PDA

View Full Version : A more good use of this forum (Post Subject more readable)

GCMC_Soron
07-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Sorry for this boring stuff a little out of topic and so not directly concerning IL2, 1C or Oleg.
But every time I came on this forum (or other)
I found many topics like
- (For Oleg) I Have a Dream...
- On a very serious note
- Another bug...
- Hey Oleg did you ever think.......
- Thanks Oleg
- How Did I Miss This?

And so onâ...

But this is not correct to post like this, because we donâ't all have many time to open posts like that to see the real subject of the post. Most of the time real subject talked inside are not regarding me, and so, like other certainly, I waste time to open them and close them directlyâ... so for some I simply donâ't take time to open it and look if the content is useful or not.

So the post title should always be a kind of resume of the post content itself, to help users of this forum to select the correct post useful for him.

So please, is it possible to do more moderating job about it to make this good forum more usable, etcâ...

I talk about moderating job, but in fact itâ's clear it is to all users to be aware about this â˜good use of a forumâ'

Thanks

GCMC_Soron
07-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Sorry for this boring stuff a little out of topic and so not directly concerning IL2, 1C or Oleg.
But every time I came on this forum (or other)
I found many topics like
- (For Oleg) I Have a Dream...
- On a very serious note
- Another bug...
- Hey Oleg did you ever think.......
- Thanks Oleg
- How Did I Miss This?

And so onâ...

But this is not correct to post like this, because we donâ't all have many time to open posts like that to see the real subject of the post. Most of the time real subject talked inside are not regarding me, and so, like other certainly, I waste time to open them and close them directlyâ... so for some I simply donâ't take time to open it and look if the content is useful or not.

So the post title should always be a kind of resume of the post content itself, to help users of this forum to select the correct post useful for him.

So please, is it possible to do more moderating job about it to make this good forum more usable, etcâ...

I talk about moderating job, but in fact itâ's clear it is to all users to be aware about this â˜good use of a forumâ'

Thanks

LEXX_Luthor
07-03-2004, 06:44 AM
I rarely open threads unless the title tells me about the subject...unless its a Bearcat99 thread which I always open.

Yeah, threads with no real title is like a pop~up ad

"You will still have FB , you will lose nothing" ~WUAF_Badsight
"I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait..." ~Bearcat99
"Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age" ~ElAurens
:
"Damn.....Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

WB_Outlaw
07-03-2004, 10:19 AM
This forum should be nuked entirely. There should be a form for wishlists, suggestions, questions, and technical data. Once the user fills out the form and attaches any associated files, the developers can either reject the entry or place it on "the list". The rejected ones will have a short reason for the rejection and "the list" will have any developer comments and a ranking/priority system to show status such as "will be implemented ASAP", "likely to be implemented", "possible and desireable but unlikely due to...", "what a dumb idea, but we like it anyway...", "if you had a Cray...", etc.

Questions will be answered to the best of the team's ability.

The best thing about such a system is that no ressponses from the public will be allowed. 99.99999% of every response posted here is **** anyway so it won't make a difference.

-Outlaw.

heywooood
07-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a form of 'self moderation' is already being conducted by you fellers and thats the the way it should be..no? Do you want to have to submit a request to post an idea or a suggestion? I do not. Do I read every thread? No - I do not. I dont think there is too much harm in taking a second or two to scan a column or a thread to see for ones self if it warrants a reply, (or if it warrants existence in your world...relax)..but would I rather have someone else deciding if a post is useful? or relevant? based on their opinion or set of criteria (read agenda)...No.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/ac_32_1.jpg
"Check your guns"

[This message was edited by heywooood on Sat July 03 2004 at 10:03 AM.]

WB_Outlaw
07-03-2004, 04:37 PM
What's the difference between submitting a request and starting a new thread? Absolutely none.

The developers already decide if a post is useful or relevant based on their opinions, sets of criteria, and agendas, and they are the only ones that matter. Unless it's an official word from the development team every reply in this forum is just so much worthless drivel. How many topics see official replies? Practically none. As it is now, there is so much junk in here it's nearly useless as a tool for the users and developers to interact.

With a structured system for submissions and responses, the users would know exactly where they stand when it comes to features they would like to see implemented. For example, if a request is rejected due to lack of data, that would be noted in the response along with what data the user(s) needs to provide. Currently, when a post is made, everyone starts to throw in their opinions and by the time the development team sees it, there are five pages of meaningless posts.

Keep this forum if people want to use it to argue about things that the developers will almost certainly never comment on, but, develop a real system for interaction between users and developers.

-Outlaw.

Flakwalker
07-03-2004, 08:16 PM
"(For Oleg), I have a Dream..."

Sounds like Popstars, LOL http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

heywooood
07-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Start your own page - call it whatever you like - make people register their topics and research and then pick and chose what YOU think is valid - invite developers to come and look at it and see if it works... good on you if it does. Part of the problem at this moment is that the GD (general drivel) board is kaput, so you have some migration... ORR is usually more technical than it is just now.

"Check your guns"

WB_Outlaw
07-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Please explain how what I (or anyone other than the IL-2 development team) think is valid, possible, or feasible (whether it be from a technical, marketing, economic, or labor standpoint) will in any way shape or form, improve the communication between the IL-2 development team and the users. What you suggest is not even close to what I am suggesting and will so obviously be a total and complete failure it's not worth even mentioning.

The system I propose would require no more "registering" than this forum currently does. The biggest difference is that there would be no replies from other users, only the DEVELOPMENT TEAM (Key Term Here, Please Note It). If other users had technical information the DEVELOPMENT TEAM requested, they could attach it to the post but no long and drawn out unsubstantiated "I think" type posts. It would also be useful to have a polling system so other users besides the original poster could rank the post, say on a scale of 1 (I don't want it) to 10 (I have to have it). That way the developers could get a more quantified idea of what is important to the users. Right now it's the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" method. The fifty calibers discussion is a prime example of this. Miles and miles of posts spread across multiple topics with only vague replies from the developers. With a system like I propose a single topic with attached data would replace all of the useless garbage in those topics now. If you can't provide data to support or contradict the suggestion, take it to the GD forum. The developers reply with a rejection or "pending" and, if it isn't rejected, when they are finished reviewing the attached data they post their decision. Users can rank the suggestion at any time, even after a decision has been posted. This will allow the developers to rethink a decision if enough users support the suggestion.

Even throwing out recent posts, as a percentage of the total, the amount of technical information in this forum is as close to zero as you can get without actually being zero.

-Outlaw.

heywooood
07-04-2004, 12:51 AM
What you suggest is very different from this public forum. I do not italicise or use caps so as not to subject you to any unnecessary condescension so bear with me..You seem to want to eliminate discourse and sterilize the communication between the developers and the users as you refer to those of us who own and use FB. To remove all "outside" responses to your questions or critiques and have direct access to the devs. That is more like having direct e-mail access more or less. You seem to be unaware of the fact that most game developers, let alone flight sim devs. never have direct contact with their customers on any level. This contact is unique to the entire industry. I think the value of the discourse does get lost in quagmire at times but overall this is better than trying to segregate it or isolate it, besides - those guys have too much on their plates already - they only come into the forums to get a quick barometric type reading of whats going on with their customers as a kind of a break from writing code or studying data. And from what I've seen - they find value all the time - a poster called "Droopsnoot" comes to mind.. If you feel that what you have to offer is so much more important or if you think someones time is being wasted thats too bad. That is only your oppinion. These boards are no more than entertainment for the devs. because they have enough source material already.

Go to Netwings or Il2database - you might see what you are looking for there.

"Check your guns"

[This message was edited by heywooood on Sun July 04 2004 at 12:06 AM.]

GCMC_Soron
07-04-2004, 02:17 AM
Yes , it's still a public forum, what I just demande is to moderators, or other poeples to recall to some users to put a clear subject on a new thread.
Just this allow to every body to select topic in it's hown field of interest.

WB_Outlaw
07-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I was under the impression that the purpose of ORR was to allow the users and the developers to interact and improve the game. I now know that the forum is no more than entertainment for the development team. That obviously negates the need for a structured method for interacting with the developers as they don't want such interaction, so please ignore all my posts in this thread.

-Outlaw.

heywooood
07-04-2004, 10:23 AM
That is the purpose of ORR ofcourse... but to impose structure is different than to suggest guidelines. The Mods from time to time will remind the participants in ORR to have a point and some references to support it - or they will move it to GD..If it is done correctly and it is a valid point or a needed adjustment to the sim, it gets a look - and who knows - maybe there is PT discussion between the relevant dev. and the 'user' with the quality suggestion/idea/data.
But, for the most part, I think they have the kind of interaction with the community that they want...despite all the divits and warts that get included.

"Check your guns"