PDA

View Full Version : Oleg: Online Scoring System for BoB

Buzzsaw-
03-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello Oleg

For the online scoring system in BoB, please look at making some changes from IL-2/FB/PF.

The system now only awards points for kills of aircraft and ground targets, and only subtracts points when a player kills aircraft or ground units of his own side.

This means a player can be killed hundreds of times, and loses no points from his score. Yes, he gets less points for kills when he dies, but there is no penalty for being shot down. This system encourages players to fly with a minimum of caution, no care about staying alive, and with only a focus on shooting down opponents.

Please design the system in BoB so that players lose points when their aircraft is shot down and additional points when they are killed. This will encourage more realistic flying on the servers, and scores will reflect the real skill of the players.

Thanks again for your great work!

Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw-
03-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello Oleg

For the online scoring system in BoB, please look at making some changes from IL-2/FB/PF.

The system now only awards points for kills of aircraft and ground targets, and only subtracts points when a player kills aircraft or ground units of his own side.

This means a player can be killed hundreds of times, and loses no points from his score. Yes, he gets less points for kills when he dies, but there is no penalty for being shot down. This system encourages players to fly with a minimum of caution, no care about staying alive, and with only a focus on shooting down opponents.

Please design the system in BoB so that players lose points when their aircraft is shot down and additional points when they are killed. This will encourage more realistic flying on the servers, and scores will reflect the real skill of the players.

Thanks again for your great work!

Buzzsaw

Hristos
03-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Yes, score penalty for getting shot down would be nice. Too many suicide score monkeys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Foo.bar
03-22-2005, 01:44 AM
i am with you! let them lose points when beeing shot down.

Scragbat
03-22-2005, 04:05 AM
Sounds like a good idea, but...

How many points to be deducted? If you're saying -100 (for example) if you get shot down, then your score will go into the negative if you have a bad run. FBD will soon think you are a team killer and boot you.
How about the new scoring system only deducting points if you have a score greater than zero >0? That way you won't go into the negative unless you actually do TK.
I personally would like to see an end to the scoring system or an alternative method...

Press 'S' and get these results per pilot acordingly...
K=7, KIA=3, K/D=2.3
K=Kills, KIA=Killed in action, K/D=Kill/Death ratio.
If the list was auto sorted by K/D when you pressed 'S' that would be cool too...

Just thinking out loud...

Hristos
03-22-2005, 04:32 AM
How many points are deducted can be a host setting.

Also, some servers who kick or team killing also don't like suicide kamikaze players.

Recon_609IAP
03-22-2005, 04:48 AM
I've asked for awhile now to do something similiar, perhaps a DiD feature - you die or get captured - you lose all your points.

Although I've pretty much given up on dogfight servers since they seem to be all about stats now. (Perhaps the next idea is to eliminate personal stats all together)

LEXX_Luthor
03-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Better idea is total unit score, that may help alot. If I recall correctly (http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif), in China and the early WAR, Japanese assigned "official" kills to aircraft, not pilots. But none of this kept pilots like Saburo from trying to keep score for himself and other members of his Wing.

Yes, require kill comfirmation by other players (or ground personnel if BoB AA is manned by players), just like Real Life. No automatic "you got kills" counting in the software--but recording the destruction of units is still required for the purpose of online war.

There is nothing wrong with keeping personal internet Brownie Point score by yourself or your Squad mates helping you keep score. If you want to know how many Brownie Points you score, follow the target--fly low--and get Bounced and shot down, just like Real Life. Or send your poor wingman low and slow to czech out the crash site for you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

JG53Frankyboy
03-22-2005, 06:39 AM
actually i cant tell you what i care less in PFm than the online score system http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stubby
03-22-2005, 08:25 AM
good idea Recon. Dogfights are boring but they are great way to kill time between coops. the closest to DiD is the one kia death kick which is a great way to reward those that strive to survive and while penalizing the point *****s. for the most part, df servers aren't about surviving just fraggin'.

F16_Sulan
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I like Luthors thoughts!!!

I´d also like shared kills

LEXX_Luthor
03-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks. I can go further...

I suggest that personal kill score is a Social idea, and personal score must be agreed upon by members of the online community, much as Real Life combat pilots had no Automatic Score Counter Machine but depended on social acceptance of their claims by the much larger community (the world actually).

If personal score counted by the larger online community presents a Problem, we need only look at the difficulty of "proving" for all society the Real Life pilots' counts of personal scores--how often do we hear the Joke about Erich Hartman's total of 35.2 kills? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ie...no Automatic software score counting in the sim would be the most "full real" and may be one extra tool to discourage non~historical behavior by gamers over the internet. The online player must keep his/her own score, with the help of Team mates. The problem that any tool tries to solve is that Real Life combat pilots were a far more close and trusting community than internet simmers (Team Killers would face immediate execution for example). Even if not intentional, MiG pilot Porkryshin was lucky to get away without a communist style Court Martial for downing Soviet Su~2 because of the confusing events on the first day of the German invasion of the Soviet Union.

LLv34_Stafroty
03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
what about giving score from the damage you have made on enemy targets? every gun already have their damage rate tables, just count how many hits landed at target and voila. if critical spot is hit and critical damage inflicted, some extra points from those http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Daiichidoku
03-22-2005, 06:28 PM
How about...NO points whatsoever?

points, or scores, just encourage bad habits and manners online

many pilots seems to think that points mean they are good...

do away with points completely, they are ridiculous, and a complete waste of time

instead, have what was important IRL,and what was used in Janes WWII fighters, or at least something similar..

both individual and team KILL/LOSS ratio counter

the pilot who gets 1 kill, 0 losses, is, IMHO, doing much, much better and gets my respect over the idiot with 1000 points, that took him 8,9,10, or more deaths or ac shot from under him to achieve...

post coops briefs would include team totals of how many ac, tanks,trucks, AAA units, troops, battleships, cariers, destroyers, tankers, buildings, whatever the case may be, has been destroyed by the team, and then a listing of each players contributions

team red kill 10 ac, 5 tanks, and 2 trucks
player XXX (team red) kill 2 ac, 1 tank, 2 truck

team red lost 9 ac 0 tanks 1 truck

this also allows players or squads to assign their own "point" values to whatever tgt they wish

PLEASE, NO point system, just tally kills per unit of type, by team and/or individual, wether coop, df, online or offline

maybe this way help with players co-operating, not kill-stealing for points, and being more aware of saving thier **** JUST a lil more

Daiichidoku
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
in a DF server online, for exampe, when hitting "S" key, any player would see both teams kills/losses, and each players running tallies, of kills/losses

these could be even further refined into subcategories of kill to fighters, bombers, ships, grd tgts, etc, and/or killed by fighters, bombers, ships or grd tgts etc

POINTS? PFFFFFFFFFFFT!

LEXX_Luthor
03-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Well said Daiich. Why couldn't I say that as clear as you?

If they want personal score, its up to them to keep track themselves in their head, and find Confirmation among the online community. Just like Real Life.

Daiichidoku
03-23-2005, 09:15 PM
becuase, Lexxx, I dont obsess about Xenia Seeberg all day....hmm Xenia...where my vaseline?

ahem...yea, I mean, 400 points for a 4 engine bomber? (or 600 for a Me 323?) when taking out a flak bettery thats firing on your teammates should be worht infinitly more, is just silly

NO points! PLEASE!

KILL/LOSS ratio!

btw, instead of no cockpit dial cluster view in FB, how about the instrument pop ups, just like Janes had? adjustable both for size, and location onscreen...a wonderful feature that Oleg somehow omitted from il2