PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly with 100% realism - newbie question

coulterc
11-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi, since I've had PF, which is my first Maddox game (it's such a great leap from cfs2), I've been flying without torque effects, and all the other realistic bells and whistles. But now, I have enabled everything, and the game has changed dramatically! As a result, I now have a problem when taking off and maintaing level flight without using the autopilot.

First, when I takeoff (using the D3A Val), I use the rudder to keep straight-down the carrier's centerline, then I center the rudder right before I left-ogff the end of the deck. However, as I go down the deck, even after I center the rudder, the plane always rolls to the right, and I leave the deck on only the right wheel. - almost scraping the wing. How do you professionals takeoff normally? I unfold the wings, set mixture to 100%, auto-pitch (100%), flaps for takeoff, engine start, full power, a few notches of up-elevator trim, and rudder as required to stay straight.

Lastly, how do you stay on a constant heading when flying without autopilot to overcome the torque? Do you use left aileron trim? I wonder how real single engine pilots handled long flights... would they really have had to use opposite pressure the whole time?

Thank you very much for any help. I'm totally in-awe by this game. I just want to get the maximum benefit from it, and since I've been flying on "easy mode" since I got it, it's time to step-up.

- coulterc

coulterc
11-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi, since I've had PF, which is my first Maddox game (it's such a great leap from cfs2), I've been flying without torque effects, and all the other realistic bells and whistles. But now, I have enabled everything, and the game has changed dramatically! As a result, I now have a problem when taking off and maintaing level flight without using the autopilot.

First, when I takeoff (using the D3A Val), I use the rudder to keep straight-down the carrier's centerline, then I center the rudder right before I left-ogff the end of the deck. However, as I go down the deck, even after I center the rudder, the plane always rolls to the right, and I leave the deck on only the right wheel. - almost scraping the wing. How do you professionals takeoff normally? I unfold the wings, set mixture to 100%, auto-pitch (100%), flaps for takeoff, engine start, full power, a few notches of up-elevator trim, and rudder as required to stay straight.

Lastly, how do you stay on a constant heading when flying without autopilot to overcome the torque? Do you use left aileron trim? I wonder how real single engine pilots handled long flights... would they really have had to use opposite pressure the whole time?

Thank you very much for any help. I'm totally in-awe by this game. I just want to get the maximum benefit from it, and since I've been flying on "easy mode" since I got it, it's time to step-up.

- coulterc

Slingn
11-16-2004, 03:13 PM
welcome to a whole new world. Once you start flying like that, you'll never be able to fly the other way again.

As to your questions, yes trim works well. Use it alitle at a time, but rememebr some planes dont have trim for all control surfaces, so you'll setill need to use the ol stick and rundder to stay straight and level. The good news is, all the trouble you have will go away as you get more flight time under your belt. As far as flap go unless I'm really heavy, or need to take off very quickly, i dont use flaps to take off. Landing is another storym, butI dont think very many do use flaps for normal takeoffs. Just allow a good speed buildup, before you take off. Keep flying and reading, you'll be up to speed in no time. Good Luck and enjoy.

The_Great_Stonk
11-16-2004, 03:28 PM
one reason i fly allied is because 90% of their planes have all of their cojntrols trimmable, i find most axis planes are missing one, making trimming a plane for true straight and level hands off flight impossible - i dont like using auto pilot on those long missions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Waldo.Pepper
11-16-2004, 03:54 PM
How do you professionals takeoff normally?

Same as you described.

How do you stay on a constant heading when flying without autopilot to overcome the torque?

Stay on top of you direction. Keep correcting.

Do you use left aileron trim?

I usualy fly planes which do not have trim, so no.

I wonder how real single engine pilots handled long flights... would they really have had to use opposite pressure the whole time?

No they trim for near hands off flight if possible.

Couple questions and observations for you.

What joystick do you have? (Logitech Wingman perhaps.) Have you calibrated it lately? Try doing so again.

Do you have rudder pedals? What assignment are you using for rudder function? I have rudder pedals, on planes that do not have rudder trim (BF series) I can effectively trim the rudder with these pedals as they do not return to center. ( so that helps on long flights).

Practice!

Welcome and good luck.

OldMan____
11-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I don´t feel the need of any trimm but the pitch one that I use to induce a less E bleeding flight.

Just learn to control your plane with very subtle movments of your stick. Takes time but you will get surprised how little you need to move your stick to make fancy maneuvers around enemy... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif