PDA

View Full Version : Looking back/left and back/right

johann_thor
01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I am starting to fly again after a long break. When I had my old setup I used TrackIr - but not any more. Is there a way to look as far back left or right like you do with TrackIr using the keys ?

johann_thor
01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I am starting to fly again after a long break. When I had my old setup I used TrackIr - but not any more. Is there a way to look as far back left or right like you do with TrackIr using the keys ?

Tully__
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Option 1. Mouse
Option 2. If your joystick supports mouse emulation on a POV hat, set it up that way. Most Saitek sticks support that and I think TM Cougars and maybe CH sticks do as well.

wheelsup_cavu
01-03-2009, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johann_thor:
I am starting to fly again after a long break. When I had my old setup I used TrackIr - but not any more. Is there a way to look as far back left or right like you do with TrackIr using the keys ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can use the number pad on the keyboard.

Look Forward: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 8</span>
Look Front Left: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 7</span>
Look Front Right: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 9</span>
Look Back Left: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 1</span>
Look Front Right: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 3</span>
Look Up: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 5</span>
Look Down: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 2</span>
Look Left: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 4</span>
Look Right: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">NumPad 6</span>

These are the default controls.
There are several other user definable views in the <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Controls</span> section for your pilot.
Even these can be changed to suit your preferences.

Wheelsup

Duckmeister
01-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't think the Saitek X52 supports POV hat emulation of mouse, but it does have a little mini-stick that, defaultly, is set up as a mouse cursor, with adjustable sensitivity. I use the 1st POV hat to look around, with "down left" being "back left", instead of "down left", and I use the mini-stick to look with guncam view and in places I can't reach with the POV hat.

Tully__
01-03-2009, 08:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duckmeister:
I don't think the Saitek X52 supports POV hat emulation of mouse... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does, I have mine set up that way as I didn't like the action on the ministick. The pan speed is not proportional so I have is set up for fast pan without the pinkie shift and slow pan with the pinkie shift.

Duckmeister
01-03-2009, 08:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duckmeister:
I don't think the Saitek X52 supports POV hat emulation of mouse... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does, I have mine set up that way as I didn't like the action on the ministick. The pan speed is not proportional so I have is set up for fast pan without the pinkie shift and slow pan with the pinkie shift. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking in the SST software and POV hat 1 options, the mouse is greyed out...

Tully__
01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
It does, I have mine set up that way as I didn't like the action on the ministick. The pan speed is not proportional so I have is set up for fast pan without the pinkie shift and slow pan with the pinkie shift. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking in the SST software and POV hat 1 options, the mouse is greyed out... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It can only be assigned to one thing at a time. You'll need to re-assign the ministick to bands or something else before the mouse option becomes available on the other hats. You can assign it to any of the hats not just the POV, but only one of them at any one time.

Copperhead311th
01-03-2009, 11:19 PM
damn theres Tully. where you been hideing?

Tully__
01-04-2009, 02:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Copperhead311th:
damn theres Tully. where you been hideing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm married with kids now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Copperhead311th
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Copperhead311th:
damn theres Tully. where you been hideing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm married with kids now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gifOH NO! just what the world needed....more Tully. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Ba5tard5word
01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Are there any joysticks that have a small analog stick for looking around? Don't hat switches only give you 8 directions to look in, or do you have more control than that?

I have a Xbox 360 gamepad which isn't great for controlling the plane, but I use the right analog stick to move around and it's great.

Tully__
01-10-2009, 02:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Are there any joysticks that have a small analog stick for looking around? Don't hat switches only give you 8 directions to look in, or do you have more control than that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Saitek X-45, 52 and 52 Pro all have a ministick that is analog and that outputs mouse movement unless you configure it otherwise in your profile. There may be others that do the same.

The Saitek drivers also allow you to assign hat switches to output mouse axis signal on any Saitek stick from the Cyborg Evo up (includes AV8R and the X HOTAS sticks). Unlike the ministick, the mouse assignment on a hat gives you constant speed smooth pan, not the variable speed smooth pan available with a mouse/ministick. The driver does allow you to choose how fast that constant speed is though, and if you like you can assign a different speed when you use the hat in conjuction with a shift button on the stick.

As I don't like the view control using the ministick due to the positioning, the small range of movement and the fact that my left thumb doesn't seem to be able to move in fine enough increments to make use of an analog stick, I have assigned my zoom/wide views to the ministick and re-assigned the mouse axis controls to one of the hats on the joystick. I have it set up to give fast movement un-shifted and slow movement when used with a shift button. This gives smooth pan in any of 8 directions that can be stopped anywhere in the pilots field of view, not just the standard snap/pan stop points supplied by default in the game.