PDA

View Full Version : How do you set the TD-3's Bombsight???????

AStotzer
12-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Ok, I've watched the TD-3 'Bombing' tutorial TWICE now. But when I fly and try to set the Sight Altitude and Velocity the keys don't do anything!

Yes, I do have the Sight Altitude and Velocity keys mapped to my keyboard. I have them mapped to Alt - [ and ] for Altitude, and Ctrl - [ and ] for Velocity. I've tried bombing 3 times now, and only one time, after pressing the keys for about 30 seconds, they finally began to work when I was already OVER the target. That was too late. And, yes, I did press Shift - F1 to look through the bombsight to do all of this.

I'm guessing that there are some more restrictions on how these settings work. Do I have to be above or below a certain altitude?? (In the tutorial I think it said the best altitude was 1500 meters.) Or a certain speed? Or do I 'have' to have maintained a constant altitude and speed for a period of time????

Why don't these key work????? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

AStotzer
12-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Ok, I've watched the TD-3 'Bombing' tutorial TWICE now. But when I fly and try to set the Sight Altitude and Velocity the keys don't do anything!

Yes, I do have the Sight Altitude and Velocity keys mapped to my keyboard. I have them mapped to Alt - [ and ] for Altitude, and Ctrl - [ and ] for Velocity. I've tried bombing 3 times now, and only one time, after pressing the keys for about 30 seconds, they finally began to work when I was already OVER the target. That was too late. And, yes, I did press Shift - F1 to look through the bombsight to do all of this.

I'm guessing that there are some more restrictions on how these settings work. Do I have to be above or below a certain altitude?? (In the tutorial I think it said the best altitude was 1500 meters.) Or a certain speed? Or do I 'have' to have maintained a constant altitude and speed for a period of time????

Why don't these key work????? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

antifreeze
12-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Shift-F1? Isn't that the default for no-cockpit view?
You should be using the 'gunsight view' key. When in a bombardier position, the gunsight key acts as the bombsight key.

Also, if the orange numbers/markings aren't showing up around the edge of the sight, it is probably because you're not holding the plane level for long enough. If you hold her steady for a good few seconds, the markings will appear. Something to do with a gyro I think. Using the 'auto-leveller' key is the easiest way to hold her on course.

Note that you can set the bombsight's altitude and TAS (to correspond with the aircraft) from the pilot's position if you want. That way you have less to do when you finally go into the bombardier's position. But if you do it looking through the bombsight, you should see orange number dials spinning round, and at some point you should see a crosshair moving through the centre of the sight.

Remember that in an HE111 you need to bind an 'auto-track' key, and when you set the velocity the HE111 sight angles up or down. But in a TB-3 there is no auto-tracking and the sight does not move. You just release the bombs manually when the target is in your crosshair. Your altitude and velocity determine how far up the sight the crosshair will be. For a guide, at 150kmph the crosshair will show between 550m and 3000m altitude.

VF51_Flatspin
12-13-2004, 10:01 PM
You don't actually have to be in the bombardier's position to set the bombsight.

All I can suggest is try mapping it to a single key instead of a combination of keys. I have all my bomb commands set to 1-9 on the keyboard, they work like a charm.