PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Trim?

MisterMark
07-18-2008, 07:10 PM
i am an old Il2 fan from back in the day and i just got 1946...

i have the cougar hotas with the elite rudder pedals... it seems the pedals are a bit off center but i can correct it with rudder trim. however, in some planes (mainly axis planes from what i can tell), the rudder trim has no effect. any reason why this is happening?

also, in the old Il2 when i landed i got an associated 'wheels hitting the ground' sound. with 1946 there doesn't seem to be any sound. is this a bug?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

mark

MisterMark
07-18-2008, 07:10 PM
i am an old Il2 fan from back in the day and i just got 1946...

i have the cougar hotas with the elite rudder pedals... it seems the pedals are a bit off center but i can correct it with rudder trim. however, in some planes (mainly axis planes from what i can tell), the rudder trim has no effect. any reason why this is happening?

also, in the old Il2 when i landed i got an associated 'wheels hitting the ground' sound. with 1946 there doesn't seem to be any sound. is this a bug?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

mark

berg417448
07-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Planes like the Bf-109 and the Fw-190 did not have pilot adjustable rudder trim. They were rigged to be in trim at normal cruising speed.

PapaLazarou.LoG
07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I had that combo years ago (when I still played :\), you must calibrate the elites the best you can via the cougar CC. Their problem is that when returning to center, they simply don't always end up in the same point, so you'll have input. Give them a bigger center deadzone, the default is 5%, try increasing it until they read no input in cougar's viewer (dx analyzer is better for that) when centering them from both sides.
Not every aircraft has trim (most german fighters don't), and before sorting to ingame trims, your input must already be properly configured to use ingame functions over.

LEXX_Luthor
07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Just wondering...on planes lacking rudder trim, did pilots choose what airspeed the ground adjustable rudder trimming was set? Was it always a fixed cruise airspeed? Did some pilots choose a somewhat different airspeed?

TX-EcoDragon
07-18-2008, 07:58 PM
It's more than just rigged for a certain speed, but rather, a certain speed and power setting.

This power setting is often a lot less than what a person might use in combat - particularly in a combat sim where most of us know we can get away with 95-100% power all the time. Anything over 65% will usually demand right rudder application in most aircraft without rudder trim (and with CW prop rotation).

Lexx, a pilot could technically adjust the trim if he so desired on the ground, though that might be frowned upon. The fixed trim tabs are often little metal tabs that can be bent by hand. They can also be bumped by someone on the ground accidentally - this is why inspection of trim tabs is an aspect of the pre-flight inspection.

The reality is that they should probably be set as they are from the factory such that at cruise speed and power, minimal rudder is needed. So the usual routine is lots of right rudder will be needed during climb (low speed high power), and left rudder pressure may be needed at high cruise speeds and certainly will be during dives. No matter what you set on a fixed tab, you will need to hold lots of rudder force at some point during the flight profile. This is why a cockpit adjustable rudder trim is much appreciated! That said, it becomes rather automatic to hold the required rudder pressure after a while provided the forces required to hold it aren't so great. Of course if we are talking only about flight sims, we know rudder and stick forces are always going to be low!!

LEXX_Luthor
07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
ThanX TX! Just wondering what individual pilots did or could get away with, long ago, during wartime, in a primitive aviation environment.

MisterMark
07-18-2008, 09:46 PM
great, thanks for answering that question... so what about the wheel sound? i sort of miss that! any explanation?

TX-EcoDragon
07-19-2008, 02:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
ThanX TX! Just wondering what individual pilots did or could get away with, long ago, during wartime, in a primitive aviation environment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I'm certain they gave them a nudge now and then. . .I know I have a few times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MisterMark:
great, thanks for answering that question... so what about the wheel sound? i sort of miss that! any explanation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear touchdown sounds, though they are not as overdone as they once were.

Pigeon_
07-19-2008, 03:26 AM
I really hate flying planes that have no rudder trim, because the rudder control on my stick is really messed up. I like using cockpit rudder trim and I use it extensively in flight to keep the ball of the inclinometer in the middle. You have to get to know the planes though, in order to adjust the trim to the speed that you're doing, or better yet, the speed you will be doing at a crucial moment.

Deadmeat313
07-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I heard it said once long ago that you could recognise a 109 pilot among a group, because his right leg would be longer than his left. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T.

WTE_Galway
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deadmeat313:
I heard it said once long ago that you could recognise a 109 pilot among a group, because his right leg would be longer than his left. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well the amount of rudder needed to centre (in game) is actually fairly subtle to the point that you may need to adjust your rudder pedal profile to get good control

actually the simplest way of centering in JABO with a 109 is to set throttle to about 45% on your strafing approach

DKoor
07-20-2008, 06:18 PM
After few sorties in a I-153 one comes to appreciate an aircraft with trimming controls http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

gotha_g.IV
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
rudder trim? What's that? I never have used any trim at all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Edit: nice stealing of pic DKoor. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif