PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody back up all their talk?

darkhorizon11
12-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Okay I don't mean to make this as much of a callout as it sounds... I was just curious, who here if anyone, and be honest, has time in a warbird? WW2 era? WWI? Nam? Korea? Don't be shy.

People fight left and right on this forum about performance and flight characteristics of aircraft they never flew or have seen in real life. This isn't a personal stab at either side theres enough going back and forth...

I will admit I have not. I've flown Ce-172s, 152s, Pa-28 (both Warriors and Arrows), Pa-44 Seminoles, Grob-109 Motorgliders, Cap-10bs, and a Baron 58, but I have not had the honor of flyin a military bird. Hopefully someday though!

darkhorizon11
12-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Okay I don't mean to make this as much of a callout as it sounds... I was just curious, who here if anyone, and be honest, has time in a warbird? WW2 era? WWI? Nam? Korea? Don't be shy.

People fight left and right on this forum about performance and flight characteristics of aircraft they never flew or have seen in real life. This isn't a personal stab at either side theres enough going back and forth...

I will admit I have not. I've flown Ce-172s, 152s, Pa-28 (both Warriors and Arrows), Pa-44 Seminoles, Grob-109 Motorgliders, Cap-10bs, and a Baron 58, but I have not had the honor of flyin a military bird. Hopefully someday though!

Chuck_Older
12-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I've never been to the moon. I can describe it though. I never dived on the Titanic but I can explain why the metal in the hull ripped as it did

I have a friend who was crew chief for a Huey Cobra in the '80s. He never landed a Cobra, but he can tell you what the machine is supposed to be doing during landing

You're making this a very cut and dried issue. What you're saying is a pilot has all the answers while an observer has none, period.

Waldo.Pepper
12-22-2005, 12:02 PM
HA! My friend wins then!

I have a friend who flew Mosquito XXX's and my Brother in law flew a Meteor!

I win! In your face! Woo Hoo! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

(BTW: I'm kidding, relax lest ye blow a gasket.)

ddsflyer
12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I have about 40 hours in a T6 (SNJ) and about 35 hours in a T-28C. The T-28 is great, period. Lots of power, superb handling, fully aerobatic. The T6 is heavier, noisier and less powerful but still very fun to fly. 30 years ago I rode in the jumpseat of Howie Keefe's Miss America P-51D racer. At 90" MP at 10000 feet it was, and still is, the loudest thing I have ever been in. I couldn't see too well, only to the side, as the view from the jumpseat was poor. I have flown in an Air Force T-37 and T-38 when My brother-in-law was an A.F. Instructor pilot and 45 minutes in the back of an F-15E when I got my congressman to authorize it.

neural_dream
12-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I suggest you change the title of the thread to who has military flight experience, 'cause the two are kinda unrelated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, except if you expect Galland to reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

BSS_CUDA
12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
I know BSS_Vidar was an S3 Navy Pilot and has time behind the stick of a 2 seat P-51, as for me the only flight time I have is in the skydiving windtunnel in Vegas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

danjama
12-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Is the Cessna172 a warbird? I got 4 hours in one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

I wish Galland would show up here, just to shut some people up for a while with their Bull!

Slickun
12-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I have maybe 1000 hours as a crewman (PJ) on the HC-130, HH-53C, and HH-3E.

Flew combat in Viet-Nam.

Dad had 4000+ hours in all kinds of warbirds from the P-36 to the F-101B, with a tour in Korea in the B-26.

huggy87
12-22-2005, 08:10 PM
I have about 4 hours in the back of a T-34B, which would be close to an underpowered WW2 vintage plane. The 75 hours I have in the T-34C is maybe a little closer performance wise (we would zoom around at 200 knots indicated on the deck), but it is a turboprop. Most of my time is in Jets.

BuzzU
12-22-2005, 08:35 PM
If you look at the data the real planes do,and compare that to what the plane does in the sim. You don't have to be Einstein or Hartmann to know somethings wrong.

SkyChimp
12-22-2005, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can anybody back up all their talk? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but I'm not going to post a picture of my man-hood.

PBNA-Boosher
12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
65 some odd hours in a Piper Cherokee 140, 7 hours in a C-172, 1 hour in a C-152, 2 hours in a Piper Warrior.

danjama
12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuzzU:
If you look at the data the real planes do,and compare that to what the plane does in the sim. You don't have to be Einstein or Hartmann to know somethings wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to explain?

BuzzU
12-22-2005, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuzzU:
If you look at the data the real planes do,and compare that to what the plane does in the sim. You don't have to be Einstein or Hartmann to know somethings wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to explain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. If you don't understand what I said. Then explaining won't help.

hobnail
12-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I have 8 confirmed kills over the Somme in my Sopwith Pup, find someone who was there who doesn't remember me to contradict my story.

PBNA-Boosher
12-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Good one, Hobnail! Except your birthdate would probably work against you.

AKA_TAGERT
12-22-2005, 10:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I've never been to the moon. I can describe it though. I never dived on the Titanic but I can explain why the metal in the hull ripped as it did

I have a friend who was crew chief for a Huey Cobra in the '80s. He never landed a Cobra, but he can tell you what the machine is supposed to be doing during landing

You're making this a very cut and dried issue. What you're saying is a pilot has all the answers while an observer has none, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactally!

slo123
12-22-2005, 10:11 PM
yea i've rode in a little cessena like twice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

darkhorizon11
12-22-2005, 11:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

You're making this a very cut and dried issue. What you're saying is a pilot has all the answers while an observer has none, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a. Like I said I didn't mean for it to be too much of a callout. I want this to be a positive thread not a you suck shut the h3ll up if you've never flown the real thing. I only have abbout 300 total hours which barely scratches the surface compared to some of the guys in here.

b. Its not that an observer or a passenger knows nothing. But that doesn't mean you have a feel for the plane either. When flying home from school in October we landed at Green airport in an A319 and broke out about 30 feet above the DH on the ILS for 23L. Now given it was a cool experience and everything but that doesn't mean I can suddenly do it or have a feel for how the fly the ILS for the 319 just because I rode in the back either.

Anyways my point is I was just wondering if there is anybody that does have stick time in any warbird, if not a WWII one.

@ddsflyer: I envy you man I'd love a 51 ride that would kick

chris455
12-22-2005, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SkyChimp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can anybody back up all their talk? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, but I'm not going to post a picture of my man-hood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have to post anything, Chimpster. Some of us are already jealous.

http://members.cox.net/miataman1/skychimp.bmp

Xiolablu3
12-22-2005, 11:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

Care to explain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. If you don't understand what I said. Then explaining won't help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard much about this, but noone wwho talks about 'bias' cares to actually explain which planes are very badly out? Why not start the ball rolling?