PDA

View Full Version : The complexity of dive bombing...

PenGs
10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't know if its just me but after a few many tries I have realized that it will take me quite some time to get this right. Especially this darn window floor panel... its hard to see anything through it.

So my question is do you guys have any tips aside from a lot of practice (which I'll be doing much of tomorrow)?

PenGs
10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't know if its just me but after a few many tries I have realized that it will take me quite some time to get this right. Especially this darn window floor panel... its hard to see anything through it.

So my question is do you guys have any tips aside from a lot of practice (which I'll be doing much of tomorrow)?

joe.08
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
to add to what you said (without answers unfortunately)i've seen threads like these before and they have all convinced me to give up on dive bombing to instead polish my marksmanship.

the thing is (or what it seems to be anyway) is that zeuscats(sp?) straight from the farm campaign gives what seems to to be an excellent "checklist" for a couple of the missions.

you read it(i wrote it down on a sticky) and it seems to make perfect sense.

but in practice, even if you follow the instructions, it is hard as hell.

so knowing the quality (an popularity) of the cats campaigns... what is it that could use some elaboration?

(ps i can land thanks to zeuscats tutorial and believe it should be included in the 409 patch)

peace

fabianfred
10-28-2007, 01:06 AM
I gave up on dive-bombing in favour of skip-bombing....much more successful

need to map a key to level bombing auto and unlock it to stop the stuka automatically dropping the bomb when it reaches a set height

joe.08
10-28-2007, 01:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I gave up on dive-bombing in favour of skip-bombing....much more successful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this was the general consensus in most all the other threads ive read.

ill have to give it a shot myself sometime.

msalama
10-28-2007, 01:24 AM
S!

The way I do it is that I rock the crate from wing to wing when over the area in order to both see the target and evade flak. And when I see it it's the bird over on its back, throttle to zero, dive brakes on, and straight down towards the ground. I usually start from some 3-5000ms AGL - depends on the situation like where're the interceptors at, how much flak is there, etc. - and release the payload when I'm still well over 1000m AGL. Then it's dive brakes up, throttle to max and a sharp turn preferably towards the home base followed by wildly throwing the bird around in order to evade any baddies and / or AA hitting me.

After all that it's down to the weeds and at max. constant power back to the base. Works w/ both the Pe-2 and the Stuka I've found.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and a couple of words about evasive manouvering and pulling out of a dive too:

1st off, be careful to pull out when you still have the altitude! This is easier w/ the Stuka than w/ the Pe-2 I've found, but both still require over 1000ms of altitude to do it safely in all circumstances. And as regards evasive manouvers use a corkscrew, it works very well! The way I've done it goes something like this: push the nose down, apply full right rudder and correct w/ opposite aileron as needed. This results in you going down in a right slip, which you then have to stop when you're VERY VERY close to the ground, i.e. still some 1-3 meters above it - takes some nerves and practice, but is doable at any rate. Follow that by doing a left slip upwards and repeat as needed, and that's one basic evasive manouver you'll find comes in very handy! Don't be too predictable, though, because the bandit at your six will then guess your game, so throw in a surprise or two every so often too in order to prevent them guessing where you'll be the next second!

I hope this is of assistance m8 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

rnzoli
10-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I recently had quite nice precision bombing practice runs with the Pe-2. But I use the bombsight, make an approach with the levell stab engaged around 3-4km, and when the boombsight angle is down to 0 degrees (manually adjusting every time), and just -10 marks away to target I roll over and dive on it nearly vertical.

msalama
10-28-2007, 01:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and just -10 marks away to target I roll over and dive on it nearly vertical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgr, thanks for the tip, sounds like a good trick too if/when the circumstances allow. S!

PenGs
10-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Well I'll try a few more times using zoli's and Salama's tips. Appreciate it guys.
I'd also look into some of these other bombings.

joeap
10-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Well we must be doing something wrong cause dive bombing was pretty successful right? I am ok with it...the only targets that give me real problems are ships. Even static ones. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif You need a direct hit to do any damage...even a close hit will damage bridges, soft skinned vehicles, planes on an airfield.

DKoor
10-28-2007, 03:30 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/350...491090895#4491090895 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/3501099795?r=4491090895#4491090895)

buzzsaw1939
10-29-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't hear anyone mentioning keeping the ball centered, crirtical on dive bombing!

msalama
10-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh, definitely, sorry. I forgot to mention this. So when you go down, use your rudder so that the slip ball is centered. i.e. you're actually going where the nose is pointing to!

Zoring
10-29-2007, 11:14 PM
As soon as the target appears through the little window your almost at the right point, i wait until its towards the back of the window drop the brakes, chop the throttle and push the nose straight down, none of that fancy rolling on your back (stylish as it looks).

Woosh straight down, keep the crosshairs centered, try to avoid slipping from side to side and when the siren starts bleeping let the bombs go and pull up.

han freak solo
10-30-2007, 07:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
I don't hear anyone mentioning keeping the ball centered, crirtical on dive bombing! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't center it DURING the dive, center it with trim BEFORE the dive. When you're nearly vertical, the ball doesn't have any use since your not pulling a consistent +G through the bottom of the aircraft, right?

In threads long ago, when I had trouble dive bombing, everyone told me to forget the rudder in the dive or you'll sling the bomb off to the side of the target. When I gave up the idea of centering the ball in the dive, I actually started to hit some targets. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Brain32
10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
When in a Stuka you don't have to blindly follow the dive bombing guide, ofcourse it's easier that way but the most important thing IMO for Stuka attack is that you really dive at 90deg. angle, not 70 not 100, but as close to 90 as possible, then you just put the target in the middle of your sight as if you were aiming for a fighter in AtoA and release it manually, don't go for that fancy auto-release stuff. I can't remember when was the last time I missed the target if I was not under enemy fighter attack and I'm talking direct hits here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

buzzsaw1939
10-30-2007, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by han freak solo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
I don't hear anyone mentioning keeping the ball centered, crirtical on dive bombing! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't center it DURING the dive, center it with trim BEFORE the dive. When you're nearly vertical, the ball doesn't have any use since your not pulling a consistent +G through the bottom of the aircraft, right?

In threads long ago, when I had trouble dive bombing, everyone told me to forget the rudder in the dive or you'll sling the bomb off to the side of the target. When I gave up the idea of centering the ball in the dive, I actually started to hit some targets. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

han.. Actually, all trims constantly change with air speed, when I dive the SBD, I have to keep it centerd or I can't hit worth a poop!

However, if your doing good your way, then you must be doing something right! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

han freak solo
10-30-2007, 05:52 PM
han.. Actually, all trims constantly change with air speed, when I dive the SBD, I have to keep it centerd or I can't hit worth a poop! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're correct!

Usually my dive speed isn't much greater than my cruise speed in some planes like the SBD or Val. However, put me in the Pe-2 and that puppy will shriek to the target compared to the others.

I haven't spent much time diving the Stuka for some reason. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

PenGs
10-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Well with all these success stories and all these failure stories, I gotta know the pros and cons of Dive and Skip bombing.

Aside from the whole altitude difference, what are the other differences?

Trigger_88
10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I just take a ki-43 with the biggest payload possible and fly about 5 feet off the water and orient my plane so as to face the very front of the ship so less aa bear down on me. I just keep straight and level very low and when i get really close to the carrier pull up then dive hard again and release bombs. Both plane and bombs skid accross the deck causing mass havock!!! BTW thats a kamakazi tutorial http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

han freak solo
10-30-2007, 10:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PenGs:
Well with all these success stories and all these failure stories, I gotta know the pros and cons of Dive and Skip bombing.

Aside from the whole altitude difference, what are the other differences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the game, my opinion . . . .

Dive Bombing, due to high starting altitude might keep you above a fighter CAP which would allow you a potentially successful attack run.

Skip Bombing, if surprise is not on your side, you might run a gauntlet of defense. Less likely to finish the attack run than dive bombing I would guess.

Dive Bombing, after the dive you have a short lived high escape speed. Usually higher than your max level speed.

Skip Bombing, escape speed is no greater than max level speed.

Dive Bombing, harder to hit a target. Bomb release while vertical is further away from the target due to aircraft pullout. Hitting a moving large ship or stationary target easy enough. Hitting moving ground vehicles, very difficult.

Skip Bombing, easier to hit a target. You can release right into the target from point blank if need be. Just keep the bomb delay high enough not to kill yourself.

zardozid
10-30-2007, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well we must be doing something wrong cause dive bombing was pretty successful right? I am ok with it...the only targets that give me real problems are ships. Even static ones. Crying You need a direct hit to do any damage...even a close hit will damage bridges, soft skinned vehicles, planes on an airfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO one of the reasons it's much harder dive bombing "in-game" as apposed to "real-life" is the lack of 3D (depth)...it's much easier timing your approach and lining up your run when you can judge the distance BY SIGHT.

The other problem is screen resolution and picking out your targets from a distance (its much harder in the game)against the background.

msalama
10-31-2007, 01:56 AM
Sure it's more difficult in-game, but tinkering w/ your settings can still help a lot. Being able to see your target from an altitude of 4-5km AGL or so is of course paramount, but so is your personal knowledge of the distance where the dots change into low LOD objects. And this of course depends on your settings - w/ mine I know I'm good when I start to see tiny rectangles instead of dots http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif