PDA

View Full Version : Q about Ati radeon 9800 pro

triggerhappyfin
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Tomorrow I´m gonna change my GF4 ti4600 to an Ati radeon 9800 pro.

What drivers to use? Any sudgestions?

triggerhappyfin
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Tomorrow I´m gonna change my GF4 ti4600 to an Ati radeon 9800 pro.

What drivers to use? Any sudgestions?

KGr.HH-Sunburst
05-17-2005, 11:41 AM
cat 4.7, 4.11 and 5.4 all work good for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG52Uther
05-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I use 5.3 and am very happy.some guys have apparently had problems with 5.4. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

triggerhappyfin
05-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Tnx guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

steve_v
05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
cat5.5 was just released

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/The_Presz/mapoches.jpg

Lucius_Esox
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
5.4's work well for me. I went from a 4600 to a 9800pro, both nice cards. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of extra fps, if any, but you can turn AAup (I run at 4AA in 1024 768) and the game is much prettier on the 9800.

In the Black death on perfect at above res average 30fps with a low of 7 although that is because I only have 768mb of ram.

Sys
XP2800, Gigabyte GA7VXP (KT400), connect 3d 9800pro128, s/blaster live 5.1, 768 pc2700.
OS WinXP sp2, Cat 5.4's.

steve v what are the 5.5's like compared to to the 5.4's?

Tallyho1961
05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Using 5.4s - no problems here. Nice card. Didn't know about the 5.5s.

Lucius_Esox
05-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Tallyho1961,
Your sys specs are very similar to mine and the only differences are what I am intending to upgrade to. How much extra performance do you think I would get? i.e. average in Black death in perfect at 1024x768?

Tallyho1961
05-17-2005, 08:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
Tallyho1961,
Your sys specs are very similar to mine and the only differences are what I am intending to upgrade to. How much extra performance do you think I would get? i.e. average in Black death in perfect at 1024x768? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed that and I wish I could answer your question but my BD track disappeared some time ago - I must have accidentally deleted it. I've been using Kamikaze for my benchmarking and I can tell you this about it:

1024x768, perfect mode, water 1, AA4X, no AF, VSync on I get 28 average, 8 min, max 84. Water 1 costs me almost 5 FPS versus water 0, but I like it so much I make do. Kamikaze is a tough track; in general these settings give me very nice performance - no issues online at all. If I want to play a really heavy offline mission I dial down the water setting to 0 and drop AA from 4 to 2. That bumps my average FPS by about 6.

VW-IceFire
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Make sure you clean your nVidia drivers out COMPLETELY or you will get nasty results.

Freelancer-1
05-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I haven't seen much in the forums about this, but I like the drivers from Omega.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Worth a look see, anyway.

Xiolablu3
05-18-2005, 02:23 AM
We got a X800 Pro 256mb at the weekend for 160,

BARGAIN!

Its a **** great card.

For the same price as a mid range 256mb 6600GT we got a almost top end card! And it blows the 256mb 6600GT away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sorry I got off topic there, boasting about our new card, sorry!. Enjoy your 9800 Pro, also a good card!

Lucius_Esox
05-18-2005, 04:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I noticed that and I wish I could answer your question but my BD track disappeared some time ago - I must have accidentally deleted it. I've been using Kamikaze for my benchmarking and I can tell you this about it:

1024x768, perfect mode, water 1, AA4X, no AF, VSync on I get 28 average, 8 min, max 84. Water 1 costs me almost 5 FPS versus water 0, but I like it so much I make do. Kamikaze is a tough track; in general these settings give me very nice performance - no issues online at all. If I want to play a really heavy offline mission I dial down the water setting to 0 and drop AA from 4 to 2. That bumps my average FPS by about 6.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, am working at the moment Tallyho but will benchtest that when I get in to have a comparison. Very usefull really as apart from the processor the upgrade will cost me about 60 English. My cpu is running at just under XP3000 speeds vis fsb o/clock.

Any higher and with this board the pci slots start to o/clock as well (and of course the ram, which tends to make things fall over a bit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

triggerhappyfin
05-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Got the new card installed!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Sooo much better than my old gf 4 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
The water..The water looks so much better and in perfect mode my fps went up approx w 20 fps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
All stuttering dissapeared http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Should it be so much better?

Lucius_Esox
05-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Just done the test Tallyho, interesting!

First did it with water set to 0, average 29,. Then set water to 1, average 25.

Pretty conclusive really. The Audigy and the extra ram plus a few more cpu cycles gives 4-5 fps more, thats a nice gain.

As you can see I lost almost identical to you by turning water 1 on.

thx for the comparison!

Lucius_Esox
05-18-2005, 07:00 AM
triggerhappy,
Perfect kills the old Ti4600 card as you can see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What I found was not a lot of difference in excellent but gains such as your in perfect

enjoy!

Tallyho1961
05-18-2005, 07:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
Just done the test Tallyho, interesting!

First did it with water set to 0, average 29,. Then set water to 1, average 25.

Pretty conclusive really. The Audigy and the extra ram plus a few more cpu cycles gives 4-5 fps more, thats a nice gain.

As you can see I lost almost identical to you by turning water 1 on.

thx for the comparison! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad I was able to help.

Yeah - Water 1 is a hungry little feature. When you think of the reduced FPS as a percentage of what we're both able to get as a total with these specs, it's brutal.

Maybe version 4.0 will have some unexpected graphics optimizations - I'm mildly concerned about how it will affect my FPS. I realize that speculation is useless at this point, but my MoBo is maxed out with the XP3000+ so if I lose a handful of FPS under 4.0, I'm out of options to recover them unless I start a new rig. Which isn't likely.

Cheers,

Dave.

Lucius_Esox
05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Ditto on the concerns about 4.0 there!

Jumoschwanz
05-18-2005, 07:44 AM
I have a nforce2/xp3200 system with a gig of ram.
I just went from a 9800pro to a X800XTPE. The new card is way more powerful than the 9800pro. I can run the black death track smoothly at 8x speed! Going to this card was the single biggest jump in video performance I have ever seen from just a card swap.

The reason for bringing this up here is this. AGP is as you know on its way out in a hurry. The selection of AGP motherboards and video cards from retailers is about twenty percent of what it was six months ago.

This means there is a very narrow window of opportunity to get a high end card for your AGP motherboard. The performance with the X850XTPE increased the 3D performance of my rig so greatly I am confident I will not need a new rig for at least 2-3 years. It runs this sim in perfect so easily now I am sure I will be able to run Bob at playable settings anyway.

I have run the 4.0 beta leak with this new card also and it handles it just fine.

I would bet before the year is out top-end AGP cards will not be avaliable, you will just be able to get middle of the road ones to maintain older rigs, kind of like you can still get a pci video card for the same purpose.

So think about it. The 9700/9800pro is a great card, but if you have a top end 32-bit AGP rig like a P4 3.0 or xp 3.0 or higher, and can somehow swing the purchase of the absolute top of the line X850XTPE with it's 250mb of ddr3, then get it. It will blow the 9800pro away and keep you from having to build a whole new rig for sometime.

The next gen of top end video card chipsets will probably not even be availiable in AGP, PCI express only. So if you don't get a top of the line AGP card now you might never have the chance.

IN the same area is if you have a nforce2 motherboard grab a xp2400-2500 mobile processor while they are still availiable. With a good air-cooled heat sink they are getting 2500mhz easy with these. These processors have unlocked multipliers and are probably the pinnacle of AMD 32-bit production before the line is discontinued. AMD has already stopped production of the regular XP2500, which was the gamers choice for a long time as it would run at 400fsb no problem and show up as a 3200xp in the bios. Now is the time to trick out that AMD 32-bit rig. S!

Jumoschwanz

Spitf_ACE
05-18-2005, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
I haven't seen much in the forums about this, but I like the drivers from Omega.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Worth a look see, anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone else use these?

I've tried them, but haven't tested to see if there's much improvement. They also tend to be one version behind the oficial CAT's.

Tallyho1961
05-18-2005, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I have a nforce2/xp3200 system with a gig of ram.
I just went from a 9800pro to a X800XTPE. The new card is way more powerful than the 9800pro. I can run the black death track smoothly at 8x speed! Going to this card was the single biggest jump in video performance I have ever seen from just a card swap.

The reason for bringing this up here is this. AGP is as you know on its way out in a hurry. The selection of AGP motherboards and video cards from retailers is about twenty percent of what it was six months ago.

This means there is a very narrow window of opportunity to get a high end card for your AGP motherboard. The performance with the X850XTPE increased the 3D performance of my rig so greatly I am confident I will not need a new rig for at least 2-3 years. It runs this sim in perfect so easily now I am sure I will be able to run Bob at playable settings anyway.

I have run the 4.0 beta leak with this new card also and it handles it just fine.

I would bet before the year is out top-end AGP cards will not be avaliable, you will just be able to get middle of the road ones to maintain older rigs, kind of like you can still get a pci video card for the same purpose.

So think about it. The 9700/9800pro is a great card, but if you have a top end 32-bit AGP rig like a P4 3.0 or xp 3.0 or higher, and can somehow swing the purchase of the absolute top of the line X850XTPE with it's 250mb of ddr3, then get it. It will blow the 9800pro away and keep you from having to build a whole new rig for sometime.

The next gen of top end video card chipsets will probably not even be availiable in AGP, PCI express only. So if you don't get a top of the line AGP card now you might never have the chance.

IN the same area is if you have a nforce2 motherboard grab a xp2400-2500 mobile processor while they are still availiable. With a good air-cooled heat sink they are getting 2500mhz easy with these. These processors have unlocked multipliers and are probably the pinnacle of AMD 32-bit production before the line is discontinued. AMD has already stopped production of the regular XP2500, which was the gamers choice for a long time as it would run at 400fsb no problem and show up as a 3200xp in the bios. Now is the time to trick out that AMD 32-bit rig. S!

Jumoschwanz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jumoschwanz - I saw your other post about the new card and it sounds quite the piece of gear. I don't follow hardware news, so I had no idea that AGP was in intensive care. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that, with my current MoBo/CPU/RAM combo, such a card would make a big difference.

I just got my 9800PRO about two months ago so unless I want to spend the next six on the couch I'm not going to upgrade just yet, but when AGP finally goes out the window I would expect prices on top-end AGP cards to plummet. Maybe I'll be able pick one up then.

Thanks for the heads up!