PDA

View Full Version : Dots at bigger resolutions

CarlingWood
01-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Is there anyway to make the dots bigger when you play at res such as 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 ? I mean, when I play 1024x768 I can see planes that are 6-10 km away, while on the higher res I can only see planes that are abour 3-5 km away. I heard that the dots do not scale, is there any way of fixing this?

Thanks.

P.S. Should I learn how to pan with mouse if I wanna learn how to fly full switch? Currently Im at the SoV level playing with padlocks lol ;D

I dont have TiR and I dont plan on getting it, just a MSFFB2 and keyboard. I really wish I can fly on servers like Warclouds!

CarlingWood
01-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Is there anyway to make the dots bigger when you play at res such as 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 ? I mean, when I play 1024x768 I can see planes that are 6-10 km away, while on the higher res I can only see planes that are abour 3-5 km away. I heard that the dots do not scale, is there any way of fixing this?

Thanks.

P.S. Should I learn how to pan with mouse if I wanna learn how to fly full switch? Currently Im at the SoV level playing with padlocks lol ;D

I dont have TiR and I dont plan on getting it, just a MSFFB2 and keyboard. I really wish I can fly on servers like Warclouds!

idonno
01-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Using the mouse is the next best thing to TrackIR, but you'll be missing out on a lot by not being able to take advantage of the 6DoF.

thefruitbat
01-30-2010, 04:11 AM
some people claim this, but i'm running 1920*1200 and have no difficulty seeing dots out to 6km's on normal settings.

However, for my offline games, i normally change the dot range, via the mpdotrange command in the console, via the rcu file.

normally have them set to 20km's, like on many servers.

PF_Coastie
01-30-2010, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but i'm running 1920*1200 and have no difficulty seeing dots out to 6km's on normal settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But apparently you do have trouble then. I routinely see fighters at 10-15km and bombers at 20km easily playing on 1024x768.

That can make all the difference if trying to intercept or jockey for the advantage in position.

M_Gunz
01-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Carling, check your private messages if you haven't.

thefruitbat
01-30-2010, 06:59 AM
That may be so, but i still tend to see the enemy before the ai does on default settings. If i change the dotrange i can see them out to 20kms no problem as well, and in my experience, many servers change the dotrange out further anyway.

The biggest difference for me flying at the res i do, is no more disappearing planes at the 1.5 - 1km range, i see perfect plane outlines instead of dissapearing LOD's, spitfire wings dissapearing etc...

PF_Coastie
01-30-2010, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The biggest difference for me flying at the res i do, is no more disappearing planes at the 1.5 - 1km range, i see perfect plane outlines instead of dissapearing LOD's, spitfire wings dissapearing etc... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent point! And that is a very difficult trade-off!

I sure do wish these mod builders would try to figure a way to fix this mess. To me, this should be the number one priority for "fixing" this game. Gameplay is EVERYTHING and this would increase the level of gameplay 10 fold.

thefruitbat
01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The biggest difference for me flying at the res i do, is no more disappearing planes at the 1.5 - 1km range, i see perfect plane outlines instead of dissapearing LOD's, spitfire wings dissapearing etc... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent point! And that is a very difficult trade-off!

I sure do wish these mod builders would try to figure a way to fix this mess. To me, this should be the number one priority for "fixing" this game. Gameplay is EVERYTHING and this would increase the level of gameplay 10 fold. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, i couldn't agree more. Hopefully it is something Team D can address in one of the upcoming patches, and one day we'll be able to have our cake, and eat it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

What res are you planning on with your new rig? bet you can't wait for that to arrive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PF_Coastie
01-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Well, unfortunately I am still stuck with a 19"CRT. But it will do 16x12, so I will do some testing and see.

I am still trying to devise a scheme to get the wife on board with getting a new monitor....ideas welcome! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

My new rig is scheduled to arrive on the 2nd. But, we are in thew middle of the biggest snow storm in 20+ years for this area (portsmouth va) and I fear it will be delayed. They are calling for 10-15" and a dusting will close schools around here!

Erkki_M
01-30-2010, 07:44 AM
From my conf.ini:

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=9.0
MinLen=0.01
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=30000.0
Speed=50

That should significantly help people that use the stick's POV hat and mouse for looking around.

If you have trouble seeing dots, you might want to try MeshDetail=1 or 0 instead of the default 2 in the rendering settings.

thefruitbat
01-30-2010, 08:10 AM
well, 16*12 is essentially what i'm using, only mines the widescreen version. Another major plus at that res and with decent aa/ap, is that you can see the markings on planes from so much further away really clearly, makes id'ing planes much much more easy, with no icons.

I went from a 17inchCRT to a 24inch samsung widescreen, and oh my god, its so awesome, totally recommend one to anyone, don't understand how i got buy without one now, lol. I noticed in your thread in comm help you mentioned the possibility of giving your old rig to your mother in law, thats got to be worth some brownie points surely, plus obviously her current monitor wouldn't work with your rig, aherm!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

bummer with the snow http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

CarlingWood
01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the reply, ill try everything else.

Thanks MGunz, ill be sure to check that software out as well...now to find a hat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ibeagle
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I had the same problem as you. I solved to some degree by turning off texture compression. Open your conf.ini in your game folder, back it up and try these changes:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0

Jumoschwanz
01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
CarlingWood,

I have been flying this sim at 1600x1200 for years and I love it.

Dot visibility is very good on my LCD monitor, and the advantage to high resolution is that you can see what your opponents aircraft is doing from a distance, whether it is banked towards you or away from you etc..

If you want to see how good you can fly using your hat switch watch the High Definition videos of me flying this sim online with a hat-switch here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Jumoschwanz#g/u

I have a Microsoft Precision 2 stick. I have the hat programmed so when you push it forward it activates "look forward", in otherwords nothing happens. Also I have one base button programmed to "look up". Used together you can get any angle you want and with practice it becomes second nature to you and you will never need Track IR.

Chivas
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
CarlingWood,

I have been flying this sim at 1600x1200 for years and I love it.

Dot visibility is very good on my LCD monitor, and the advantage to high resolution is that you can see what your opponents aircraft is doing from a distance, whether it is banked towards you or away from you etc..

If you want to see how good you can fly using your hat switch watch the High Definition videos of me flying this sim online with a hat-switch here:

I have a Microsoft Precision 2 stick. I have the hat programmed so when you push it forward it activates "look forward", in otherwords nothing happens. Also I have one base button programmed to "look up". Used together you can get any angle you want and with practice it becomes second nature to you and you will never need Track IR. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if you tried Track IR you would never think about going back to a hatswitch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jumoschwanz
02-01-2010, 05:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
But if you tried Track IR you would never think about going back to a hatswitch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did, I went back.

Nice to see you Chivas......

M_Gunz
02-01-2010, 06:10 AM
If I PAID for TIR then I'd certainly try awfully hard to get used to it, my X52 cost less!

Chivas
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
But if you tried Track IR you would never think about going back to a hatswitch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did, I went back.

Nice to see you Chivas...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jumo...Did you have trouble getting Track IR to work properly, or just didn't like it? I know it gave me a nausious(?) feeling the first couple of times I used it.

~Salute~
Chivas

Erkki_M
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I dont use the TIR myself either, didnt like it at all + I use glasses and to see all of the screen all the time I'd have to push the screen further, which would leave to not seeing dots as well... Thanks, but no thanks. Besides, mouse & POV hat is quicker.

T_O_A_D
02-02-2010, 01:13 AM
CarlingWood,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nice quality Jumo, I need to look into getting mine up at those resolutions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erkki_M:
Besides, mouse & POV hat is quicker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To each his own, but I don't see the logic of this statement.

I've been using TIR since first generation, and if you set up your profile correctly its the same speed, to look and you get the advantage of the pan to the site your looking. Instead of Bang your looking left, and re-acquiring the target.

There is plenty of info in my sig on TIR and YT of me flying.

Please take a look, and let me see what you mean somehow.

Erkki_M
02-02-2010, 03:23 AM
By quicker I meant scanning is quicker. Not quite that much of a problem anymore with low-wastetime screens, but its because of the way the human eye works: movement(ie. as in this case small slightly darker-than-surrounding area dots move against the background) quicker than stationary details. I've set the hat view such that the camera turn is instantaneous, so that if I'm not rolling I have more or less stationary picture outside. Takes 4-5 seconds to scan all the space around me, even low six, for closer threats and further away ones that are either above me or level. I know I sound more or less narcistic now but I know I have above average situational awareness, and most of the people I play with or against use TIR.

Of course adjusting gamma, contrast, brightness and colours of the screen and graphics card would do almost the same, but I prefer not getting a headache playing any game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I find TIR useful only for immersion and following a target in a close-in knifefight and scissors, if you need your left hand for the throttle. I dont own one and not going to get one either(I dont find any no-immersion reasons for it, got enough axels and buttons in the stick).

Fogmaster_
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Just a note, for the guys running higher resolutions 1680x1050 and up, I noticed the only one who posted his screen size was 24"

the 1680x1050 is a 22" monitor resolution, so he is running a lower resolution than normal. It is not a bad thing but it means that picture is stretched out a bit, hence bigger blobs.

I ran a 20" widescreen at 1680x1050 and I have a VERY hard time seeing blobs at a distance. I turned it down to 1480x900 and I can see the dots MUCH clearer.

julian265
02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Specific resolutions are not linked with screen size, however there are some common sizes. 1680x1050 may well be the native resolution of a 24" monitor, probably an early one.

Since the smallest dot is 2x2 pixels, it's not the resolution which affects ease of spotting the dot, but the pixel size (or pitch) of the monitor. Cram a larger amount of pixels onto a smaller screen and the 2x2 dot becomes smaller and harder to see.

To fix this problem, the game would need to know the user's monitor size and resolution, which opens it up to cheating - you could say that your monitor size is small, which would yield larger dots.

na85
02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fogmaster_:
Just a note, for the guys running higher resolutions 1680x1050 and up, I noticed the only one who posted his screen size was 24"

the 1680x1050 is a 22" monitor resolution, so he is running a lower resolution than normal. It is not a bad thing but it means that picture is stretched out a bit, hence bigger blobs.

I ran a 20" widescreen at 1680x1050 and I have a VERY hard time seeing blobs at a distance. I turned it down to 1480x900 and I can see the dots MUCH clearer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Julian said, resolution is not linked to the physical dimensions of the screen itself.

1680x1050 will look just fine on any monitor, provided the aspect ratio is correct. If your aspect ratio is set properly you will not experience stretching, irrespective of the resolution you set.

Airmail109
02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
If you have trouble seeing the dots and want a decent resoloution, seriously consider investing in a large lcd tv instead. One that runs 1080p, I tried IL2 through my dads 32" screen and it was far easier to see stuff even at that resoloution. Looked much better than 1024x768 on a small screen.

Woke_Up_Dead
02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erkki_M:
From my conf.ini:

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=9.0
MinLen=0.01
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=30000.0
Speed=50

That should significantly help people that use the stick's POV hat and mouse for looking around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice, I was just about to post a question about how to get the view to center instantly, thanks.

I also agree with you that TIR is probably an advantage when scissoring and knife-fighting, any advice on how to retain SA in that situation with a hat and mouse?

Erkki_M
02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Practice. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif