PDA

View Full Version : clouds considerably different without altering "conf.ini"

leitmotiv
06-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Am I seeing things, but my clouds, after 4.01m installation, especially at sunset, look completely different and I haven't modified the program. They look decidedly "painterly"---really mind-bogglingly realistic! By the way, for those of us who are computer idiots, how do you get to "conf.ini", and just how do you carry out the operation?

leitmotiv
06-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Am I seeing things, but my clouds, after 4.01m installation, especially at sunset, look completely different and I haven't modified the program. They look decidedly "painterly"---really mind-bogglingly realistic! By the way, for those of us who are computer idiots, how do you get to "conf.ini", and just how do you carry out the operation?

LEXX_Luthor
06-17-2005, 12:34 AM
"conf" file is a simple text file in the basic game folder. Open with WordPad or NotePad. For frequent experimenting, make a desktop shortcut to "conf" file.

Patch 4.01 needs you to add one of these two lines at the bottom of the [game] section, just like it says in the Patch readme (don't know why I didn't just paste it here)...

TypeClouds=0
TypeClouds=1

Zero means Old Clouds, 1 means New Clouds ... recall New Clouds are dependent on weather (or visibility) settings. As you pump up the bad wheather setting, you pump up the number of New Clouds to almost overcast there are so many. Its fun to watch them all draw at first, but a little worrisome.

actionhank1786
06-17-2005, 01:52 AM
The new clouds are default with the 4.01 patch too i believe, idont know if that was in question, but i thought i'd throw it out incase you needed to know

Izzy5
06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
new clouds are default on in the 4.0x patches. You only need to add a line to your config.ini if you want to turn them off and use 3.04 era clouds instead - usefull if you are getting too much of a frame rate drag with the new ones.

You can find config.ini in the directory that you installed the game into.

e.g. C:\Unisoft\il2 forgotten battles

or something similar. Open it with note pad, add the required line in teh required place and save the file.

Run game, see changes.

Hope that helps

Capt._Tenneal
06-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I asked the question on Typeclouds=1 as the default in another thread, but thanks for confirming that it is indeed the default. I noticed that on overcast days you definitely get a cloud ceiling over the ground. And transitioning from above the cloud cover to below is great, you get the wisps of cloud before getting a clear view of the ground.

The only thing mildly annoying is that when you change views : F3, Shift + F6, etc. the sky goes from clear to all the clouds "bloom" into existense at once. It takes away from the immersion a bit.

leitmotiv
06-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Noticed that bloom and it is annoying, esp as you rotate your head and see clouds suddenly expanding like gigantic popcorn! I wanted to set up an early eve donnybrook as happened in the B of Brit between ErPrGr210 and some Hurricanes---
used: Crimea, Poor, 1000m, and 1900hrs on the QMB. The overcast, sunset, clouds, and light effects blew my mind to bits. I get into the middle of a brawl and I find myself gazing around at the colors and the clouds. Fantastic work.

fabianfred
06-18-2005, 04:16 PM
after installing 4.0 I put the line typeclouds=0 in because I was afraid they would hit FPS
then after 4.1 I suddenly noticed ...wow those clouds look really white and fluffy... looked after the mission and it had been set to 1 automatically
I like them.....'poor' weather over the Pacific is OK... haven't tried overcast yet though

Achilles_NZ
06-18-2005, 05:04 PM
They seem to have much more depth to them and even appear to have shadows within.
Definitly cool to look at though.
I was a little apprehensive about installing this patch at first, but I have been quite pleasantly surprised.

Well done Oleg and team http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif