PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo tutorial with duds... hard!

ssteen
03-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I have decided to play SH with 100% realism. I've got mostly the hang of it, although my patrols are probably not as fruitfull as they could've. But since I had the game i played VII and IX in mid to late war, and decided to start a new campaign from 1939, starting with all the tutorials at best exam results I can and everything.

First 3 easy! I get exellent results and everything. Now the fourth one, the torpedo tutorial. Although I know how to effectively fire a torpedo in manual TDC, I usually miss once or twice (as I am not that good), but then the rest are dud or even explode prematuraly. So at tops 5 of my torps actually hit something. And this has given me the possibility to hit and sink only 3 ships, and that's with the first one was a perfect hit and the two other had the propellers destroyed making them easy targets.

Then the other ships sail away, and I have to effectivly hunt them one by one, and wait 2 hours for the external torpedoes to be loaded in one of the tubes to do anything. So sinking 5 ships is quite hard.

Is there anything I am missing during this training?

And if I do the tutorials at lower settings, I presume I get less renown ?

ssteen
03-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I have decided to play SH with 100% realism. I've got mostly the hang of it, although my patrols are probably not as fruitfull as they could've. But since I had the game i played VII and IX in mid to late war, and decided to start a new campaign from 1939, starting with all the tutorials at best exam results I can and everything.

First 3 easy! I get exellent results and everything. Now the fourth one, the torpedo tutorial. Although I know how to effectively fire a torpedo in manual TDC, I usually miss once or twice (as I am not that good), but then the rest are dud or even explode prematuraly. So at tops 5 of my torps actually hit something. And this has given me the possibility to hit and sink only 3 ships, and that's with the first one was a perfect hit and the two other had the propellers destroyed making them easy targets.

Then the other ships sail away, and I have to effectivly hunt them one by one, and wait 2 hours for the external torpedoes to be loaded in one of the tubes to do anything. So sinking 5 ships is quite hard.

Is there anything I am missing during this training?

And if I do the tutorials at lower settings, I presume I get less renown ?

KiwiVenge
03-20-2005, 12:55 PM
The last tutorial is a bit of a 'in your face' one in terms of bouncing torps. I found with that one unless my torps hit as close to perpendicular from the side of the target ship as possible, they would bounce off. Not because of them being dudes, but because the angle in which they hit the hull of the ship made them deflect off harmlessly.
Not saying this is derfinately what is happening to you though. But it is something I had problems with in the last tutorial.

DrReaper
03-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I would enable the external camera. It's completely fake but it's pretty to look at.

badaboom.1
03-20-2005, 02:11 PM
HELLO,WOW.......This is a timely topic for me right now,OK HERE'S THE SITUATION......I'm doing the torp. exam for the 18th time....(NO JOKE,BEEN UP SINCE LAST NIGHT TRYING)anyway after I found some good advice on these forums about getting that perpendicular angle for impact....I'M DO'IN GREAT!!!!! I got the cargo&2 merchants(with no duds!)I only need 1 more ship!problem is I can't find any more!!!!I've been searching for 1-1/2hrs,Is their a time limit on the tutorials?I hate to give up now when im so close any ideas? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif