PDA

View Full Version : Good Aircraft For Learning C.E.M.?

Breeze147
09-24-2004, 10:53 AM
What is a good aircraft on which to learn Complex Engine Management?

Breeze147
09-24-2004, 10:53 AM
What is a good aircraft on which to learn Complex Engine Management?

BaldieJr
09-24-2004, 10:57 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Probably the IL2. They're all fine for learning really, I chose il2 because its a mellow flier... easier to concentrate on CEM.</span>

SlickStick
09-24-2004, 12:14 PM
The way I learned CEM, is to experiment at various altitudes. Things like 2nd stage superchargers and fuel mix, become important at the higher altitudes.

Listening to the plane's engine RPMs is extremely important. For example, if you hit 2nd stage of supercharger on planes that have it, too soon, the RPMs drop off and the power dies off.

Most of your critical CEM comes at altitudes higher than 3000m. That's when you need to start lowering fuel mix, hit next supercharger stage...etc to keep the performance up in most planes.

Prop pitch is really the only CEM setting that is important at low altitudes and especially when diving. LW birds can gain some KM/H in Manual mode as opposed to Auto mode, but you have to be careful there. Manual mode can burn-out a LW engine, in some planes, extremely quickly.

SlickStick
09-24-2004, 12:19 PM
As for planes, I recommend starting with the LA-7, which has prop pitch, fuel mixture and 2nd stage supercharger available in CEM.

Take-off at 100% pitch and climb to 5000m. You'll start to "feel" the point that you need the 2nd stage supercharger and that smoke pouring out of the exhaust ports will indicate when it's time to lower fuel mixture. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As you get to cruising speeds, lowering prop pitch will reduce engine strain and RPMs, while maintaing speed in most cases.

AFJ_rsm
09-24-2004, 03:32 PM
well i learned with the 109 k4 and never regretted it

LStarosta
09-24-2004, 08:46 PM
IL2 is a bad choice, IMO, because of its restriction to low altitudes.

Tully__
09-24-2004, 08:51 PM
I'd suggest learning in the plane you intend to use C.E.M.. The characteristics vary so much from plane to plane and different propellor modes / WEP modes / radiator modes etc. mean that what you learn on one may be of little use on another.

I'd further add that you don't have to learn all of it at once. You could start with mixture, learning how it affects performance at various altitudes, then add in supercharger, prop pitch, radiator etc as you get comfortable. Initially you'll be at a slight disadvantage not using all the options (low supercharger at high altitude = reduced high alt performance etc..) but at least you'll be learning the aircraft you intend to fly...