PDA

View Full Version : Landing the Corsair on a carrier, need help.

wags94
08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello, I'm reletively new to Il-2 and Pacific Fighter. I finally got carrier landings down with the Hellcat and the dauntless, but when it comes to the corsair I can't land worth crap. Has anybody else had any issus when landing the Corsair, or is their a different way of landing it compared to the rest of the aircraft??

wags94
08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello, I'm reletively new to Il-2 and Pacific Fighter. I finally got carrier landings down with the Hellcat and the dauntless, but when it comes to the corsair I can't land worth crap. Has anybody else had any issus when landing the Corsair, or is their a different way of landing it compared to the rest of the aircraft??

jdigris001
08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
The corsair had quite a reputation for being dificult to land, and the poms developed a diferent approach for landing the corsair. The came in a arc from the left rather than straight in, mainly for visibility and torque control. Theres a lot of video of it on ww2 docos

heres a utube of a IL21946 corsair landing (NOT mine, not sure who did it to give them credit for it but the utube user name is 8311XHT )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uJFtL63RLI

wags94
08-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Okay thank you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Since were on the corsair, can anybody tell me the ups and downs (pros and cons) of the corsair?

Blindman-
08-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Here is the advice that I give in my carrier landing mission for Corsairs:

To launch:
Put down full flaps, lock tail wheel, chocks away, stand on brakes while going full throttle, release brakes as soon as nose starts to fall.

When just at end of deck raise nose just a bit, too much might stall you. Raise gear ASAP if having trouble launching.

To practice landing:
As soon as you have successfully launched quickly get to 100+m and 200+kph, if you put up flaps or wheels put them down, reduce throttle to 30-40% (37% is just enough to stay flying with flaps and wheels down with the corsair), aim at carrier wake while dropping in altitude to about 40 meters (you should now be about 1 km behind the carrier), raise nose to match conning tower while coming in (you should be just a bit to the right of center with deck, this helps avoid hitting the conning tower), DROP ARRESTING HOOK, you should now be coming in at about 30 meters and 180 kph or so (if you get below 18 meters you will have to hit the gas and go around), when you are just about at the deck be at about 20 meters and 170 kph (going under 170kph with the Corsair is dangerous that low in altitude), cut throttle and pull nose up to catch the deck with hook (don't pull up too steeply). And remember that throttle is used to control altitude at low speeds, pulling back on the elevators will slow you down.

Said mission is part of the "Two Minutes To Action Training Missions lvls:1-6 (Beginner-Intermediate)", which includes 3 difficultys of landing (3 carrier speeds) to chose from. Found at the link in my signature.

wags94
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Dude, thanks! Everything is so much easier now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif but, when dogfighting, I'm still having issues with stalling and such. what is the best speed to be dogfighting with in the Corsair?

RAF_OldBuzzard
08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
If you mean turn fighting in a Corsair...ya don't if at all possible. You use it's speed to B&Z.

I'n not sure about the IL2 version, but the best turn speed for the Corsair is right around 250 MPH. If you let a Corsair get below about 200 MPH in combat, it's going to get ugly.

Blindman-
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I too would advise you to keep above 250 kph, and faster is better; but I would guess that reducing the sensitivity of your joystick would be the best thing to do. Many folks set the ingame settings for their sensitivity, I set my joystick's. Unless you have a Logitech 3D Pro giving you my settings wouldn't help.

Good luck.

M2morris
08-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Here's how I do it.
Everyone has their own way of doing things, but this the method I have came up with and I decided to stick with it:

I usually fly directly over the carrier at about 200 meters at about 300 kph and 90* off with my right wing tip pointing in the direction of the ship's travel.

I open the canopy and look down at the deck as I fly over to make sure it is clear(just a good habit).

Then I reduce power and after about 7 seconds I begin a gradual turn to the left and start banking around, looking back at the ship to keep my orientation.

As I am in the down-wind direction I start lowering flaps, lower gear and hook.

As I bank around to the ship I end up with the deck of the ship in sight over the left side of the F4U cowling. If you can close the cowl flaps do it to improve visibity.

I never drop below 30 meters or drop speed to below 140 kph. It can get very mushy, or maybe even stall.

I cut power and stall onto the deck as I cross over the edge, pulling back on the stick as my wheels touch so I can grab a cable.

Well, that's what works for me.

Good luck.

I have 10 or 12 Corsair carrier landings in my youtube collection if you want to check them out.( mostly dead-stick landings tho.)
Here's one landing on the Casablanca( these small carriers are hard.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MplgpiFLem0&feature=related

KrashanTopolova
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
You'll be successful in the Corsair 95% of the time if you follow these 2 simple rules:

to land: make sure the hook is down

to dogfight: make sure the hook is up

WTE_Galway
08-24-2008, 11:26 PM
so pottering along behind the carrier at sea level and then popping up at the last minute to flop onto the deck isn't a recommended procedure ?

Stingray333
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
so pottering along behind the carrier at sea level and then popping up at the last minute to flop onto the deck isn't a recommended procedure ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4K-cUEHpuo

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Always keep this in mind when landing on a carrier: Your throttle controls the elevation. Your pitch/elevators controls your speed.

S!

DD_crash
08-25-2008, 05:46 AM
try this site (http://www.darts-page.com/) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

mortoma
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I personally don't think the real life method of coming in a left hand arcing turn is necessary at all. I fly straight in with the Corsair and find it relatively easy. I also take advantage the "toggle seat position" command. If you go into "Controls" you can assign a key command to this and I think you have to because it's not assigned a key or key combination by default. Mine is set to Ctrl Q.

Of course you must also open the canopy first in order to raise your seat height to begin with.
And of course you must assign a command for that too in the Controls.

Once you successfully use the seat raising command you'll find that the Corsair is much easier to land becasue you can see much better voer the nose.

mortoma
08-25-2008, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blindman-:

To launch:
Put down full flaps, lock tail wheel, chocks away, stand on brakes while going full throttle, release brakes as soon as nose starts to fall.

When just at end of deck raise nose just a bit, too much might stall you. Raise gear ASAP if having trouble launching.

To practice landing:
As soon as you have successfully launched quickly get to 100+m and 200+kph, if you put up flaps or wheels put them down, reduce throttle to 30-40% (37% is just enough to stay flying with flaps and wheels down with the corsair), aim at carrier wake while dropping in altitude to about 40 meters (you should now be about 1 km behind the carrier), raise nose to match conning tower while coming in (you should be just a bit to the right of center with deck, this helps avoid hitting the conning tower), DROP ARRESTING HOOK, you should now be coming in at about 30 meters and 180 kph or so (if you get below 18 meters you will have to hit the gas and go around), when you are just about at the deck be at about 20 meters and 170 kph (going under 170kph with the Corsair is dangerous that low in altitude), cut throttle and pull nose up to catch the deck with hook (don't pull up too steeply). And remember that throttle is used to control altitude at low speeds, pulling back on the elevators will slow you down.

Said mission is part of the "Two Minutes To Action Training Missions lvls:1-6 (Beginner-Intermediate)", which includes 3 difficultys of landing (3 carrier speeds) to chose from. Found at the link in my signature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, sounds like you use a shallow approach! Of course if it works for you that's all that matters. But are you using the command to raise your seat height? It doesn't sound like it. Well, if you can get her down flying like that it's commendable. But it almost sounds like you're making an easy landing quite a task indeed. Perhaps your name "Blindman" in this case is appropriate since you land almost blind. I am not intending this to be offensive, more in jest than anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mortoma
08-25-2008, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
Here's how I do it.
Everyone has their own way of doing things, but this the method I have came up with and I decided to stick with it:

I usually fly directly over the carrier at about 200 meters at about 300 kph and 90* off with my right wing tip pointing in the direction of the ship's travel.

I open the canopy and look down at the deck as I fly over to make sure it is clear(just a good habit).

Then I reduce power and after about 7 seconds I begin a gradual turn to the left and start banking around, looking back at the ship to keep my orientation.

As I bank around to the ship I end up with the deck of the ship in sight over the left side of the F4U cowling. If you can close the cowl flaps do it to improve visibity.

I never drop below 30 meters or drop speed to below 140 kph. It can get very mushy, or maybe even stall.

I cut power and stall onto the deck as I cross over the edge, pulling back on the stick as my wheels touch so I can grab a cable.

Good luck.

I have 10 or 12 Corsair carrier landings in my youtube collection if you want to check them out.( mostly dead-stick landings tho.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MplgpiFLem0&feature=related </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's cool that some of you guys land the corsair like they landed the real bird. But I have tried it that way and find the normal, straight in approach much easier. The Sair is really not all that fussy of a bird to land like the real thing apparently was. It's no challenge to land the regular way. Not to me anyway.

Stingray333
08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
Here's how I do it.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MplgpiFLem0&feature=related </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's cool that some of you guys land the corsair like they landed the real bird. But I have tried it that way and find the normal, straight in approach much easier. The Sair is really not all that fussy of a bird to land like the real thing apparently was. It's no challenge to land the regular way. Not to me anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find the Corsair method of carrier landing much easier in every plane, for example the SBD without the seat adjust and the gunsight right in the middle of your view, it is difficult to see the carrier on the last bit of the approach. To each his own.

M2morris
08-25-2008, 11:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I personally don't think the real life method of coming in a left hand arcing turn is necessary at all. I fly straight in with the Corsair and find it relatively easy. I also take advantage the "toggle seat position" command. If you go into "Controls" you can assign a key command to this and I think you have to because it's not assigned a key or key combination by default. Mine is set to Ctrl Q.

Of course you must also open the canopy first in order to raise your seat height to begin with.
And of course you must assign a command for that too in the Controls.

Once you successfully use the seat raising command you'll find that the Corsair is much easier to land becasue you can see much better voer the nose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, thats what I'm gonna try.
Thanks mortoma.
I've never have been able to raise the seat like you say.

If I was flying the real sair I think I would dang near be standing up when landing to get good visibilty with some pillows under my a$$.
But I'm gonna try that seat raising and strait fly-in.

Blindman-
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blindman-:

To launch:

To practice landing:

Said mission is part of the "Two Minutes To Action Training Missions lvls:1-6 (Beginner-Intermediate)", which includes 3 difficultys of landing (3 carrier speeds) to chose from. Found at the link in my signature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, sounds like you use a shallow approach! Of course if it works for you that's all that matters. But are you using the command to raise your seat height? It doesn't sound like it. Well, if you can get her down flying like that it's commendable. But it almost sounds like you're making an easy landing quite a task indeed. Perhaps your name "Blindman" in this case is appropriate since you land almost blind. I am not intending this to be offensive, more in jest than anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried the gradual turn and raising the seat and I find that straight on with regular seat works fine. I only loose sight of the deck for a short bit, and I guess that I have done it enough that it doesn't bother me. I used to hit the deck front every once in a while, but not for a long time now. I think raising the seat is good advice, I just don't do it myself and don't give it as advice because if you rely on it and forget your going to be in trouble (but mostly because I forget about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

KrashanTopolova
08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
A turn landing has the advantages of firstly keeping the deck threshold in view all the time (the long nose does not get in the way - you need not raise the seat then) and secondly maintaining better control of sinking altitude on final due to the higher propensity for an aircraft to up the climb rate in a turn.
From relevant footage, fast aircraft like the Corsair and later on the early jets most often used this curving final approach technique.

Concerning the seat...what if it is raining on final approach?...I don't like to have the cockpit open just to have a higher seat view when its raining. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif
Besides, there is a different judgement required between the two views. When I first started raising the seat when PF came out I invariably did not control the landing in the same manner as when down in the cockpit in normal view and frequently crashed. It took many flights to get used to the difference.

As for landing its useful to remember that a longer-nosed aircraft has a higher nose-up attitude when flaring out for a 3 point landing. Therefore keep your nose up; your eyes open and your ears dry.

About 'dogfighting', the corsair is not like Japanese fighters; they <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">were</span> designed to dogfight. The Corsair can tangle with them of course; just remember that it has such thrust that it can happily use combat flaps to enhance its manouvring better than other types and it has the power to dictate the fight (when to engage and when to disengage and break off the fight and run).