the dive, I looked through the recticle but saw nothing. I failed to note the airspeed or altitude during the dive, because I was waiting to see the target appear. It turns out there's a lense cover over the recticle, to prevent scratching I would assume. I never saw knew that, so there you were. Our bombs dropped and I might as well have been back on the carrier reading a book. I learned nothing. lol

It wasn't until halfway back that I found out that the thing was even called a recticle, and that "Ctrl-D" toggled it.

Right about then, I made my third mistake. Having selected the "Limited Fuel" option when creating the career, my plane runs out of fuel roughly 80 Nautical Miles short of the carrier. Once again, I'm burned by not making myself more familliar with the controls of the plane pre-flight, I set about trying to find out how to switch fuel tanks. Then I find out what most readers of this post probably know already, that you can't switch fuel tanks (even though I was looking right at the switch . . . oh well).

Having made the incorrect assumption that my flight leader would have ensured we had enough fuel for the trip (apparently, they have unlimited fuel), and realizing that I could not switch fuel tanks, I decide to attempt a splash landing on the calm ocean below.

This was my fourth, and final mistake. I lined that baby up and had full flaps deployed at nearly stall speed when my landing gear (because I'm flying a Val with non-retractable gear) dig into the water, pounding the nose of the plane into the water. The plane sank quickly without allowing me or the tail-gunner to escape. In all of the excitement, I forgot that I couldn't retract my gear. I assume that a water landing is possible in certain aircraft.

So, I'm starting a new career with unlimited fuel because I don't want to be the only plane in my groups with a drop-tank, and I know that if the engine on my fixed-gear dive bomber goes out, and I'm unable to land on a dry surface, that my best option is to bail out at a safe altitude.

It was a frustrating trip, but I have to say, the series of mistakes actually made it more amusing than anything. I just thought I'd share it with the community.

ILikePortillos
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
First of all, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here. I was looking for Pacific Fighters, but I only saw IL-2. . .so excuse me if I'm in the wrong location. That being said. . .

I have to preface this by saying that I'm not a rookie to flight simulators. I've been virtually flying for about a decade. I've logged many hours on Combat Flight Simulator 2 and IL-2, but this was my first career mission on Pacific Fighters. So, I was pretty excited to get started. So excited, that I made a series of errors that led to some humorous results.

My first error was forgetting to set my flaps for takeoff. Luckily, I was able to climb without issue.

My second error occured over the attack point. I know this sounds lame, but I kept the plane on autopilot during the attack run. I was flying a Japanese dive-bomber, and with there being precious little instruction in the art of dive bombing in this specific aircraft, I chose to take notes on how the AI performed the run. As we rolled into the dive, I looked through the recticle but saw nothing. I failed to note the airspeed or altitude during the dive, because I was waiting to see the target appear. It turns out there's a lense cover over the recticle, to prevent scratching I would assume. I never saw knew that, so there you were. Our bombs dropped and I might as well have been back on the carrier reading a book. I learned nothing. lol

It wasn't until halfway back that I found out that the thing was even called a recticle, and that "Ctrl-D" toggled it.

Right about then, I made my third mistake. Having selected the "Limited Fuel" option when creating the career, my plane runs out of fuel roughly 80 Nautical Miles short of the carrier. Once again, I'm burned by not making myself more familliar with the controls of the plane pre-flight, I set about trying to find out how to switch fuel tanks. Then I find out what most readers of this post probably know already, that you can't switch fuel tanks (even though I was looking right at the switch . . . oh well).

Having made the incorrect assumption that my flight leader would have ensured we had enough fuel for the trip (apparently, they have unlimited fuel), and realizing that I could not switch fuel tanks, I decide to attempt a splash landing on the calm ocean below.

This was my fourth, and final mistake. I lined that baby up and had full flaps deployed at nearly stall speed when my landing gear (because I'm flying a Val with non-retractable gear) dig into the water, pounding the nose of the plane into the water. The plane sank quickly without allowing me or the tail-gunner to escape. In all of the excitement, I forgot that I couldn't retract my gear. I assume that a water landing is possible in certain aircraft.

So, I'm starting a new career with unlimited fuel because I don't want to be the only plane in my groups with a drop-tank, and I know that if the engine on my fixed-gear dive bomber goes out, and I'm unable to land on a dry surface, that my best option is to bail out at a safe altitude.

It was a frustrating trip, but I have to say, the series of mistakes actually made it more amusing than anything. I just thought I'd share it with the community.

DKoor
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/smileys/welcome.gif

You are in the right spot.
What game version do you have?

And also about careers, most careers can be done at limited fuel... some are near impossible to fly tho, like the Hurricanes in Singapore (DGen).

ILikePortillos
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not sure of my game version (I'm at work right now). I think it's the latest version. I use Game Shadow to find and download all of my updates. Is there a version or mod that allows you to switch fuel tanks?

I'd obviously appreciate fuel management as an aspect of the game, but there seems to be no easy way of anticipating my requirements. I would assume that the group leader, if not myself, would make decisions for the group. If I'm the leader, I would think that I would have some sort of chart that tells me how far my aircraft could fly under certain conditions. I also assume that I would receive a fairly accurate estimate of the distance of any given mission, so that I could reference my chart to see how much fuel I would need. I learned the hard way that I would need an external tank to complete the Pearl Harbor mission.

Still, I'm a big fan of the game. I've got a nice, new machine, so my graphics levels are turned all the way up. The water looked really nice just before I ploughed into it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-28-2008, 01:21 PM
When the game loads up it should say what the version number is in the bottom left corner. Also check out this thread here for lots of useful info: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645

SeaFireLIV
05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILikePortillos:

This was my fourth, and final mistake. I lined that baby up and had full flaps deployed at nearly stall speed when my landing gear (because I'm flying a Val with non-retractable gear) dig into the water, pounding the nose of the plane into the water. The plane sank quickly without allowing me or the tail-gunner to escape. In all of the excitement, I forgot that I couldn't retract my gear. I assume that a water landing is possible in certain aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the fixed undercarriage does limit your water landing abilities. However, you should still be able to bail out... unless you killed yourself on your crashland or took too long to hit the `Bail out` key (and sank), but other than that you can still bail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILikePortillos:

So, I'm starting a new career with unlimited fuel because I don't want to be the only plane in my groups with a drop-tank, and I know that if the engine on my fixed-gear dive bomber goes out, and I'm unable to land on a dry surface, that my best option is to bail out at a safe altitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There`s no need to go unlimited fuel.

You should be fine with the same amount of fuel as with the AI as the AI lead is normally always correct. It sounds like your journey was a long one. IL2 is a VERY complex game, so things like Engine Management really matters, especially on long journeys.

Now I don`t fly japanese much, but I know that on some Allied aircraft you need to fly efficiently or you`ll use up fuel too fast. Set your supercharger to the correct level or try to limit your throttle input.

Was there AA/AAA? Were you hit? You might have been losing fuel all the way back and had no idea, especially since it`s easy to miss the notification when busy or if you don`t know where the fuel meter is.

I suggest going back to normal Fuel and continue the next few missions. Also set `Instant Mission Success` to OFF.

It was a frustrating trip, but I have to say, the series of mistakes actually made it more amusing than anything. I just thought I'd share it with the community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear your experiences. But try not to assume too much. continue with fuel on etc and start again as I said.

I also advise ditching Pacific fighters and getting IL2 1946 which has all of Pacific fighters plus much, much more and is the most updated version of PF out of the shop. You`ll be pleasantly pleased.

There`s a LOT to discover with this Sim.

ILikePortillos
05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the helpful link! I'll read it on the train ride home.

DKoor
05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not sure of my game version (I'm at work right now). I think it's the latest version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Check out the version, as Urufu_Shinjiro said here;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/il2v4071.gif

...low left corner. Pic above is taken from ver v4.071.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I use Game Shadow to find and download all of my updates. Is there a version or mod that allows you to switch fuel tanks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not any that I'm aware off... however mods, unless hacked, aren't officially allowed in the sim.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd obviously appreciate fuel management as an aspect of the game, but there seems to be no easy way of anticipating my requirements. I would assume that the group leader, if not myself, would make decisions for the group. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. Flight leader makes the call... so if you fly as lower ranked you wont be able to change it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I'm the leader, I would think that I would have some sort of chart that tells me how far my aircraft could fly under certain conditions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1 me too!
I'd love to see some of those charts... heck, I could make some of those too! Bad news is - it takes a lot of time to do such tests... good news - they are possible to do within the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also assume that I would receive a fairly accurate estimate of the distance of any given mission, so that I could reference my chart to see how much fuel I would need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I noticed that sometimes yes, you get distance to target in your mission... however sometimes you don't!
But this may be of some help;
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/map_distance.png
Be sure to check these progs (IL2 Compare and Hardball's Aircraft Viewer);
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=325
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=329
They contain info about aircraft, ordnance etc. etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Still, I'm a big fan of the game. I've got a nice, new machine, so my graphics levels are turned all the way up. The water looked really nice just before I ploughed into it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, like SeaFire said, there is much to be discovered with this game when you are new to it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

arjisme
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Well the fixed undercarriage does limit your water landing abilities. However, you should still be able to bail out... unless you killed yourself on your crashland or took too long to hit the `Bail out` key (and sank), but other than that you can still bail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some Japanese planes you cannot bail, right? This is because you don't have a parachute. I don't recall which planes this applies to and I haven't tested it either, but I assume if you can't bail in a plane, even when it is in the water or on the ground you can't bail from the plane.

DKoor
05-28-2008, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ar****e:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Well the fixed undercarriage does limit your water landing abilities. However, you should still be able to bail out... unless you killed yourself on your crashland or took too long to hit the `Bail out` key (and sank), but other than that you can still bail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some Japanese planes you cannot bail, right? This is because you don't have a parachute. I don't recall which planes this applies to and I haven't tested it either, but I assume if you can't bail in a plane, even when it is in the water or on the ground you can't bail from the plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think this is another case of;
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/fmb_ordnance.png
...clearing the little Parachute box http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif.

Seriously - it's not plane/operator related, it's exclusively FMB related (whether you check or clear the box).

WeedEater9p
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd recommend some time in the Hurricane. She's really stable and is easy to land. Plus, the gauges are in English http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.

I'd say the Spitfire would be a great plane to start fighting in, but learning how to use the 109 would help you get the jist of air-combat more because theres alot more then pulling on your stick.

Good-luck, alot of the people here multi-year are veterans of the game... So if you find yourself online, prepare to get yer rear-end waxed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

SeaFireLIV
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ar****e:
Well the fixed undercarriage does limit your water landing abilities. However, you should still be able to bail out... unless you killed yourself on your crashland or took too long to hit the `Bail out` key (and sank), but other than that you can still bail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some Japanese planes you cannot bail, right? This is because you don't have a parachute. I don't recall which planes this applies to and I haven't tested it either, but I assume if you can't bail in a plane, even when it is in the water or on the ground you can't bail from the plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think this is another case of;
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/fmb_ordnance.png
...clearing the little Parachute box http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif.

Seriously - it's not plane/operator related, it's exclusively FMB related (whether you check or clear the box). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also believe there`s an even easier way by changing the parachute settings in the ini. file.

I didn`t realise that if you cannot bail from japanese planes that you can`t bail when crashlanded on sea or ground either.

arjisme
05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I didn`t realise that if you cannot bail from japanese planes that you can`t bail when crashlanded on sea or ground either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well again, I was guessing on that part. I haven't actually tested it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

M_Gunz
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Right about then, I made my third mistake. Having selected the "Limited Fuel" option when creating the career, my plane runs out of fuel roughly 80 Nautical Miles short of the carrier. Once again, I'm burned by not making myself more familliar with the controls of the plane pre-flight, I set about trying to find out how to switch fuel tanks. Then I find out what most readers of this post probably know already, that you can't switch fuel tanks (even though I was looking right at the switch . . . oh well). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While the switching of tanks is automatic, you have Complex Engine Management set on or maybe
took a hit to a fuel tank. With CEM on you might not be cruising economically, power and rpm's
lowered to save fuel. If you took a fuel tank hit then so sorry, you is going down!

Portillos is a restaurant? Never seen one but Google has....

Bearcat99
05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
First of all, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here. I was looking for Pacific Fighters, but I only saw IL-2. . .so excuse me if I'm in the wrong location. That being said. . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://content.vcommerce.com/products/576/7274576/main-150.jpg
This is what you want.... then patch it. Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig for more help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have to preface this by saying that I'm not a rookie to flight simulators. I've been virtually flying for about a decade. I've logged many hours on Combat Flight Simulator 2 and IL-2, but this was my first career mission on Pacific Fighters. So, I was pretty excited to get started. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good thing.. and you will find that this sim is unlike anything you have ever flown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So excited, that I made a series of errors that led to some humorous results. My first error was forgetting to set my flaps for takeoff. Luckily, I was able to climb without issue.

It wasn't until halfway back that I found out that the thing was even called a recticle, and that "Ctrl-D" toggled it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats pretty good... you have no idea about how many people post in here asking about that... or why the gear on the F-4 wont go up... or why they cant get off the deck (chocks).. so you are doing alright.. Putting the plane on auto-pilot to see how the bombing goes was actually pretty smart.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Right about then, I made my third mistake. Having selected the "Limited Fuel" option when creating the career, my plane runs out of fuel roughly 80 Nautical Miles short of the carrier. Once again, I'm burned by not making myself more familliar with the controls of the plane pre-flight, I set about trying to find out how to switch fuel tanks. Then I find out what most readers of this post probably know already, that you can't switch fuel tanks (even though I was looking right at the switch . . . oh well).

Having made the incorrect assumption that my flight leader would have ensured we had enough fuel for the trip (apparently, they have unlimited fuel), and realizing that I could not switch fuel tanks, I decide to attempt a splash landing on the calm ocean below. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was actually a good thing... it gave you a chance to see how the sim is... limited fuel is good.. next time just select 100% fuel and maybe tanks if it is a long mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This was my fourth, and final mistake. I lined that baby up and had full flaps deployed at nearly stall speed when my landing gear (because I'm flying a Val with non-retractable gear) dig into the water, pounding the nose of the plane into the water. The plane sank quickly without allowing me or the tail-gunner to escape. In all of the excitement, I forgot that I couldn't retract my gear. I assume that a water landing is possible in certain aircraft.

It was a frustrating trip, but I have to say, the series of mistakes actually made it more amusing than anything. I just thought I'd share it with the community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool beans.... welcome aboard...

ILikePortillos
05-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the helpful insight! You're a quality bunch.

I won't give up on the realistic fuel. I'll try and recalculate how far I travelled before I ditched it and use that as a guide. Thanks DKoor for the measurements! I can use that! Thanks all for the notes on the parachute. I'm a realism fan, so I'd say if the Japanese didn't have parachutes in certain planes, then I won't use them. But WOW, could you IMAGINE?! It's like they're saying, "If you can't bring your plane back in one piece, you'd better not come back." Makes it a bit more desperate. The thing that sucks is that your guy should be able to easily climb out of the cockpit and step off the wing into the ocean, much like he would if he ran from the plane on the ground. . .without a parachute. It is entirely possible that my pilot was killed on impact though. I didn't really skim. I kind of dug right in there.

Basically, if I travel for a longer distance than I did for that last mission, I'll bring a tank.

M_Gunz, Portillos is a restaurant. They serve Italian Beef, Pizza, Chicago Style Hot Dogs, and other local favorites. It's not good for you, but it tastes good. I eat there once or twice a year. I just had trouble creating a User ID. So many things had been taken, so I picke a REALLY obscure reference. It worked.

Bearcat99, thanks for all of the guidance. I read the guides. I don't own a copy of 1946, and I'm a father-to-be, so I don't think I'll have enough free time to justify going out and buying it. I'll work with the standard copy I have right now. It will provide me with many more hours than I'm probably going to be able to use.

Thanks again all! I'll share my adventures with you!

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I do understand the free time and money issues there, lol. When you do have time, don't sweat the money too much cause it can be had for $19.95 or less. When you're ready to join the online world thats what you'll need. Check out the patches for Pacific Fighters as after 4.0 there is an improved physics and flight model. Have fun!

ILikePortillos
05-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay, so I went back in and tested a few things. I open a Quick Mission, and successfully bailed from a Val, both from the air, and after a wet landing. When I attempted this in the campaign, neither worked. I take that as meaning that the Val pilots had no parachutes during the early war, at least. Also, I cannot seem to add a drop tank to the Val, so there's two strikes. Before I attempt to try this again with limited fuel and complex engine management, I wanted to get your opinions.

Seing as I'm a low ranking officer, the lowest in my group of 3, how hard would it be to trim my aircraft settings to maximize fuel efficiency if I have to follow the altitude, direction and airspeed of my flight leader? Is this doable? Any pointers? I'd just hate to be two hours into it again, only to float down into the drink.

M_Gunz
05-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Learn to lower your rpm and throttle to find efficient cruise.
The faster the engine runs, the more air and fuel it uses at any mixture.
See about mixture too esp if you are trailing dark exhaust. Lean it out but watch engine
temperature to not get too lean a mixture.

Don't you have those with M$FS?

arjisme
05-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Seing as I'm a low ranking officer, the lowest in my group of 3, how hard would it be to trim my aircraft settings to maximize fuel efficiency if I have to follow the altitude, direction and airspeed of my flight leader? Is this doable? Any pointers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One thing to remember is don't point your nose at your leader during the initial climb out in an effort to keep up. You will climb faster if you keep your nose below your group. Don't know if you are doing that, but if you are you might also be running much longer at full throttle than is necessary in an effort to stay with the flight.

ILikePortillos
07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey. I just thought I'd post back in with this one on what I've learned. I'm still running with realistic fuel management, and yes, early Japanese pilots don't seem to have parachutes in many of their planes. None the less, I'm sticking with realism. But all is not lost if your plane is going down.

I've found out that if you land the plane and survive, you could quit the game, and apply it to your campaign. In short, if you land on the surface in friendly territory, you've met the mission requirements. This includes water landings. The key is making sure you put it down without killing the occupants, then exiting the mission before the plane sinks. You can't bail out, but you can end the game.

That's just an FYI for anyone out there who could use it. I'm sure most of you already know that, but if there are any new pilots in the forum, its a bit of information that allows you to fly realistically, and still have an emergency plan.

Xiolablu3
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
If you see nothing thr9ough the gunsight reticule, try Crtl D, some have a lens cover on and ctrl-D removes it.

Other planes have the gunsight off centre, I think its ctrl-f1 to centre the sight.

lbuchele
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
shift-F1 to center the gunsight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Not sure what game version you have, but one of the better intro campaigns for new players wanting to so some mud moving is the German 109 JABO built in DGEN dynamic campaign. When starting the campaign set as many early plane choices to Emil as you can. Remember to click back on the first date/plane before proceeding.

The JABO campaign in an Emil is an excellent learning tool because the Emil is a beautiful plane to fly down low at slow speed and you get ridiculous amounts of MG ammo (recently restarted this one and got 3 I16's and 23 vehicles in my second mission ... 2 medals in 2 missions woot) and generally your AI can take care of the main target and any fighters roaming about letting you roam the map yourself looking for targets of opportunity to practice on.

Note that flying ground attack in IL2 benefits immensely from TrackIR .

KrashanTopolova
07-10-2008, 10:47 PM
It's not strictly true that many Japanese pilots chose to fly without parachutes. More often than not they were just not given them. I don't know why...perhaps lack of parachutes?

It may be rare that extra fuel is needed for any map in the game. Usually the default fueltank(s) will be sufficient if the aircraft is flown properly in CEM.
To get best fuel economy lean the mixture at any height above 500m after you trim the aircraft for cruise. This is possible at low to very low altitudes without damaging the engine (at least this is the case in real life) Further mixture control may be needed the higher you go. To see this better fly the pc.11 if you've got it. It needs mixture edjustment just to keep the engine going sometimes; or fly the Yak 9's at a high speed climb.
Supercharger control is also necessary to control fuel economy at certain altitudes.

Trim supports best fuel economy because the aircraft does not lose momentum if it does not turn ot pitch up as it generally would under only stick pilot control (and therefore waste fuel). Formation flying is also a great way to run out of fuel.

If variable pitch propellor is fitted to the aircraft a typical egress may be this: prop pitch fully fine (100%) =&gt; takeoff =&gt; climb to cruise altitude =&gt; reduce mixture (maybe 70-80% or less) =&gt; reduce prop pitch (maybe 60-70% or even less) =&gt; reduce throttle to suit (you usually neecd to reduce throttle by around 50% to maintain cruise at RPM) = fuel economy

Blottogg
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
ILikePortillos, you're already doing better than most of us when we started. Like most of us, I had to search for the answers to the standard new guy questions like the gunsight on German aircraft, and lack of parachutes on early Japanese aircraft (for early war aircraft, this was historical, in a very Colin Chapman-esque obsession with reducing weight.)

A utility that will help you familiarize yourself with the aircraft is Harball's Aircraft Viewer (http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcd.cgi?az=redirect&link_id=000002117&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.netwings.org%2Ffiles%2FPaci ficFighters%2FMissions%2FHardBall%27s_Aircraft_Vie wer_for_Pacific_Fighters%2FHardBallsViewerNetwings Upload.zip). This lists range, but keep in mind what others have said, how you set the prop, mixture and supercharger, how high and fast you fly, and what weapons you carry, will affect that number greatly, as in real life.

A couple of other tips. When you've got your airplane on autopilot, it won't overheat, so you can keep the radiator closed, and avoid the increased drag for long flights. Trying to keep up with the AI (who doesn't overheat) while hand-flying will always leave you a little behind, or overheating, or both.

In the difficulty panel, I'd suggest disabling "No Instant Success", which it sounds like you've already done. In true double-negative fashion, this means "instant success", i.e. you don't have to get all the way back to base to move to the next mission. As long as you're not mortally damaged over enemy lines when you quit the mission, you should be able to progress to the next one.

You might want to consider starting a career at higher rank, too. It may not be as much fun as progressing though the ranks, but it gives you control over the fuel and weapons with which your flight starts the mission.

I'd also suggest disabling clouds offline. While they add to the atmosphere (literally and figuratively), you're the only one affected by them. The Ai will detect you, and shoot you, right through them. I'd disable turbulence in the difficulty panel also, for the same reason.

Good luck, and welcome. It's a lot of information to take in, but the plus side is that a sim as in-depth as this one is a sim that you'll definitely be flying for some time to come.