PDA

View Full Version : Dive brakes modeled in the P38?

vapors201
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Are the divebrakes modeled in the p38 in PF? I have mapped a key to "airbrakes" within the game and they seem to have no effect nor do I see any indication that they are deploying (no messages or anything). If they are labeled something else in the config other than airbrakes, I can't find that either. Also, on a side note, how do you remove the gun sight cover on some of the aircraft? Can't seem to find this in the documentation or readme.

Thanks!

Vapors

vapors201
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Are the divebrakes modeled in the p38 in PF? I have mapped a key to "airbrakes" within the game and they seem to have no effect nor do I see any indication that they are deploying (no messages or anything). If they are labeled something else in the config other than airbrakes, I can't find that either. Also, on a side note, how do you remove the gun sight cover on some of the aircraft? Can't seem to find this in the documentation or readme.

Thanks!

Vapors

Zyzbot
07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Airbrakes are modelled on the P-38L but not on the J.

IIRC.... Control D opens the gunsight cover.

VW-IceFire
07-27-2005, 12:30 PM
The P-38J we have is modeled after an early production J model. I think thats the J-5. Anyways the first J models with dive brakes was the J-25 which we don't have. But we have the slightly later P-38L which has the brakes and some other benefits.

thx1158
07-27-2005, 04:36 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
As a matter of record...J block 25 and up had factory installed electric air barkes...Lockheed made several hundred kits to retro-fit earlier J's in the field...which of course was done asap.

IL2-chuter
07-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Above right on, virtually all P-38's still flying at the end of the war had the brakes.

vapors201
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess I was flying a J model and assumed it had them since I had read a combat account from a Lightning pilot and he talked about using the dive brakes and he mentioned he was in a J. So I suppose his were retrofitted according to the information in this thread. I tested it in the L version and indeed it does have the dive brakes. Thanks!

Vapors

DmdSeeker
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
No P38 ever had dive "brakes"; they had dive "flaps"; which are a different device for a different function.

Dive brakes; such as on the A-36 or Stuka, are an aiming aid. They slow descent giving you more "gun sight time" and lessning pull out forces.

Dive flaps change the aerodynamic qualities of the wing profile; and are designed to help offset or delay the onset of compression. They don't function as "brakes"; but maintain controlability at high speed and altitude.

As such; you shouldn't see an effect with them; other than being able to maintain contolled flight at or very close to the planes critical mach speed.

vapors201
08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Forgive me, you are correct. I should have said dive flaps. As for as being able to recognize a difference, I was looking for the message acknowledging that I had indeed deployed them. Since I was not seeing them with the J model (and assumed that the J model had them) I was afraid they had not been modeled at all by Madox and friends.

Thanks
Vapors

AerialTarget
08-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Actually, although they were not supposed to be used as brakes, some pilots did anyway in combat. They reported that they caused to nose to pitch up rapidly, much as they do in the game.

Of course, this wasn't nearly as cool of a feature as the no wing drop accellerated stall, which we don't have in the game.