PDA

View Full Version : Increasing visibility.

BF_Jagdflieger
01-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Hello there.
Is there a way to increase this **** dot vilibility? You can't see the whole plane from 1000-2000m abowe it not talking about a small dot.Makes BnZ tactics useless...

BF_Jagdflieger
01-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Hello there.
Is there a way to increase this **** dot vilibility? You can't see the whole plane from 1000-2000m abowe it not talking about a small dot.Makes BnZ tactics useless...

zoinks_
01-11-2006, 08:45 AM
i envy that you can see the dot.

antifreeze
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
It seems to be system dependent. Usually I can see LODs (actual graphics with wings, not a dot) until 5km. 2km above an enemy, on my system it is fairly easy to see fighters below me (although not impossible to miss them either). I could definitely BnZ from 2km with little problem on the default DOT distance setting of 16km. But everyone claims to see it differently.

The first point to bear in mind is that the FOV of your monitor screen when sitting 50cm away from it is about 30 degrees. The only view in FB which matches this 'real-life 30 degrees' is 'zoom view'. In every FOV larger than this (default view and wide view), the objects onscreen have to be reduced in size compared with what you would see if your monitor was actually just a glass window that you were looking through. So some of the problem is that most players don't search for enemies using zoom view, because the FOV is too narrow, but it is only this view which gives an accurate representation of the size objects would be in real-life. The real-life 'reflection glint' in missing from FB/PF too, which would obviously make objects much easier to spot. Obviously the resolution of real-life is infinitely more than a 1152x864 monitor too.

If you are hosting (or playing single missions offline), typing 'mp_dotrange DOT 25' into the console might help to see aircraft further. Also, you might try searching through all your graphic card 'texture' or 'texture compression' settings and making sure none of them are set to 'performance'; they should be set to 'quality' or at least 'default' to avoid problems with aircraft suddenly disappearing and reappearing at certain ranges. Some aircraft were modelled incorrectly and have wings which disappear at certain distances; there is nothing you can do about that.

Lastly, if you are having problems seeing aircraft online, do first check that the host hasn't made a stupid DOT setting before assuming it is your system that is at fault. A well known server (which I won't mention by name) uses a DOT setting of 1km, which means the aircraft are completely invisible beyond that point, and suddenly pop into view coming across this threshold. You can check the current DOT setting of the server by typing 'mp_dotrange' into the console.

LEXX_Luthor
01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Try a lower resolution if you want. Dot visibility is highly resolution dependent. I do not drop below 1152x864 in a 21st Century flight sim, and I refuse the Text Icons, so I live with the invisible dots.

Hoatee
01-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Yep,

Losing sight of the enemy makes me sweat.

Vengeanze
01-12-2006, 06:33 AM
mp_dotrange is the solution.

U checked your Visivility=3 in your conf.ini right?

Anisotropic Filtering should help in seeing things in a distance. Set it as hi as possible.

BF_Jagdflieger
01-13-2006, 04:11 AM
I made some tweaks you suggested about grapthics card and it's quite better now.Thanks for help. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif