PDA

View Full Version : UI merging with HSFX and 'unbranding'

Metatron_123
11-22-2009, 03:07 AM
First sign of mod streamlining, over at AAA, Monguse announced that all UI content is going to be included as part of HSFX and it's next update, mostly in SFS format for speedy loading...

Probably nothing special for Ultrapack users, but good news nonetheless, for onliners especially I presume.

Metatron_123
11-22-2009, 03:07 AM
First sign of mod streamlining, over at AAA, Monguse announced that all UI content is going to be included as part of HSFX and it's next update, mostly in SFS format for speedy loading...

Probably nothing special for Ultrapack users, but good news nonetheless, for onliners especially I presume.

ytareh
11-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Just went UI1.8 last night via torrent (go on just install the torrent downloader I use UTorrent -first letter is MU- in Greek alphabeth so download it from reliable source like maybe filehippo etc there are lots of dodgy original 'sources' Id bet -you wont have a SWAT team flying in through the window!) (took under 2 hours download and 10 min install) rather than trying to do 10 downloads from megaupload which will take all day!
Works perfectly other than Swordfish which unfortunately seems corrupted (reinstall to fix ?)SUCH a mountain of mods in this ....soooo handy ...

Metatron_123
11-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Wait for the new release from HSFX! It will load faster and include everything from UI, there will be no more UI updates.

Edit: Oh you mean Ultrapack, in that case ignore what I said. However I hope they too release their material under a common banner.

ElAurens
11-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Ultrapack for offline.

"Unbranded" pack for online.

Does that sound like what is happening?

I hope that something positive happens soon. Online is currently a wasteland. I miss flying. Have not touched IL2 since things got all version crazy.

And there are still servers running 4.08. Why?

BillSwagger
11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I really don't understand the confusion. Ui1.2 covers all your online needs at the moment, unless you want to play 4.09m in which case you'd need a separate install.

I would like to see UI 1.8 be put to use, but it almost sounds like the final product to come out of all of this will be this merger.

The downloading is a nuisance, and i would like to have a version on my hard drive for more than couple weeks, and so far Ui1.2 is that version.
I realize there is more work to be done which takes time, but all this correlating of mods and such has not interfered with my online experience at all.

Could it be better, of course, and thats what these folks are working on.

thanks

Bill

Scolar
11-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Gah why did other groups decide to do modding as well? They all just come up with the same stuff as the UI 1.2.

Now even the UI is user unfriendly so I'm having to play exclusively official patch servers.

F19_Orheim
11-22-2009, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
I really don't understand the confusion...

...I would like to see UI 1.8 be put to use
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL.. that last sentence alone tells alot about the confusion.

I truly welcome this scenario...

megalopsuche
11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
Ultrapack for offline.

I hope that something positive happens soon. Online is currently a wasteland. I miss flying. Have not touched IL2 since things got all version crazy.

And there are still servers running 4.08. Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At least one still runs 4.08 because they were hacked just after the release of 4.09, and are still picking through the rubble.

Others are adopting a wait and see approach because of the mod splintering.

idonno
11-22-2009, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

Online is currently a wasteland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right now there are 674 people in HyperLobby.

Wasteland?

F19_Orheim
11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I too am a bit suprised over statements like that, the other day there were 800+, and that alone on HL (not counting e.g xfire).

Not sure why people "believe" that there are few people online, it sure isn't based on empirical studies.

ElAurens
11-22-2009, 11:44 AM
OK here is why it's a wasteland to me...

1. Warbirds of Prey decided to block over 65,000 specific IPs just to get rid of one troublemaker, guess who now can never fly on Spits or Zekes because his IP falls in that range? I wonder how many others there are?

2. The AAA UI has become too unwieldy and crash prone online. I deleted it. Insane load times, and giant footprint = fail.

3. Still too many good servers on 4.08. Why? 4.09 is the official version now.
Get on with it you slackers.

4. At least three different "mod packs", with infinite permutations on all of them.

5. Too many servers with kiddie car, open pit, arcade settings. Man up and learn to do it right. Sheesh.

idonno
11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
5. Too many servers with kiddie car, open pit, arcade settings. Man up and learn to do it right. Sheesh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could not agree more with #5. I read a post the other day from somebody talking about the settings they wanted on a server. They wanted full real accept for external views becuase "I need those."

Need?

Need?!

C'mon people, MAN UP!

Rjel
11-22-2009, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by idonnoI could not agree more with #5. I read a post the other day from somebody talking about the settings they wanted on a server. They wanted full real accept for external views becuase "I need those."

Need?

Need?!

C'mon people, MAN UP! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"MAN UP!" Is that all there is to it? lol I really never minded flying online without outside views enabled after IL2 gave us the ability to record online ntrks. At least you can go back and see what you missed.My only wish would be for a switch that allowed you to have an outside view after dying during a coop so you could watch the action. But I know the arguments against that too.

TheGrunch
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rjel:
But I know the arguments against that too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha, the Teamspeak guardian angel? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Metatron_123:
Probably nothing special for Ultrapack users, but good news nonetheless, for onliners especially I presume. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ultrapack is good for online as well.. both are very well done.. and correct me if I am wrong.. but unless someone is running either Zuti or a CRT 2 server as long as the version info is the same they shopuld all be compatible.. I have had people running the UP in our UI 1.2 server

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Just went UI1.8 last night via torrent (go on just install the torrent downloader I use UTorrent -first letter is MU- in Greek alphabeth so download it from reliable source like maybe filehippo etc there are lots of dodgy original 'sources' Id bet -you wont have a SWAT team flying in through the window!) (took under 2 hours download and 10 min install) rather than trying to do 10 downloads from megaupload which will take all day!
Works perfectly other than Swordfish which unfortunately seems corrupted (reinstall to fix ?)SUCH a mountain of mods in this ....soooo handy ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Metatron_123:
Wait for the new release from HSFX! It will load faster and include everything from UI, there will be no more UI updates.
Edit: Oh you mean Ultrapack, in that case ignore what I said. However I hope they too release their material under a common banner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Ultrapack for offline.
And there are still servers running 4.08. Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

El as I said above if I am not mistaken the packs are relatively compatible.. the difference is the Zuti MDF mod.. and as for online being a wasteland.. I don't think so.. it is too bad that one ******** got so many people hassled due to that IP thing.. but I think like you said the biggest problem for online stuff IMO is the fact that so many are still running 4.08.. and even 4.09b1m which I don't get either.. The 99th is moving to the UP 1.8. I think it is a good thing that Guse did by merging with HSFX.. and I also think that it will be good to have the field narrowed down to basically 2 packs... but I don't think that one should be for offline & another for online.. I think that they should just be two options.. that are both fully compatible.. and that is what I think that we are moving towards.. IMO we should just have two versions of this sim at any given time.. Ver X.xxm and version X.xxmM period. I know that we will have the transitional differences between patches.. we always had that.. but back in the day all that would be resolved within a week or so at the most as everyone jumped on every new patch pretty quickly.. With the JSGME getting online compatibility in CRT 2 servers has been greatly simplified so that on servers running CRT2 if people want to join it they can just act accordingly with a mouse click.. I also think that whatever happens with these mods and the future of the sim, that Diadalos Team should be the "rudder" so to speak... We have a nice thing going here with these mods and I think that as long as we don't see a lot of hacks then DT will not actively try to block them and as long as we have a viable CRT then for those who are concerned about such things there will be an option for the security that so many desire..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
I really don't understand the confusion. Ui1.2 covers all your online needs at the moment, unless you want to play 4.09m in which case you'd need a separate install.
I would like to see UI 1.8 be put to use, but it almost sounds like the final product to come out of all of this will be this merger.
The downloading is a nuisance, and i would like to have a version on my hard drive for more than couple weeks, and so far Ui1.2 is that version.
I realize there is more work to be done which takes time, but all this correlating of mods and such has not interfered with my online experience at all.
Could it be better, of course, and thats what these folks are working on.
thanks
Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to say that UI 1.2 although it is good.. it is an inferior product to either the HSFX or the UP 1.8. It loads too slowly and uses up too much of the PC's resources.. this merger with HSFX will correct that but for now since the UI is not 4.09 compatible yet.. I believe that that is part of the confusion. The sooner we can all get onto a standard of either 4.09m or 4.09mM PERIOD the better off we will be. That is IMO what the UP delivers... (I think the HSFX does too.. but I am not sure about it as I have not installed it.. ) I also think that there is a certain amount of for lack of a better term partisanship going on within the community.. Those who are used to AAA run with the UI over the UP or the HSFX.. and as I said.. as good as the UI is.. and it was a great thing in it's day.. in fact.. when I first got into mods it was a UI that I got from Guse.. before he was even affiliated with AAA.. that made the whole process much easier for me.. that UI was "unofficial" so to speak.. (and I am fully aware of the irony of an "unofficial" UI for mods that were "unofficial" in the first place.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
I really don't understand the confusion...
...I would like to see UI 1.8 be put to use
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL.. that last sentence alone tells alot about the confusion.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed... There is the UI (Unified Installer)1.1 & 1.2 from AAA and the UP(UltraPack) 1.x (Now up to 1.8) from... UltraPack.. and the HSFX from 242 Squadron (There may be others.. I know that SDAS had something out as well but they got hacked.. and I have no idea if they will be back of if they will merge with UP or HSFX) .. and quiet as it is kept.. the entire IL2 community owes a great debt to 242 Squadron because they could have been selfish and kept the tool to compact the files to themselves.. and I don't know if they shared it or if UP gave their finished product to them and they compacted it (I am pretty sure it was the latter) but the fact that most of the SFS files are compacted is one of the reason why the UP & the HSFX mods work so much better than the AAA UI. Had 242 been territorial and selfish ... we would probably be far worse off than we are now.

ElAurens
11-22-2009, 05:24 PM
As long as we can get everyone on 4.09, modded or stock, it will be a good thing.

The reproacment between the various modding groups can only benefit all of us.

Plus getting everyone on the same page now will have even greater benefits when SOW is released.

Be sure.

Bearcat99
11-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Absolutely...

MD_Titus
11-26-2009, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by idonno:
5. Too many servers with kiddie car, open pit, arcade settings. Man up and learn to do it right. Sheesh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could not agree more with #5. I read a post the other day from somebody talking about the settings they wanted on a server. They wanted full real accept for external views becuase "I need those."

Need?

Need?!

C'mon people, MAN UP! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

doesn't do to belittle one persons idea of fun in favour of your own.

idonno
11-26-2009, 05:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD_Titus:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, it works OK for me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TooCooL34
11-27-2009, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by idonno:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD_Titus:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, it works OK for me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then put it on your diary, not public board.
I'm a full switch flyer but it didn't work for me, either.

idonno
11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
It's absolutely mind boggling how thin-skinned so many of you people are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Goober1962
11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
you have choices...that's what i like about IL2. Aces high & Warbirds you really don't. you have a couple of choices arcade settings arenas & that's it! no full switch & nobody flies in the axis vs allied arenas. I'd like to see more people in the full switch servers late at night pacific time but oh well.. that's just the way it goes.

jarink
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
It's absolutely mind boggling how thin-skinned so many of you people are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

na85
11-27-2009, 01:01 PM
It's absolutely mind boggling how thin-skinned so many of you people are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

PanzerAce
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM

It's also mind boggling how some people *try* to fragment the community with inflammatory remarks that boil down to "If you don't fly it my way, you aren't flying"

idonno
11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, that's what I'm doing. I'm trying to fragment the community by attempting to convince everyone to all do the same thing.

I'm such an evil genius. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

ElAurens
11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Here's a news flash, the community is already fragmented beyond belief.

Hopefully getting the mod communities to bury the hatchet, and not in each other's heads, will be the first step in bringing us back to where we were a few years ago.