PDA

View Full Version : Bonfire of the Vanities tricked me

Spartin83
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
SO yesterday feb,18 I was excited to see Bonfire of the Vanities up for download so what did I do? I did what ever other fan of AC would do... I downloaded it. I wake up today feb,19 to only find that now there is another Bonfire of the Vanities DLC that has the 3 Hidden templars that I thought I got in the first Bonfire of the Vanities DLC that was listed. This is totally not fair. UBISOFT do I have to bye the other Bonfire of the Vanities DLC to get the 3 temples? I feel like I gotten cheated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Both DLC's should have been listed at the same time to avoid this kind of issue for people who downloaded this DLC the moment it was released. SO what do I do now UBISOFT? What are my options? I am willing to pay the difference but not repurchase the whole DLC again. and I noticed that both DLC's are the same size. Please help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Don't let me down.

Spartin83
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
SO yesterday feb,18 I was excited to see Bonfire of the Vanities up for download so what did I do? I did what ever other fan of AC would do... I downloaded it. I wake up today feb,19 to only find that now there is another Bonfire of the Vanities DLC that has the 3 Hidden templars that I thought I got in the first Bonfire of the Vanities DLC that was listed. This is totally not fair. UBISOFT do I have to bye the other Bonfire of the Vanities DLC to get the 3 temples? I feel like I gotten cheated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Both DLC's should have been listed at the same time to avoid this kind of issue for people who downloaded this DLC the moment it was released. SO what do I do now UBISOFT? What are my options? I am willing to pay the difference but not repurchase the whole DLC again. and I noticed that both DLC's are the same size. Please help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Don't let me down.

Abeonis
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
There has to be about six hundred new threads discussing this exact same thing. Don't even use the search tool, just look down the thread list for an answer.

Gefrituurd
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
so yea. in the course of typing this i got so ****ed off that i called customer support and explained to them (calmly) exactly what i had said above. either they have been having this problem all day, or i put together a solid argument, because with very little resistance they refunded my 320 points to my account (just looked and its there) and told me that i was now free to download the 560 priced content at my discretion. i must say, i feel a lot better. for others out there who have had this problem, i would encourage them to take similar action because there is a way to fix the problem. good luck.

^_^ I found this post on xbox forum.

Grandmaster_Z
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
i smell class action lawsuit

caswallawn_2k7
02-19-2010, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
i smell class action lawsuit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
don't have a leg to stand on, from what I understand people just picked it out of the new stuff highlights instead of actually looking at what was on, both went on at the same time. so it's more a problem with people not looking before they buy.

jimbo11235813
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Technically no-one has broken the law. From what I understand about buying any product, once you purchase a product, you have signed a contract (in this case electronically) and neither you nor the seller can return it unless it was sold unlawfully, broken or other obvious things (unfortunately buying something by accident doesn't count).

As the products were clearly labelled and weren't incorrectly labelled, there is no reason for sony, microsoft or Ubisoft to do anything about it. However, if you do call customer support of PSN/xbox marketplace like Auruin did, then you may be able to get your money/points back to pay for the other DLC (don't take my word for it though, but there's no harm in trying.)

Just remember next time, when purchasing something, read the description before paying for it (that goes for anything in this world, not just downloads).

Climbmaster1
02-19-2010, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:
Technically no-one has broken the law. From what I understand about buying any product, once you purchase a product, you have signed a contract (in this case electronically) and neither you nor the seller can return it unless it was sold unlawfully, broken or other obvious things (unfortunately buying something by accident doesn't count).

As the products were clearly labelled and weren't incorrectly labelled, there is no reason for sony, microsoft or Ubisoft to do anything about it. However, if you do call customer support of PSN/xbox marketplace like Auruin did, then you may be able to get your money/points back to pay for the other DLC (don't take my word for it though, but there's no harm in trying.)

Just remember next time, when purchasing something, read the description before paying for it (that goes for anything in this world, not just downloads). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do not get your points back from Xbox live unless you lie and say the content is not working as I stated yesterday. So if you call be sure to do that.

mantledarcanum
02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
No one tricked anyone. They gave the option for those who wanted just the sequence and for those who want the full shebang. Remember that mouse print and full descriptions should always be read in everything. Otherwise, later in life, you'll be stuck with magazine subscriptions you never knew about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
i smell class action lawsuit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lawyers will hand you a copy of Horizons Learning to Read if you even try to bring that up. After that, they will have a good laugh over their low-fat lattes and turkey panini.

Climbmaster1
02-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Actually there is no law broken but it is kinda tricky. If you go off the advertisement slide it takes you to the one without the maps ONLY. You do not see the other option. You buy it and then find out later. So... I guess it depends on your definition of trick. You can't sue though it's all totally legal. I actually think it's a pretty brilliant move by MSoft. They are probably making a lot of money off this one. I fell for it and I rarely ever fall for these types of things because I read. In this case there was not mention of it by Ubisoft, and you can't see any other options if you go in through the advertisement. Well played MSoft... well played.

Abeonis
02-20-2010, 07:04 AM
If somebody were to sue, the only possible chance they would have would be to convince the courts that Microsoft acted to conceal the fact that a second pack containing more features was also available. One could say that by spotlighting only the 320MP pack that had done so, but it'd be slim runnings.

Unfortunately, Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) do not cover digital or electronic products, such as the DLC packs, at least not in the UK; subsequently, that line of action cannot be used. The only chance one would have is to ring Microsoft and claim the content is defective, and just hope they get offered a refund.

SwatZeR
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok Ė so there are 2 DLC's available - one for just Seq 13 (320 points) and one for Seq 13 + the bonus Templar locations (560 points).

Of course the one on Spotlight is the one for 320 points, and I downloaded it right away. Then when I am getting ready to load my game, I see on the bottom of the screen the bonus 3 Hidden Templar levels available for 560 points. Iím thinking WTF?!

I get on the phone with the Xbox Live people in billing, tech support and even the escalation department. Every single person I talk to says there are NO REFUNDS despite me telling them that Auruin was able to get a refund so that he could buy the one with the extra 3 templar levels.

What a freaking joke this has been...why the hell didnít Xbox put the Spotlight on the one WITH the 3 Hidden Templars to BEGIN with??!

Iíve been talking with Gabrielle in the escalation department...she will not refund the 320 points, but has taken my number and said someone will get back to me within 48 hours.
The 320 points arenít that big of a deal Ė I just think the Spotlight should have had the more expensive DLC instead. That would avoid all these unhappy people who downloaded the one without the Templar levels.

Note to self Ė check the downloadable content available for the game itself and AVOID the Spotlight suggested crap.

GoldenCricket
02-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Hello all, This is my first post on these forums. I was checking to see if I was the only one who got caught in this little trap and I guess I wasn't. I also purchased the DLC of Sequence 13 without the 3 extras.

Has anyone tried to get Ubisoft/Xbox Live to offer JUST the 3 tombs for X number of Microsoft points??
That way those who got just Sequence 13 could finish their games.

(On the DNA strand, when you look at the Hidden Locations section, there are 3 litle "dead spots" until you access and finish those memories.) Kindof irritating to have them there. I had purchased the White box edition so I am actually just missing 1 tomb, the Shipyards Templar Lair.

Crundy
02-25-2010, 06:56 AM
I have the same problem. I'm not going to fuss too much about a refund but it would be nice to just pay the points difference and get the 3 hidden locations rather than paying the full whack for something I already have plus a bit extra.

Jack-Reacher
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Same here, and no its not my fault. I read the DLC for Forli and got everything when i DLed it. So when i read the bonfire DLC, it didnt say anything about no secret areas so i should just assume it doesnt for some reason?

bokeef04
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
by your logic i should have got the stuff from the CE of Heavy Rain as it never said i didn't get them, why would you assume it contained something it made no mention of? that would be like me going to apple and complaining that my Ipod touch can't make calls because they never said it couldn't

senile old coot
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
Same here, and no its not my fault. I read the DLC for Forli and got everything when i DLed it. So when i read the bonfire DLC, it didnt say anything about no secret areas so i should just assume it doesnt for some reason? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So much like your purchase of the battle of forli DLC, you were given everything you were told you were to be given when purchasing the bonfire DLC. so really you are at fault to some extent for misinterpretting the information.

Crundy
02-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Can Ubisoft add the secret locations as an add-on by themselves for 240 points?

OzDavis
02-26-2010, 05:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crundy:
Can Ubisoft add the secret locations as an add-on by themselves for 240 points? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Or even offer them individually for 100 points each?

That way the people who didn't check the fine print can still get them without having to shell out 560 points and the folks who have one or two of them already could pick up the 320 point Bonfire DLC and pick up the one(s) they are missing individually and save themselves a few points.

Or is that just too sensible to squeeze through the bureacracy of the Microsoft corporate machine?

HeeroHammer
02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OzDavis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crundy:
Can Ubisoft add the secret locations as an add-on by themselves for 240 points? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Or even offer them individually for 100 points each?

That way the people who didn't check the fine print can still get them without having to shell out 560 points and the folks who have one or two of them already could pick up the 320 point Bonfire DLC and pick up the one(s) they are missing individually and save themselves a few points.

Or is that just too sensible to squeeze through the bureacracy of the Microsoft corporate machine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be the ideal situation, but I doubt it's going to happen. As a White Edition owner it kind of sucks that I'll have to pay for the 2 maps I already have to get the third one I don't.

And I won't be able to get 100% Sync until I do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

viberunner
03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:
As the products were clearly labelled </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the products were CLEARLY labelled there wouldn't have been so many people caught-out by it, would there?

I knew of it because I happened to read a forum before hand, so I got the Templar version.

If I had not happened to read the forums, I would have had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER the Templar version existed because the cheap-version was being promoted by Xbox Live without mention of a bigger version.

This has been an unmitigated disaster. Never before have I had to check through pages of DLC to see if the DLC promotion is a freaking money-trap. Now I will have to - thanks to Ubisoft.

I mean, I'm someone who managed to buy the full version, and am very happy with it (much better than the terrible first DLC), and even I can fully understand and sympathise with the people who feel ripped-off.

The development branch have made and excellent game with a deservedly great reputation, and the publishing branch are doing their best to sully that hard-earned reputation.

bokeef04
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by viberunner:
As the products were clearly labelled </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the products were CLEARLY labelled there wouldn't have been so many people caught-out by it, would there?

I knew of it because I happened to read a forum before hand, so I got the Templar version.

If I had not happened to read the forums, I would have had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER the Templar version existed because the cheap-version was being promoted by Xbox Live without mention of a bigger version.

This has been an unmitigated disaster. Never before have I had to check through pages of DLC to see if the DLC promotion is a freaking money-trap. Now I will have to - thanks to Ubisoft.

I mean, I'm someone who managed to buy the full version, and am very happy with it (much better than the terrible first DLC), and even I can fully understand and sympathise with the people who feel ripped-off.

The development branch have made and excellent game with a deservedly great reputation, and the publishing branch are doing their best to sully that hard-earned reputation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when will people learn that Marketplace and PSN are not controlled by Ubi, they are controlled by Microsoft and Sony respectively, Ubisoft have no more control over how their product goes up then a manufacturer does in a shop

also why do people think they are going to get things that aren't listed as included? in most cases if it's not listed as included, it's not

I'm surprised you all aren't complaining that the battle of Forli or the complete game wasn't included as it never said that it wasn't

and i believe the DLC was marked as

Bonfire of the Vanities

Bonfire of the Vanities and 3 bonus templar maps(or something similar)

don't think you can get much more clear then that

Crundy
03-02-2010, 02:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
when will people learn that Marketplace and PSN are not controlled by Ubi, they are controlled by Microsoft and Sony respectively, Ubisoft have no more control over how their product goes up then a manufacturer does in a shop
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We never said they did. We're just slightly annoyed at the fact that we missed out on extra content which is now only available for almost double what we already paid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
also why do people think they are going to get things that aren't listed as included? in most cases if it's not listed as included, it's not
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell are you talking about? We didn't know about the secret locations in the first place because they weren't mentioned. We found out about them after paying for the cut-down DLC.

Bonfire of the Vanities

don't think you can get much more clear then that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're missing the point. Most of us turned on our xbox to see "New content: AC2 Bonfire of the Vanities add-on" and so we clicked it and bought it without realising there were two versions of it, and the featured one was the cut-down version.

None of us are blaming Ubisoft, we would just like them to help out by releasing the missing content as a separate download for the users who were overenthusiastic and bought the DLC before checking if there was a more fully featured one. Rest assured we'll check in the future!

NanoKitty
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We never said they did. We're just slightly annoyed at the fact that we missed out on extra content which is now only available for almost double what we already paid.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell are you talking about? We didn't know about the secret locations in the first place because they weren't mentioned. We found out about them after paying for the cut-down DLC.

Bonfire of the Vanities

You're missing the point. Most of us turned on our xbox to see "New content: AC2 Bonfire of the Vanities add-on" and so we clicked it and bought it without realising there were two versions of it, and the featured one was the cut-down version.

None of us are blaming Ubisoft, we would just like them to help out by releasing the missing content as a separate download for the users who were overenthusiastic and bought the DLC before checking if there was a more fully featured one. Rest assured we'll check in the future! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree here. I was eagerly awaiting the release of Bonfire -- and I had no idea there were two versions. If I had known there was a bigger version, I would have read the content more fully. As it was, I thought there was only one available version, and so I bought the advertised (smaller) one - not realizing I missed out until I read about it later. All I want is to be able to download the Templair lairs separately.

x.Jago.x
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
They should be ashamed for downloadable content offered for sale and not offer it free, and these already part of the same game, part of the main story, THIEVES.

And it makes me sad that people buy this content and support this. For the next before buying a game I will see it is complete, not lacking anything as I already paid.

Crundy
03-02-2010, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x.Jago.x:
They should be ashamed for downloadable content offered for sale and not offer it free, and these already part of the same game, part of the main story, THIEVES. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mind paying a few quid for extra content. If there wasn't any incentive to write the additional content after releasing the main game then developers wouldn't bother.

bokeef04
03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bonfire of the Vanities

None of us are blaming Ubisoft, we would just like them to help out by releasing the missing content as a separate download for the users who were overenthusiastic and bought the DLC before checking if there was a more fully featured one. Rest assured we'll check in the future! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you'd read my post fully, including what i quoted, you'll see it included

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The development branch have made and excellent game with a deservedly great reputation, and the publishing branch are doing their best to sully that hard-earned reputation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds to me like they are blaming Ubisoft, also most of you didn't take the time to check, before i go and pre-order a game i check with both local game stores and check online to see if there are any CE because the stores don't tell you, when you preorder they don't ask if you want a CE or not, you have to tell them. also it was listed on the forum and on the Ubi site that there was going to be two seperate BotV DLC, and who knows where else, if your not informed it's your own fault.

Crundy do you think it would work if i go and preorder a game at Ebgames then complain when i recieve it and demand they give me the CE stuff on the basis they never told me there was a CE?

Crundy
03-02-2010, 04:47 PM
sounds to me like they are blaming Ubisoft, also most of you didn't take the time to check, before i go and pre-order a game i check with both local game stores and check online to see if there are any CE because the stores don't tell you, when you preorder they don't ask if you want a CE or not, you have to tell them. also it was listed on the forum and on the Ubi site that there was going to be two seperate BotV DLC, and who knows where else, if your not informed it's your own fault.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK firstly, judging by your grammar skills I'm preuming you're a 12 year old who has an obsession with computer games and will incessantly check the official pages, blogs, and tips sites for their favorite games to see what the status is of the latest updates. A lot of us have jobs and families and the only practical contact we get with the latest updates of our games is through the latest releases pages on our games consoles.

Congratulations to you for not falling into the trap. Coming here and acting all high and mightly about it solves nothing. I'm not a n00b moron saying "OMFG!!!111 UBEHSOFT CONNEND MEH OUT OF MY MONNII!!! i WANT IT BACK LOL". All I'm saying is that due to Microsoft announcing only the cut-down version of the DLC on the homepage, a lot of people downloaded it without thinking "Hmm, maybe there's a better version of this update with extra stuff". Why would we?

Crundy do you think it would work if i go and preorder a game at Ebgames then complain when i recieve it and demand they give me the CE stuff on the basis they never told me there was a CE? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please explain to me where I suggested what you are accusing me of. Every post you have made in this thread has been a string of nonsense, grammatical errors and non sequiturs. If you have nothing useful to contribute to the thread then please naff off and have fun with your extra 3 DLC tombs.

bokeef04
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
You claim no-one is blaming Ubisoft despite me quoting viberunning saying he would now have to check the forums for DLC info thanks to Ubisoft.
Now you even said yourself Ubisoft had nothing to do with it, so why didn't he say thanks to Microsoft/Sony?

Nice calling me 12, so what if i am, does that naturally make my opinion inconsequential, and you all the better for arguing with a 12 year old?

I could go into you having a go at the DRM because your Xbox doesn't have a stable internet connection, but that would involve too much hassle trying to explain to you that the DRM is for PC games only not console games.

I did have fun with the 3 extra tombs while playing through the game, also you are asking for the 3 maps seperate because they didn't come with the pack you downloaded, so doesn't that entitle me to the CE stuff if they never actually tell me or advertise in store that there is a CE for that game?

Crundy
03-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Alright I'll rephrase that. I'm not blaming Ubisoft for what happened, but would like to politely ask them if they could release the missing content for the cost difference between the two packages.

What has the DRM thread got to do with this? I initially assumed the DRM was for all platforms, but as it is only for the PC then I'm not bothered and have ducked out of that thread.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Varenis
03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
wasnt there a code for free dlc? not sure though

spincr
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't think there was or is any. But just to perhaps see this go on ON topic, i was one of the people that downloaded the smaller package, to be honest i didn't read or know about the one with 3 lairs included, because that was (atleast on xbox live), not in the bar from AC 2, a bar which included video's and other stuff from AC 2, they should've put the bigger one atleast IN there instead of leaving it out of the spotlight, because i and apperantly way more people got somewhat trapped in it, simple solution (as mentioned before), make the 3 lairs downloadable for the same price - cost of dlc without the maps.