PDA

View Full Version : xp and drivers

Lunahod
01-17-2006, 04:16 AM
Ok, so I am a completely newbie what comes to my xp expertise. However, I just got a completely new rig and after installing xp (containing sp2) on a completely blank hard drive all ok. Then I started to install the drivers and immediately everything turned to ship of fools. I got most of the drivers at least partially installed, but for example mainboard utilities did not install at all, asus smart doctor did install, but it is not functional, creative audigy driver got installed, but many features are not working and finally I managed to install the thrustmasted force feedback joystick, but only the original driver from the cd, xp refuses to install the downloaded update. The display turns black several times in the start up after the desktop has appeared, but after that everything seems to run normally.

As I use my rig for playing, things are not that bad; games are running fine and the system is rock solid, but I cannot believe that installing drivers in year 2006 is such a pain!!?? Also I am unable to overclock the graphics card, or the processor. As I already mentioned, I know nothing about xp. Perhaps there is a simple trick I should do on settings or something. Anyone has any ideas?

Anyway, thanks a lot folks!

ps. My rig:

Athlon64 3500+
Kingston 1024 Mb PC3200
Asus AN8-E
Asus 6800GT 256 Mb PCI-E
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
Matrox 80 Gb SATA150 7200 rpm
Toshiba DVD/CD-RW
Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback
CH Pedals Pro
Sony G420
Innovatek watercooling

Lunahod
01-17-2006, 04:16 AM
Ok, so I am a completely newbie what comes to my xp expertise. However, I just got a completely new rig and after installing xp (containing sp2) on a completely blank hard drive all ok. Then I started to install the drivers and immediately everything turned to ship of fools. I got most of the drivers at least partially installed, but for example mainboard utilities did not install at all, asus smart doctor did install, but it is not functional, creative audigy driver got installed, but many features are not working and finally I managed to install the thrustmasted force feedback joystick, but only the original driver from the cd, xp refuses to install the downloaded update. The display turns black several times in the start up after the desktop has appeared, but after that everything seems to run normally.

As I use my rig for playing, things are not that bad; games are running fine and the system is rock solid, but I cannot believe that installing drivers in year 2006 is such a pain!!?? Also I am unable to overclock the graphics card, or the processor. As I already mentioned, I know nothing about xp. Perhaps there is a simple trick I should do on settings or something. Anyone has any ideas?

Anyway, thanks a lot folks!

ps. My rig:

Athlon64 3500+
Kingston 1024 Mb PC3200
Asus AN8-E
Asus 6800GT 256 Mb PCI-E
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
Matrox 80 Gb SATA150 7200 rpm
Toshiba DVD/CD-RW
Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback
CH Pedals Pro
Sony G420
Innovatek watercooling

dieg777
01-17-2006, 05:47 AM
the only things I know that would stop xp from allowing drivers to install is if you do not have administrator privalages or that you have a firewall configured that does not allow downloads. As you are the sole user on a new machine this is unlikley but possible that you dont have administrator rights. go to control panel and click on user accounts- then look at your own account and check it has computer administrator under it. If not you will have to access administrator account and change your privaliges.
see here for how to access administrator-

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

once in administrator then click your profile and give yourself administrator rights.

check firewall documentation regarding downloads access.

here is a good general xp site

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

It is important that you put on the correct drivers for stability- please post your dxdiag and steve-v or someone cleverer than I am can check throught to make sure that you have got what you need- instructions for dxdiag are-

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/system.htm post them in this thread.

good luck

Lunahod
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Ok, I will check this once I get home. Thanks a lot mate!