PDA

View Full Version : DGEN MALFUNCTION

SHOOT54
03-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I recently put in the 4.04 merged update to my merged pacific il-2. After that the Dgen in my campaigns began to have problems. The bomber campaigns don't function properly. The first screen i get after starting any of the bomber campaigns is a veiw of the sea. While that may be soothing to some,I am not in it to be soothed.lol.... I can finally see my aircraft by pressing f8 or f2 but f1 does not function and i have no control over my craft. In short, it just sits there. What has happened to my game, everything else is doing fine. help and thanks

SHOOT54
03-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I recently put in the 4.04 merged update to my merged pacific il-2. After that the Dgen in my campaigns began to have problems. The bomber campaigns don't function properly. The first screen i get after starting any of the bomber campaigns is a veiw of the sea. While that may be soothing to some,I am not in it to be soothed.lol.... I can finally see my aircraft by pressing f8 or f2 but f1 does not function and i have no control over my craft. In short, it just sits there. What has happened to my game, everything else is doing fine. help and thanks

CombatAce_MK2
03-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Install the latest DGEN and other associated files from here and see what happnes.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2032

I did not think that 4.04 came with any Dgen files to beign with, so not sure what happened to you. This link takes you to the latest released DGEN files all in one download, inlcuding Itlaina campaign etc.

Skycat_2
03-11-2006, 01:54 PM
From your description of what is happening after the mission generates, it appears to me that "your" plane is being defined as an AI plane. The same thing happens, for example, if you build your own mission in FMB and forget to designate any of the planes as the player's; once you start the mission you get a static camera view of the land or sea.

I don't have any theories as to why this is happening to you in DGen. I simply don't have enough information to make guesses, either. Consider these:

1) Are you certain this is happeinging in DGen careers? Third party "scripted" campaigns and DCG also will appear in the career menu. DGen campaigns typically start with a (*) at the beginning of their names.

2) Is this happening with all your careers, or only one bomber career? This goes back to my first thought, where you might be flying a scripted campaign with an erroneous mission.

3) Did you update your DGen campaigns with an addon like "TruePacific" or similar and then continue with your bomber campaigns already in progress? The updated files may have removed or replaced the plane you were flying with a type more historically accurate. Try generating some new bomber careers. If they work, you might have to delete the older careers that are causing you problems.

I hope you get this problem resolved. Good luck!

Snuffy Smith
03-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I do not have Battle Over Europe. Can I still use this? I seems to have many features needed to bring the game current no matter the addon.

Does this contain True Pacific? If it does not have True Pacific, should I install that before or after?

Nimits
03-11-2006, 04:11 PM
True Pacific is a separate download, and should be installed after any official DGen updates.

Skycat_2
03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
The update CombatAce_MK2 linked does have BoE updates but it will still work fine if you don't have BoE. You may end up with a few dead campaigns in your menu; ignore any new campaigns that begin with (BOE). There is more information in the enclosed Readme notes.

Please note that you must have FB+AEP+PF patched up to at least 4.03m.

I tried to keep the compilation updated to be compatible with TruePacific, but it does not include TruePacific. Technically I think the two can be installed in any order right now but to be safe heed Nimits' advice ... he is the author of TruePacific. You can find TruePacific in the same area as the compilation update; just backtrack to the FB and PF campaigns category at CombatAce.com.

Skycat_2
03-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Nimits' reply suggests another bit of advice:

If you installed TruePacific over the official updates, you may have an out-of-date DGen.exe. I don't think DGen.exe 4.0.4.3 was included in the 4.03m/4.04m patches, and I know that DGen.exe 4.0.4.5 has only been available through third party links. Having the latest version is absolutely critical when using campaigns that have the new planes incorporated into them.

The compilation update has (as far as I know) the most recent version of the DGen.exe.

Nimits
03-11-2006, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
Nimits' reply suggests another bit of advice:

If you installed TruePacific over the official updates, you may have an out-of-date DGen.exe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clarify (I think I know what Skycat means, but it took me a second to figure it out; 'course, could just be me being stupid):

True Pacific doesn't contain any version of DGen.exe, new or old.

bird_brain
03-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Back to the original question, you have started a DGen campaign that is not correctly supported by the updated files. Your pilot's plane is unavailable for whatever reason.

Installing the updated DGen & related campaign files as mentioned by CombatAce_Mk2 should solve the problem.

Skycat_2
03-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear Nimits.

I shouldn't have singled out TruePacific because, now that I think about it, the last DGen.exe in the official PF patches is probably compatible with the bombers in the Pacific missions except the Mosquito. My big thought was that recent freeware DGen campaigns like "TruePacific" and "Disaster on the Frontiers" may have been built around the latest version of DGen.exe but included in either the latest official PF(m) patches or in the campaign downloads.

Make sure you have DGen.exe 4.0.3.5 if you're using the most recent freeware campaigns and campaign upgrades, and you shouldn't have a compatibility problem. That's all I meant.

Snuffy Smith
03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Thank you Skycat_2 and Nimits for explaining so patiently, I'm afraid I'm badly lost among all the patches and mods. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed trying to keep up to date.

I have a clean correct install to 4.04m, and I would very much like to try the new campaigns. Are these new Dgen.exe in fact official updates, as you mentioned Nimits, or officially sanctioned Oleg & crew? They are not mentioned on the patch install notes?

Nimits
03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
The DGen 4.043 Upgrade pack on Combat Ace is a compilation of semi-official DGen upgrades, mainly which add an Italian fighter career and enable use of new aircraft (Mosquito, Tempest) in BoE and NWE careers. As far as I am aware, alot of those files are not in the official 4.03 or 4.04 patches (they should be, though . . . if they aren't allready). If you want to have all the official stuff, download the 4043 upgrade from CombatAce.com.

Distater on the Frontiers, Enhanced Eastern Front, and True Pacific are all unofficial add-ons. The newest versions were designed around DGen 4.043/4.045.

Distaster on the Frontier's is Amagi's project, and provides a fresh view on the Eastern Front with a bunch of new campaigns (and pretty much leaves the old ones alone), each with indivudualized mission scripts, active frontlines (previously only in BoE), and designed to more closely simulate the battles more accurately.

Enhanced Eastern Front comes from GregSM. It improves the default Eastern Front careers and campaigns and adds a few new ones. It adds in alot of the new planes and ground objects previsouly missing from stock Eastern Front, adds more ground targets to the campaign templates, and makes frontline movement more closely match reality.

True Pacific is my own attempt to improve the variety and historical fidelity of the Pacific campaigns.

Skycat_2
03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snuffy Smith:
Are these new Dgen.exe in fact official updates, as you mentioned Nimits, or officially sanctioned Oleg & crew? They are not mentioned on the patch install notes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First you have to understand that DGen started out as a third party campaign generator program that was included in Forgotten Battles. Its author, "Starshoy," has written all the career campaigns that have shipped with FB, AEP and PF. In addition he has continuously updated DGen.exe, the program that runs the career campaigns; DGen.exe is periodically updated to make use of new aircraft and maps but also to incorporate new features to make the overall program better.

Sometimes the new versions of DGen.exe have been released in AEP and PF upgrade patches along with Starshoy's campaign upgrades and fixes. You can decide for yourself if these are 'official' or 'semi-official.' I have no idea if Starshoy is compensated by 1C:MG as a contributor or not. Starshoy was also a partner in the "Battle Over Europe" (2003) semi-official missions expansion for FB, and he has released a few upgrade 'patches' for BoE over the years since as new planes are released.

I believe that the last version of DGen.exe to be released in an FB/PF official patch was v4.0.1.1. As I said, Starshoy is continuously revising the .exe and he offers it through links at forums like this. The latest revision I've seen is v4.0.3.5, offered only a couple of weeks ago after the patch pf_404m was released; the latest DGen.exe was specifically released to fix some issues with including the new Mosquito in user-made DGen campaigns like Ian Boys and CSThor's DGen_4043_Upgrade that adds italian campaigns to the game. DGen_4043_Upgrade also updates Ian Boys' NW Europe DGen campaign that he released independantly after pf_v402m was released. Ian built the NW Europe map that was in 4.02m, BTW.

If you don't know Ian Boys' name, he has been an important contributor to and advocate of the series; before FB was released Ian was directly involved (along with Oleg Maddox) in the promotion of FB. Ian was also involved in the BoE project and -- more recently -- the commercial "Ostfront" addon. Ian knows DGen. And he has constructed or is constructing several maps used in the game including Murmansk, Kurland and an upcoming Burma map.

I tell you all this because it helps explain that the 'Compilation' at ComatAce.com is approximately 80% Ian's DGen_4043_Upgrade anyhow, and much of the remainder is from Starshoy's BoE updates and also his latest DGen.exe (4.0.4.5). There are a few community inputs incorporated, like Li'l Pup's Tunisia campaign for the Italian fighter career ... I don't think you'll find that anywhere else at this time.

Right now, as of this moment, if you want to fly the new planes (Tempest, Mosquito, Italian fighters, Ju-88 to name a few) in a DGen "Pilot Career" campaign you're going to have to trust the third-party material. The campaign updates needed in order to fly them haven't been included in the recent PF_v403m/404m patches.

As for the other campaign upgrades mentioned (Enhanced Eastern Front, Disaster on the Frontiers, TruePacific), some of these build upon the existing stock campaigns while others add completely new material. TruePacific does a little of both I believe. Nimits summed them up very well so I'll leave it at that.

CombatAce_MK2
03-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Snuffy,
"Officially" Oleg and crew have not cared much about the off line campaing in a very long time (not a shot at them, just the facts). Luckily we have talented members of the community that do care. True Pacific , as an example, is much better than anythying that was ever officially released for PF.

You need to start exploring the unofficial world, back up your original copy (not that you really have to ) and start exploring the world that awaits you.

Snuffy Smith
03-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Thank you Sirs, MK2 & Nimits. I think I have it now. Time to go flying.

B-29 Snuffy
676th Bomb Sq. 444th Gp. 58th Wing