PDA

View Full Version : Corsair in level flight?

joseph92371
08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Hello,
This may sound like a strange question but was wondering if anyone noticed that the Corsair doesn't seem like it's flying level when it actually is? In other words when you visually try to fly level it actually isn't level. In the Hellcat and other planes it is easy to visually fly level. Maybe it's that long nose?

Todd

joseph92371
08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Hello,
This may sound like a strange question but was wondering if anyone noticed that the Corsair doesn't seem like it's flying level when it actually is? In other words when you visually try to fly level it actually isn't level. In the Hellcat and other planes it is easy to visually fly level. Maybe it's that long nose?

Todd

neural_dream
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
i am not sure i understand. I guess you mean that the pilot's head is not centered in the cockpit of the plane. The only second option for the position of the head of the pilot is by pressing shift+F1.

VFS-214_Hawk
08-22-2005, 03:21 PM
I never noticed that but I do notice a constand yawing oscilation although very very little it is.

That is all trimed up and not even touching the controls.

FritzGryphon
08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
No plane will be perfectly level with the horizon in level flight.

It depends on the angle of attack required to stay level. At low speeds, AoA is high, and the aircraft's nose is above the horizon. At high speeds, or using flaps, it can become negative, with the nose below the horizon.

joseph92371
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks.
So is it safe to assume that real pilots relied on gauges for level flight. For some reason I can just feel what is level in the other planes but I need to work on the corsair!

Thanks.
Todd

fordfan25
08-22-2005, 08:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joseph92371:
Thanks.
So is it safe to assume that real pilots relied on gauges for level flight. For some reason I can just feel what is level in the other planes but I need to work on the corsair!

Thanks.
Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that and thay spent more time flyn the same plane so thay knew just were to hold her ect. plus things in real life work and feel deffernt.

stansdds
08-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Real airplanes can give you sensory clues as to what's going on, computer sims, at least the desktop variety, cannot. I tend to rely on the gyro horizon, compass, and climb/dive indicators for maintaining level flight. When online, I just try to keep up with my wingman.

Low_Flyer_MkII
08-23-2005, 05:03 AM
I nearly gave up on the Corsair - seemed to hit the water a lot even by my standards. But now I've got the hang of it, I love it. Like a lot of posters here say, practice makes perfect - or barely acceptable in my case. It's very easy to be jack of all trades and master of none in this game, we're a little spoilt for choice with flyables now aren't we?