PDA

View Full Version : A noob at his wit's end; please help!

TeufelHund84
06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Alright, I love this game, I like it alot, but it also bugs the living *#$% out of me too.

I think my problem is energy management. Firstly, I can take out bombers like there's no tomorrow, I load them up, pick 'em off, everything's dandy.

But when it comes to dogfighting, I take my plane, a P-40M because I hear its a good starter plane, and I load up another fighter (this usually changes, either a FW-190 A5 or early Yak series, or one of the La5 family, don't know why those, I just pick them.)

The quick mission starts off like normal, at 3000m with both of us charging head on. When we pass, the average difficulty AI breaks left or right and I chase. He then begins a lazy sightseeing tour of the landscape at a good 1500m or more above me and occassionaly swoops down close to give me the finger. He then uses that energy and flies back up to where I just can't seem to give chase.

I can keep him off of my tail (he's only average difficulty after all) but I just cannot seem to chase him at all. I don't know if I'm using poor throttle and/or prop pitch, I don't even use fuel mix or supercharger yet, as I can't even manage the basics well.
But alot of the time, the quick mission usually ends up with me at a much lower altitude with an engine that's probably at too high an RPM and is also running too hot.

I know basically what prop pitch does but I can't seem to get the hang of proper throttle and pitch settings to get any good use out of my engine. Same goes with use of radiator too. What am I doing wrong to keep me from keeping up the chase?

Thanks alot in advance.

TeufelHund84
06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Alright, I love this game, I like it alot, but it also bugs the living *#$% out of me too.

I think my problem is energy management. Firstly, I can take out bombers like there's no tomorrow, I load them up, pick 'em off, everything's dandy.

But when it comes to dogfighting, I take my plane, a P-40M because I hear its a good starter plane, and I load up another fighter (this usually changes, either a FW-190 A5 or early Yak series, or one of the La5 family, don't know why those, I just pick them.)

The quick mission starts off like normal, at 3000m with both of us charging head on. When we pass, the average difficulty AI breaks left or right and I chase. He then begins a lazy sightseeing tour of the landscape at a good 1500m or more above me and occassionaly swoops down close to give me the finger. He then uses that energy and flies back up to where I just can't seem to give chase.

I can keep him off of my tail (he's only average difficulty after all) but I just cannot seem to chase him at all. I don't know if I'm using poor throttle and/or prop pitch, I don't even use fuel mix or supercharger yet, as I can't even manage the basics well.
But alot of the time, the quick mission usually ends up with me at a much lower altitude with an engine that's probably at too high an RPM and is also running too hot.

I know basically what prop pitch does but I can't seem to get the hang of proper throttle and pitch settings to get any good use out of my engine. Same goes with use of radiator too. What am I doing wrong to keep me from keeping up the chase?

Thanks alot in advance.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-13-2006, 07:17 PM
AI uses simplified FM, they tend to always be faster then human driven planes due to this. There are work arounds... but... I'm no fighter jock... see sig. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TeufelHund84
06-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Well that makes me feel a little bit better at least. But I still get the feeling that if I was to prematurely make the move to online play, the same thing would happen.

I read somewhere that a good test to see if you're comfortable with online play is to take on 4 Ace AI planes singlehandedly. Boy do I have a long way to go.

danjama
06-13-2006, 07:24 PM
nah, online pilots are much more stupid

get online

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Bah, I used to spank Ace AI all over the place, once I got online, ferget it. AI becomes predictable, human pilots don't... most of the time. Best to forget about the AI baddies and try your hand at human pilots, AI gives you bad habits, human pilots can actually teach you what and what not to do... my experiance anyways.

TeufelHund84
06-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Alright then last question; what's the most frequently used server finder for FB+AEP+PF, v4.04? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

polak5
06-13-2006, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
nah, online pilots are much more stupid

get online </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

TeufelHund84
06-13-2006, 07:46 PM
I just remembered all seeing eye and hyperlobby, are one of those used pretty heavily with this game?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-13-2006, 08:01 PM
HyperLobby.

SeaFireLIV
06-13-2006, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeufelHund84:

Thanks alot in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the earlier responses don`t actually tell you much, though I would agree I see dumber people online... But generally online pilots will wipe the floor with you if you can`t at least take down average fighter AI sometimes.

Are you on full engine management or simple? I can`t remember if the P40 M you`re using has supercharger - if it does, use it! At higher altitudes 3500+ metres (11-13000 feetish) your plane will suffer in performance. It`s also a good idea to change your mixture from 100% to 80 0r 60% while that high (change it back when below 2000m).

You can close the radiater to reduce wind resistance too and use trim to gain the optimum fastest climb ratio.

The P40 has a little red light that shows when you`re overheating, just lay off the juice a little and open the rad until it goes out.

Just remeber, certain planes have different performances. I NEVER fly allied planes against eachother (bad practise in my view), so I don`t know about the Yak versus a P40, but I do know that 190s have quite a zoom climb ability and will find it easier to leave you down below or just outrun you if you let them - Most online Humans will do this online too.

Your best bet is to hit them before they get too far ahead, just after you`ve outturned him and he decides to run for it. Try an opportunity to burst to make him turn instead of run. If you`re lucky you may even hit him and bust his performance....

Hope that helps a bit.

danjama
06-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I love the P40 after a sortie tonight. Had 2 zero's on my 6, and they were shootin me to pieces, but i made them collide http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Heres my plane after landing, i have a new found respect for it

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/danjama/ouch1.jpg

and thats my wingman coming in hot from his own sortie! we both had a cold beer after that scrap!

JamesBlonde888
06-13-2006, 08:54 PM
I really think that the 109F-4 is the best kite to start in. It's fast and simple to fly as well as being rather manouverable...(For a 109)

If you cant catch the AI then Go online, the only difficulty you will find is that it is really hard to hit a spinning target.

Once in an Fw-190 ('A' Something, they are all **** apart from the D-9) I was being chased by 3 Hurris (Slow even when flown by AI) So I dropped my bombloadand the 2 of the Hurris flew into the blast! Goody, the last guy was a piece of cake. You could try letting them get on your tail and doing this perhaps?

WTE_Galway
06-13-2006, 08:54 PM
i am not sure if a 190 is a particularly good match against the P40 if you are just learning to dogfight overall the 190 is a better plane even before the AI bonus

first make sure they have 100% fuel and you have 25% this will cancel some of the AI built in advantage

try some other early war variants as target palnes .. maybe a fiat C50 or the 38 hurri .. the AI in those will try to turn with you rather than energy fight

the other thing you could do is go up against a 109E4B and give it a bomb .. at least you can catch him till he drops the bomb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

QMB is an excellent training tool ... even now i like to go into QMB and occasionally fly against a novice or average opponent at quarter speed just to keep my eye in for deflection shooting

JamesBlonde888
06-13-2006, 09:04 PM
You could try flying the Me-262 as well. Not much gets away from one of those.

TeufelHund84
06-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Seafire, no the M variant of P-40 doesn't have a supercharger, nor can I adjust mixture on it either, just prop and radiator. I remember about superchargers only because it's so simple (above 2500m or so, turn it on!), fuel mix is still a little shady to me except for takeoff purposes, and again prop & throttle combination. Thank you for the other tips too.

JamesBlonde as far as the 109F4 goes, that is usually the one I play after doing some reading (something about it being the best performing of all variants?) but the P-40 was the only one that I actually read anything about being a good noob starter, so that's the only reason I started using it over the 109.

To even performance in QMB I decided to make a hostile 109F4 as well just to balance it out. I finally did send the SOB into the ground but not without more chasing than I probably needed to. Oh well.

The only thing I have going for me is I learned how to land (not perfectly) really quick lol. So if I somehow manage to send a lucky snowball-chance-in-hell cannon round through your fuselage you can bet I will get on the ground safely.

Unless your friends are shooting at me. Then I'll just jam flaps, full throttle, and bail when they're not looking. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But for real thanks guys.

VW-IceFire
06-13-2006, 09:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeufelHund84:
Well that makes me feel a little bit better at least. But I still get the feeling that if I was to prematurely make the move to online play, the same thing would happen.

I read somewhere that a good test to see if you're comfortable with online play is to take on 4 Ace AI planes singlehandedly. Boy do I have a long way to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes and no when it comes to the online world. You get a mix of incrediblely gifted pilots with some excellent skills and on the other hand you have some total dweebs who don't know their 6 from their 12 and its pretty sad/funny to see. You're undoubtedly way beyond that...you realize that energy is an important component of air combat so you're well on your way.

With the P-40...at 3000m you're close to 10,000 feet whereby above that altitude the P-40 becomes slugish. The P-40 is a dive machine but its terrible at climbing. In some engagements P-40 pilots would dive through the enemy formation and fly for home because climbing back up was going to be a very bad experience. Depends on the situation.

Couple that with the AI's near perfect engine management skills and you have a situation where the AI is always going to be faster.

The best P-40 VS match is against Zero's because it teaches you energy and boom and zoom techniques. You cannot turn with them for extended periods of time (don't let the P-40s good initial turn rate goad you into turning for a long time because it gets slow fast and then the Zeros have you).

Pick a P-40N and a A6M3 and have a go at it for a while. If you can do this well...you should be able to survive your first online forray. When you get into your first dogfight server (say 334th of AFJ)...try and remember to climb first and not get caught up in the turning brawl at 500m. Those are the people who die in the droves and never figure it out.

I even had one guy ask me how I was going so fast...I explained I don't turn in circles...I dive in from above. He was mystified http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Worf101
06-14-2006, 08:40 AM
I've found that if you want to get offline A.I. to mix it up with you, you need to have a flight of guys with you. They being A.I. themselves can catch these guys and eventually lure them into some sort of turn fight. Sooner or later you'll get a chance to get your licks in. Only problem is they'll vulch your kills too so be persistent.

Da Worfster

MLudner
06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Aw, hell, Worf: Humans are as bad about kill stealing as any old AI (Not that you were saying they weren't). I've gotten so frustrated by it I've actually stitched bursts at friendlies trying to convince them to get off of my target.

Wish I had more time...

TeufelHund84
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Zeppelin rules.