PDA

View Full Version : Noob Needs A Help

Vladandic
03-31-2007, 09:10 AM
I can't controlmy airoplane,

it is going up.....i can't shoot to the enemy...

Please Help!!!

Vladandic
03-31-2007, 09:10 AM
I can't controlmy airoplane,

it is going up.....i can't shoot to the enemy...

Please Help!!!

Yellow_Sub
03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I am not sure if that is your problem, but if your plane wants to climb all the time, instead of flying straight. You need to trim the elevators of your plane. See under controls which keys are bound to trim elevator up and trim elevator down.
I think the default keys are CTRL + CURSOR DOWN to trim it down. Meaning your plane will fly straight or down instead of climbing, and therefore be faster.
CTRL + CURSOR UP to trim your elevators up, your plane will climb.

Increasing the throttle doesn't make your plane fly faster, it increases the tendency to climb. You have to trim it down to go faster.

While flying you have to adjust the trims all the time.

Does anyone know a guide about angle of attack and trimming? Mad Piglet had a nice one on il2flying.com but it seems to down.

judgerw
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I would love to see a guide on trimming. The hows and whys. I'm lost as to that aspect of flying so far.

Skycat_2
03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
'Trimming' is basically the fine-tuning of your control surfaces so that you don't have to work the control stick so much to keep the plane flying straight and level. The goal is to be able to take your hands of the joystick completely and not see a change in your plane's pitch, bank or yaw. This is nearly impossible to achieve except for brief periods, but reaching for this goal makes your plane fly faster and with more stability.

The 'why' of how to do it is that you have forces that affect the balance of your plane. Speed, altitude, wind, bomb load, weight of fuel and ammunition, the torque from your propeller ... all these affect your aircraft at any given moment. Pilots can usually compensate by fine tuning one or more control surfaces --- how many will depend on the model of the plane.

American planes usually offer excellent trimming control. If you look in the P-51D cockpit, for example, you'll see two black dials between the pilot's left armrest and the throttle control. These are trim dials, and in the game they are even animated. In the Mustang, Thunderbolt, most USN fighters and probably most other American planes, you can fine-tune the elevator (balance so the nose rises more or less), aelerons (plane won't want to roll right or left) and the rudder (you can 'center the ball' on your yaw indicator and it will stay there).

As I said, not all planes have this much control. Many nationalities are limited to elevator trim alone, or elevator and aelerons. During this era, many planes were 'trimmed' on the ground by the crews to be optimal during the cruise portion (at a predetermined altitude and speed) because the pilot could not trim these controls, like the rudder, during the flight.

How: I stole an idea from MS CFS and reassigned my trim keys to the NumPad. The NumPad becomes a 'top down' view of the plane, with the nose being 2, the left wing being 4, etc. Rudder trim is the 7 and 9 keys. All I do is tap the key that corresponds with the direction I'd like the plane to favor.
The specifics of this setup can be found here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9901017394)