PDA

View Full Version : How to Zveno?

Objektskaya
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
It's really neat that Il-2 models the "Zveno" parasite/mothership setup with the I-16 and TB-3, respectively, but how does one use it effectively? I haven't seen a guide to doing the Zveno thing from the I-16's point of view. Anyone have tips? In particular, how do you re-attach to the mothership after dropping your bombs? So far I've found it impossible to rendezvous with the mothership after unhooking.

Altitudes, throttle settings, and airspeeds would be helpful. I'm sure the real-life Zveno crews worked out certain standard procedures that helped them all get home alive, but unfortunately there is nothing published, as far as I know, detailing same.

Objektskaya
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
It's really neat that Il-2 models the "Zveno" parasite/mothership setup with the I-16 and TB-3, respectively, but how does one use it effectively? I haven't seen a guide to doing the Zveno thing from the I-16's point of view. Anyone have tips? In particular, how do you re-attach to the mothership after dropping your bombs? So far I've found it impossible to rendezvous with the mothership after unhooking.

Altitudes, throttle settings, and airspeeds would be helpful. I'm sure the real-life Zveno crews worked out certain standard procedures that helped them all get home alive, but unfortunately there is nothing published, as far as I know, detailing same.

stugumby
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi, sorry but you cant reattach yourself in flight, you can taxi up on the ground and hit E and if under the wing attach yourself in a cooperative session. Best way is to start mission already attached, this is done by setting your tb-3 mother ship to take off linked to airfield then its normfly waypoints, set yourself as norm fly in I-16spb and link yourself using target link to your mother ship, remember if you want 4 bombers you must set it 4 bombers but you have to attach in pairs so its best 2 mothers 4 kids etc. You can select which I-16spb you want to be in.

I made several missions and put them on mission4today, give them a try and open them up in full mission builder if my above is semi confusing. I found it best to drop fighters 1-2 map squares from target, you can then set a gatk waypoint for both mother ships and dropped fighters, your fighters will drop as set at last normfly way point before your mother ships gatk point. as far as fuel etc its in the read me somewhat but it has been a while. good luck and have fun..

Objektskaya
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the SPB concept involved reattaching the "parasite" aircraft to the TB-3 mothership as well, for the return trip. But, since the I-16s have a full fuel load when released from the TB-3, and drop the heavy bomb load soon thereafter, I suppose getting home on their own isn't a problem.

Where can I find some tips on bombing with the I-16? So far I've only played the SPB mission included with IL-2:1946, in which you are dropped off near and drop very very large bombs on some oil tankers. I've watched the autopilot do it, but cannot figure out how to drop the bombs accurately. Is the autopilot simply cheating, or is there some way to accurately level-bomb with the I-16? I don't see a bombsight anywhere.

general_kalle
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
not the I-16 especially but for fighterbombers in general i useually go into a dive say a 50 degrees or so, a little over 45 degrees. then i aim slightly above the intended target and drop.
takes a little pratice to get the feeling. just remember that slightly below the crosshair is where you'r bombs will fall.

alternatively you can do skip bombing against ships.

Objektskaya
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Please elaborate on skip bombing in Il-2. I know this was used in reality - for instance, the Dam Busters used this technique in Germany - but I didn't know it was applicable in Il-2 as well.

na85
04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Start at altitude, then go into a steep dive to pick up speed. (Make sure bomb delay is set to 0)

Level out just above the waves.

Release bomb at the correct distance to the ship (takes practice to figure this out. It's pretty close)

Pull up and use your accumulated speed to get out of the blast radius.

Profit.

AnaK774
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh, bombs work nowadays even with short delay against ships...
I use 1.5 secs for most bombing, only using special munitions like AB canisters or big bombs 1000kg+ in low altitude releases need longer delay