PDA

View Full Version : Second Monitor

Trinity_Jay
08-12-2009, 09:22 AM
S!

I am thinking of getting a second HD monitor so that I can use it for looking at my guages on IL-2 and FSX. Can this be done painlessly? If so, how? Also, if I use my Track IR-Pro on the main screen, will it effect the guages on the second monitor or can it be made 'static'.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Jay
CPS_Bulldog

Trinity_Jay
08-12-2009, 09:22 AM
S!

I am thinking of getting a second HD monitor so that I can use it for looking at my guages on IL-2 and FSX. Can this be done painlessly? If so, how? Also, if I use my Track IR-Pro on the main screen, will it effect the guages on the second monitor or can it be made 'static'.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Jay
CPS_Bulldog

AndyJWest
08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I've got a 2-monitor setup, and depending on what you are trying to do, it should probably be possible to get it to work.

Firstly: FSX handles multiple monitors no problem from what I remember, but see their help topics.

With a 2-monitor setup IL-2 only runs on a single monitor if full-screen mode, and I wouldn't recommend trying to drag it across 2 screens in windowed mode (you can't resize it).

There are minor issues if your normal windows screen mode is different to the one you use in IL-2, but basically there is nothing to stop you running a background application in the other monitor. I haven't tried other peoples IL-2 gauge applications, but a prototype Gauge/Autopilot app I've been working on (in Java, not finished and probably won't ever be...), works ok (on a machine with enough grunt, I've got problems at the moment), so I'd imagine this will work. Again, see documentation for the gauge app, but from memory, I think this is an option (the alternative being to run the app on another computer).

Unless Track-IR does something incredibly clever, or incredibly stupid, it should only affect what is shown in the IL-2 window.

Bear in mind that any application running alongside IL-2 will use CPU and GPU resources, so there will be some effect on FPS etc, though how bad it is will depend on many factors. Don't leave anything running you don't need....

You will probably find that an external gauge app will only have limited functionality in online usage, as the DeviceLink interface used to interrogate IL-2 restricts what is available in this context - why, I don't know.

I tend to have Windows Task Manager running in my second monitor whenever I'm online, as that way I can sometimes get an idea of what the problem is if it freezes or stutters.

Edit ------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing I forgot to add is that your graphics card will of course need to support two monitors - check this first!

Hannibales
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
This is what you want:
UDP Speed Discussion (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7201027043/p/3)