PDA

View Full Version : How to setup bombsight while flying?

MB-BOB
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm trying to learn how to use the PE2 bombsight. I've set up the user defined keys, for elevation, TAS, view angle,etc., but while I am in the bombsight view trying to enter all the values, the plane meanwhile is either pitching down and gaining speed or pitching up and losing speed, etc. In sum, as I enter values in the bombsight, the flight values constantly change.

I don't have three hands to do all this, while flying the plane as well. I can select autopilot, but then cannot make sight adjustments.

Question, is there a key (similar to autopilot)I can use to set the plane flying on the general azimuth, altitude, and speed, so I can then dive into the bombsight view and devote time to setting the sight?

I'm flying an A/C with both a pilot and bombardier, so I'd like the pilot to do his job while I play the Bombardier. I now understand why they have two humans doing these roles, LOL!

MB-BOB
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm trying to learn how to use the PE2 bombsight. I've set up the user defined keys, for elevation, TAS, view angle,etc., but while I am in the bombsight view trying to enter all the values, the plane meanwhile is either pitching down and gaining speed or pitching up and losing speed, etc. In sum, as I enter values in the bombsight, the flight values constantly change.

I don't have three hands to do all this, while flying the plane as well. I can select autopilot, but then cannot make sight adjustments.

Question, is there a key (similar to autopilot)I can use to set the plane flying on the general azimuth, altitude, and speed, so I can then dive into the bombsight view and devote time to setting the sight?

I'm flying an A/C with both a pilot and bombardier, so I'd like the pilot to do his job while I play the Bombardier. I now understand why they have two humans doing these roles, LOL!

I_KG100_Prien
08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
There is a key option in the control settings called "Level Stabilizer". This will put your plane on a wing level course, but still allows you to make trim adjustments, adjust your throttle settings, and of course manipulate the bomb sight.

Everything after that is just practice, practice, practice.

MB-BOB
08-10-2008, 06:20 PM
GREAT! THANKS! I'm off to practice, practice, practice! LOL!

TheCrux
08-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm attempting to get the hang of using the level bombsight as well, but found trying to punch in values ( without overshooting ) while attempting to fly/trim much too distracting.

What seems to help me save time, and especially pilot workload, is to enter all the info before taking off, and then make sure to approach the target at the correct altitude, speed, heading. If I'm just a little off, I may need some last minute corrections, but they're small, and easy . I have a computation program that allows me to get a TAS value from entering IAS and Alt.

ytareh
08-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Remember that this work doesnt happen typically in 60 seconds so dont be too ahrd on yourself.Give yourself LOTS of time -In reality 'bomb run' might have begun 10-20 miles or more before target