PDA

View Full Version : This is a great sim

VF2_Tim
09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
It truly is a great sim.

Except when it freezes up for 2 minutes when flying online.

This happens at least once during every online session. I normally just take it in stride and bite my tongue.

However, when I've just spent 10 minutes or more getting to altitude and then the sim freezes up for two minutes and crashes me, I feel compelled to come to the forum and complain.

The extra insult is that the game appears to be running. Just not refreshing the screen. I sit there like an idiot praying for it to snap to life. But no, the engine drones on while I stare at a single frame. Then two minutes later when my plane crashes the sim decides it is okay to catch up and dutifully displays the smoking hole that my plane has become. I simply can not believe that the sim can't realize that it is no longer displaying frames and right itself.

Sorry to gnaw at the same old bone boys, but this sim is broken and needs to be fixed. If you are fortunate enough to have a kick butt system or lucky enough to have one that doesn't experience these issues, then good for you. But someone who has a computer that meets the requirements should have a sim that works.

Just to cut as many responders off as I can, my system is well within the requirements for the game. So please don't jump in here and tell me about how my card sucks. It isn't top of the line but, again, it meets the requirements.

My hookup is DSL.

I keep all settings on the low end and in some cases I leave them at minimum.

I run spyware and adware programs religiously.

So, before you say so, it is NOT my system. It is a problem with the sim that should be fixed.

VF2_Tim
09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
It truly is a great sim.

Except when it freezes up for 2 minutes when flying online.

This happens at least once during every online session. I normally just take it in stride and bite my tongue.

However, when I've just spent 10 minutes or more getting to altitude and then the sim freezes up for two minutes and crashes me, I feel compelled to come to the forum and complain.

The extra insult is that the game appears to be running. Just not refreshing the screen. I sit there like an idiot praying for it to snap to life. But no, the engine drones on while I stare at a single frame. Then two minutes later when my plane crashes the sim decides it is okay to catch up and dutifully displays the smoking hole that my plane has become. I simply can not believe that the sim can't realize that it is no longer displaying frames and right itself.

Sorry to gnaw at the same old bone boys, but this sim is broken and needs to be fixed. If you are fortunate enough to have a kick butt system or lucky enough to have one that doesn't experience these issues, then good for you. But someone who has a computer that meets the requirements should have a sim that works.

Just to cut as many responders off as I can, my system is well within the requirements for the game. So please don't jump in here and tell me about how my card sucks. It isn't top of the line but, again, it meets the requirements.

My hookup is DSL.

I keep all settings on the low end and in some cases I leave them at minimum.

I run spyware and adware programs religiously.

So, before you say so, it is NOT my system. It is a problem with the sim that should be fixed.

BaldieJr
09-23-2005, 04:12 PM
My system never does what you describe. I have lots of spyware and junk because i'm a collector.

I have 1 gb of ram.

danjama
09-23-2005, 04:31 PM
I know exactly what Tim is talking about! I also believe its a problem with the game engine.However, i dnt mind it anymore caus i just made a new PC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

vocatx
09-23-2005, 05:15 PM
You might want to post this in "Community Help". I fly on-line almost nightly and the longest freezes I have ever seen might last ten seconds. Sounds like you have something else going on here. Just because you have a computer problem doesn't mean there is something wrong with the program. Most problems like this can be traced back to hardware or computer settings.

LeadSpitter_
09-23-2005, 05:16 PM
It would be nice with more online players or at least ai in scripted dogfight servers to keep things a bit different and more interesting.

danjama
09-23-2005, 05:22 PM
lol look at that tactical change in subject by leadspitter http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

SeperateCheck
09-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Yeah I love this game. But solely play it off line now. Even on a kick *** system I still could not get it to run without stutters, freezes. I been playing the game for a couple of years now am still figuring out ways to get it to run better.

The most painful issues ARE online.

Because of the games' realism, it does take a little bit to get your F4F up to altitude. Of course because of the PROBLEMS faced, it makes it oh so much more satisfying when u do score. I just avoid the major problems and play offline. Sucks flying solo, but I really want to try playing on a LAN to see if I face the same issues and problems I've always had when playing this game online.

Last time I tried playing online was after the latest uber patch 4.01 and everyone told me to get 1g of RAM. I dunno, the hardware issues are kind of worn out and u really do need a good system to run this game.

Oh well I got a new job now and should make enough to upgrade my machine. This game is what is making me do upgrade my machine, but I think it ll be worth it. And after that I just gotta save up for some fancy rudder pedals...nah, I should just make my own. Hehe. Being poor sucks.

I waited years for some kind of "combo pack" for this game because I knew it would not run good on the machines I played on. I used to play the demo a lot and kind of took the hint from watching my computer game turn into a slide show. When I got the gold pack last year I was so excited, but quickly found out there is a TON of options to tweak and fiddle with just for making this game work. I have to admit, my computer is set up solely to run this flight simulator. And WoW. that s all I play right now. hehe.

But I agree with u VF2_Tim, there is a better online game. And IL-2 4.02 is not it, I bet u anything there will STILL be things.

Shooting guns...the game wants to stutter a lot of times..especially when u fire ur first shots. LATENCY. I know latency is affected by everyone elses settings or some such bull schwah...and a lot of online servers try to "fix" the latency issues by kicking high ping players...blah blah..it doesn t work. Still the latency, even on high speed connections. Oh well..the game probably needs to be played on a LAN I am thinking. If u want a "flawless" experience, I don t know. I hardly know anyone that plays this game...no one actually. Just these forums. I used to be in an online squadron, but the online issues just drove me crazy.

So I play offline now. Such a great game. I want to play online.

Seperatecheck.

rnzoli
09-24-2005, 08:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF2_Tim:
This happens at least once during every online session. I normally just take it in stride and bite my tongue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be truly annoying. I have seen somewhat similar freezes when:
- graphic card cannot handle nearby explosion
- anti-virus starts refreshing its database.

You handled item #1. Try looking at item #2. Turn off everything running in the background and see if it makes any difference.

Additional questions that can help locating your problem:
- it is happenning always for 2 minutes?
- on every server, and every map, or just some?
- during this time, is there network or harddisk activity going on?