PDA

View Full Version : Next AC for PC?

ace3001
02-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Now while we wait for ACB, do you guys think there's even the slightest chance that someone out there in Ubi is working on a PC version alongside the PS3 and 360 versions?

ThaWhistle
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
one coming out in 2011? probable delay. for AC3, i really hope they can do it all at hte same time.

AubreyWilborn
02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
I doubt they'll release the next AC game for the PC. However, if they are stupid enough to release the next AC game, in the same manner as they're doing with Brotherhood-they might as well not release the game for PC. This whole waiting thing, and unknown release dates thing is just a mess.

Razrback16
02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Ubisoft has made it clear how they feel about their PC fanbase. I don't see anything changing. I can guarantee without the slightest shadow of a doubt though, after the Assassin's Creed series is concluded, I will not involve myself with any games that come from Ubisoft. In fact I will take a bit of pleasure out of picking up the box on the shelf @ Gamestop, examining the Ubisoft logo and gleefully setting it back on the shelf.

ThaWhistle
02-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Razrback16:
Ubisoft has made it clear how they feel about their PC fanbase. I don't see anything changing. I can guarantee without the slightest shadow of a doubt though, after the Assassin's Creed series is concluded, I will not involve myself with any games that come from Ubisoft. In fact I will take a bit of pleasure out of picking up the box on the shelf @ Gamestop, examining the Ubisoft logo and gleefully setting it back on the shelf.

indeed they have, and they do indeed care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't release a PC version. I'm not a real fan of Ubisoft's management team, but if they didn't care, they wouldn't release PC titles anymore.

The major titles will always be Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but we will probably always take a back seat because it is a smaller market.

Razrback16
02-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razrback16:

indeed they have, and they do indeed care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't release a PC version. I'm not a real fan of Ubisoft's management team, but if they didn't care, they wouldn't release PC titles anymore.

The major titles will always be Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but we will probably always take a back seat because it is a smaller market. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're releasing the PC version to make money, not because they care about the PC fanbase. If they cared about the PC fanbase and keeping those customers permanently, they would've made the efforts other companies do to have a synchronized release.

ThaWhistle
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razrback16:

The major titles will always be Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but we will probably always take a back seat because it is a smaller market. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're releasing the PC version to make money, not because they care about the PC fanbase. If they cared about the PC fanbase and keeping those customers permanently, they would've made the efforts other companies do to have a synchronized release. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Ubisoft is limited by manpower and time. they probably make a very small amount of money off of the PC version.

they could easily just skip a PC version, and increase their profit margins substantially, but they don't.

Razrback16
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Nah, Ubisoft is limited by manpower and time. they probably make a very small amount of money off of the PC version.

they could easily just skip a PC version, and increase their profit margins substantially, but they don't.

We will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ace3001
02-03-2011, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:

We will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too will agree to disagree with ThaWhistle here. Dude, Ubisoft is a business, not a non-profit charity organization.

Stormchase89
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
there are alot of pros and cons to consider releasing to PC and everyone knows all the profit lyes with consoles these days

Yo've got

Modding
Cheating
Ilegal downloads

Alot of it is harmless but it still loses them money and cheating side of things there are no real consequences for PC users where as Consoles will lose use of there console online.

ThaWhistle
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:

We will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too will agree to disagree with ThaWhistle here. Dude, Ubisoft is a business, not a non-profit charity organization. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good job, you completely missed my point then.

If ubisoft did not make any pc version, they would almost definitely have a higher profit margin, which in turn makes shareholders happy.

If they truly didn't care, and were focused ONLY on making money they wouldn't even make PC versions to begin with.

Razrback16
02-04-2011, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:

We will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too will agree to disagree with ThaWhistle here. Dude, Ubisoft is a business, not a non-profit charity organization. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If ubisoft did not make any pc version, they would almost definitely have a higher profit margin, which in turn makes shareholders happy.

If they truly didn't care, and were focused ONLY on making money they wouldn't even make PC versions to begin with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're not looking at the larger picture here -- Ubisoft knows that if they say you to the PC crowd (which they've done to a certain degree with this franchise already) completely by not releasing a PC version, it will hurt them with an even larger crowd down the road with other PC games. I know other people besides me have already written them off for future games because of the way they've handled this. So like I say. It's all about the $$ and it should be. They do better business in the long run by releasing for all platforms at the same time. Keep all the fanbases happy and they will keep buying your product.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

ThaWhistle
02-04-2011, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:

If they truly didn't care, and were focused ONLY on making money they wouldn't even make PC versions to begin with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're not looking at the larger picture here -- Ubisoft knows that if they say f*ck you to the PC crowd (which they've done to a certain degree with this franchise already) completely by not releasing a PC version, it will hurt them with an even larger crowd down the road with other PC games. I know other people besides me have already written them off for future games because of the way they've handled this. So like I say. It's all about the $$ and it should be. They do better business in the long run by releasing for all platforms at the same time. Keep all the fanbases happy and they will keep buying your product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it didn't stop them with GR2, the really bad ports they did with both rainbow six vegas, etc.

consumers have short memories.

Razrback16
02-04-2011, 10:02 AM

I think you're not looking at the larger picture here -- Ubisoft knows that if they say f*ck you to the PC crowd (which they've done to a certain degree with this franchise already) completely by not releasing a PC version, it will hurt them with an even larger crowd down the road with other PC games. I know other people besides me have already written them off for future games because of the way they've handled this. So like I say. It's all about the $$ and it should be. They do better business in the long run by releasing for all platforms at the same time. Keep all the fanbases happy and they will keep buying your product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it didn't stop them with GR2, the really bad ports they did with both rainbow six vegas, etc.

consumers have short memories. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some do, sure. Some also have long-term memories. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ThaWhistle
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
those that do sure as hell aren't here. in all the years ive seen people make threats of boycotting, and such, very very few every follow through. and those that do, are long gone.

Razrback16
02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
those that do sure as hell aren't here.

Right -- why would they be here if they followed through? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LCGuardian
02-04-2011, 12:49 PM

If they truly didn't care, and were focused ONLY on making money they wouldn't even make PC versions to begin with.

You say that the PC version is reducing their profit margins. The reverse way of saying that is that Ubisoft makes a loss on the PC version. Which can't be right, for at least 2 reasons I think of right now. First is obviously that the PC is not held in the highest regard at Ubisoft right now. If it was a loss making venture it would already been gone, because they're no sentimentalism going towards the platform at the moment. But secondly, and more importantly, Ubisoft's in some tough financial times at the moment. Anything that isn't a profit making venture would be gone, because they simply can't afford the losses on their P&L sheet. So if the PC was losing money, it would be gone.

I remember posting an article on here a while back saying that PC is still by a considerable margin the most profitable format per unit sold because it isn't bound up with the considerable licencing fees that developers have to pay for consoles. The PC versions of AC titles ship a reasonable number of units. I'd be incredibly surprised if that didn't make them moderately profitable for Ubisoft.

restomaniac
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by LCGuardian:

You say that the PC version is reducing their profit margins. The reverse way of saying that is that Ubisoft makes a loss on the PC version. Which can't be right, for at least 2 reasons I think of right now. First is obviously that the PC is not held in the highest regard at Ubisoft right now. If it was a loss making venture it would already been gone, because they're no sentimentalism going towards the platform at the moment. But secondly, and more importantly, Ubisoft's in some tough financial times at the moment. Anything that isn't a profit making venture would be gone, because they simply can't afford the losses on their P&L sheet. So if the PC was losing money, it would be gone.

I remember posting an article on here a while back saying that PC is still by a considerable margin the most profitable format per unit sold because it isn't bound up with the considerable licencing fees that developers have to pay for consoles. The PC versions of AC titles ship a reasonable number of units. I'd be incredibly surprised if that didn't make them moderately profitable for Ubisoft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Indeed there seem to be some twisted logic that if a game isn't released on PC peeps will just buy a console and then buy it on that version.
When what will actually happen is the PC player will say you then Ubisoft'
Now some games are only really applicable to the PC due to how they are formatted/how they work so how anyone can think that a game publisher will REALLY alienate a whole raft of gamers simply because of the platform they have is beyond me.
One question that no one at Ubisoft seems to want to answer is how do other game publishers manage to release at the same time on ALL platforms.
Another one is why do Ubisoft seem to be focusing on the console DLC instead of focusing/finishing and releasing on the platform that has been left blowing in the wind especially when its sounding more and more likely that the DLC will be free.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

ace3001
02-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by restomaniac:
Indeed there seem to be some twisted logic that if a game isn't released on PC peeps will just buy a console and then buy it on that version.
Console fanboys always tell us to do that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ThaWhistle
02-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by LCGuardian:

I remember posting an article on here a while back saying that PC is still by a considerable margin the most profitable format per unit sold because it isn't bound up with the considerable licencing fees that developers have to pay for consoles. The PC versions of AC titles ship a reasonable number of units. I'd be incredibly surprised if that didn't make them moderately profitable for Ubisoft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, the PC version is less profitable than the console versions, I never said it was losing them money, but it sure as hell is not making them as much money.

I could probably look into this more and get some accurate numbers, but I'm not about to do it right now. But suffice to say, if the PC version was as profitable or more profitable than the console versions, we wouldn't see a delay.

LCGuardian
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
no, the PC version is less profitable than the console versions, I never said it was losing them money, but it sure as hell is not making them as much money.

I could probably look into this more and get some accurate numbers, but I'm not about to do it right now. But suffice to say, if the PC version was as profitable or more profitable than the console versions, we wouldn't see a delay.

PC versions of any multiplatform title are more profitable than their console counterparts per unit. I linked to a detailed article a few months back that set out the cost relationships and why profits on console versions were lower because of licencing fees paid to Sony and Microsoft, but I can't remember the thread at this point.

But its all a moot point anyway. If they ship far less PC units of AC titles compared to console titles, then as a whole the PC will be less profitable. But we'll never get the sales figures of each platform to resolve it one way or the other because Ubisoft will hoard them (like it hoards every conceiveable bit of information, apparently) as being commerically sensitive.