PDA

View Full Version : How to use the throttle and pitch?

Philipscdrw
03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi people.

I'm wondering what the best (or more realistic) method of using the propellor pitch control is. Previously I would just leave it at 100% unless I was in a high-speed dive, when I would reduce it to about 50%, but recently I've started leaving it at approximately the same setting as the throttle, i.e. cruising at 80% throttle and pitch. This seems to work quite effectively. In combat, I tend to use the throttle and pitch in synchronisation too.

What is the most effective method of using the pitch control?

I have a CHPro yoke with 3 throttle levers, which I assign to throttle, pitch, and wheel brake, so changing pitch is really easy.

Philipscdrw
03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi people.

I'm wondering what the best (or more realistic) method of using the propellor pitch control is. Previously I would just leave it at 100% unless I was in a high-speed dive, when I would reduce it to about 50%, but recently I've started leaving it at approximately the same setting as the throttle, i.e. cruising at 80% throttle and pitch. This seems to work quite effectively. In combat, I tend to use the throttle and pitch in synchronisation too.

What is the most effective method of using the pitch control?

I have a CHPro yoke with 3 throttle levers, which I assign to throttle, pitch, and wheel brake, so changing pitch is really easy.

vocatx
03-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I am using a CH Flight Sim Yoke. How did you map the mixture and prop controlls? The only lever I can get the HOTAS to accept is my throttle. I have flown a couple of other flight sims, and all levers worked as they should, but nothing I do seems to make FB recognize mixture and prop.

FlatSpinMan
03-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Phillipscdrw,
I have been doing the same thing these last few weeks and I think it works out pretty well. Sorry I can't give a better answer but I hope someone else can (without getting really technical).

Philipscdrw
03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vocatx:
I am using a CH Flight Sim Yoke. How did you map the mixture and prop controlls? The only lever I can get the HOTAS to accept is my throttle. I have flown a couple of other flight sims, and all levers worked as they should, but nothing I do seems to make FB recognize mixture and prop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are the second and third levers recognised by Windows control panel, or by other games (i.e. Flight Simulator)? I just selected 'propellor' and moved the appropiate lever on the yoke. And do you have CHPro drivers installed?

Sorry I can't be more specifically helpful...

ZG77_Lignite
03-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Philips, it is probably more realistic to adjust both (specifically for constant speed props). Though there is no penalty (damage) in FB/PF, haveing too much disparity between manifold pressure and RPM can cause serious engine damage. This is why 'auto' systems such as the FW190 vary both RPM and manifold pressure, simultaneously. This from a pilot friend, familiar with constant speed propellors.

Remember, for constant speed props (the most common in the sim), you develope maximum horsepower at '100%', which is actually the engine's rated climb/combat RPM.

For aircraft such as the Bf109's in 'manual mode', you must of course vary the pitch to maintain correct RPMs, which must in turn correspond with the correct manifold pressure (no setting the throttle at '110%' and running prop pitch on a slider).

The downside, detonation and other types of engine damage with regards to manifold pressure/RPM problems is not modeled in the sim, so you can (incorrectly) leave the prop pitch at '100%' (CSP) with no problems other than overheat.

ClnlSandersLite
03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
In combat, use your rpm gauge in combination with the prop pitch to keep your engine(s) at maximum rpms. If you dive or are hanging on your prop, you will need to adjust down in order to stop your engine from over reving. If you want to be realistic, also drop rpms when you drop throttle (ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS throttle THEN pitch).

In cruise, you need to set your rpms lower to conserve fuel. Try 50%/50% then adjust from there (it varies by plane). If you need to adjust up to maintain speed, move your throttle first but keep the guages fairly close to each other. If you need to slow down, move your pitch both at the same time and then adjust speed up as above keep them fairly close. I'd say maybe 15% difference as an upper limit in most of the ingame aircraft?

Also, if you're getting used to a specific plane, listen to your **** engines and learn to identify what they're doing by ear. EVERYTHING you can do to reduce your workload (checking gauges etc) in combat is worth your time to learn.

Also, if flying the merged install/fb, check the advanced pdf manual and you'll see that there are many engine ratings listed by aircraft. Most american planes have a line at max rated on the tachometer.

LeadSpitter_
03-09-2005, 11:38 PM
its different for all ac, with pp mapped to keys in 5 increments its not really that big of a difference from auto, same as tapping manual/auto for overevving for example with the 109 60 pitch and over rev 65 pitch.

With proppitch on a slider you can run 62-63 which will not cause you to overheat but 65 will.

I use auto as an example you can find all the rpms and pp auto is using with different trottle settings then in manual you can go slightly over 2-4 pp over which results in slightly better performance then auto but increments of 5 will put you over then temp limit

I do the same thing just pitch back to 85 in dives and higher altitudes. No one has really written a tutorial becuase of the ammount of work it would take and things change so much from patch to patch.