PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's Guides Availablity?

Comrade_Sasha
04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi- still relatively new to all of this! I'm having the devil of a time figuring out the quirks of various planes-

A) is there some sort of trick to starting up the German jets? 90% of the time I wind up burning my engines before I can even move an inch! Sadly, I have more success in a ME163 over anythine else fielded so far!

B) is there some sort of guide for dive-bombing? I've killed thousands of Russian tanks in a Tiger tank (playing Red Orchestra) but having no luck at all in Stukas. Where can I find some sort of bombing tables/angles/speeds/etc for dive-bombers? And is there a particular setting for using a 'Dive Sight'? I noted the inclusion of this in the aircraft guide but there's no obvious listing for it in the control settings- what gives? Or IS there such a thing in-game as a Dive Sight?

C) Is there anything in the works for flyable B-17's, B-24's, or B-29's? Or, for that matter, Lancasters and such other heavy bombers? I've seen them in-game but so far no joy on taking one out on a mission.

D) As an after thought, I noticed the YAK-15 jet is a taildragger- but I just saw on The Military Channel that it was built with tricycle gear, with the nosewheel in a 'bump' under the jet cowling. Any chance of getting the nosewheel version in-game?

Comrade_Sasha
04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi- still relatively new to all of this! I'm having the devil of a time figuring out the quirks of various planes-

A) is there some sort of trick to starting up the German jets? 90% of the time I wind up burning my engines before I can even move an inch! Sadly, I have more success in a ME163 over anythine else fielded so far!

B) is there some sort of guide for dive-bombing? I've killed thousands of Russian tanks in a Tiger tank (playing Red Orchestra) but having no luck at all in Stukas. Where can I find some sort of bombing tables/angles/speeds/etc for dive-bombers? And is there a particular setting for using a 'Dive Sight'? I noted the inclusion of this in the aircraft guide but there's no obvious listing for it in the control settings- what gives? Or IS there such a thing in-game as a Dive Sight?

C) Is there anything in the works for flyable B-17's, B-24's, or B-29's? Or, for that matter, Lancasters and such other heavy bombers? I've seen them in-game but so far no joy on taking one out on a mission.

D) As an after thought, I noticed the YAK-15 jet is a taildragger- but I just saw on The Military Channel that it was built with tricycle gear, with the nosewheel in a 'bump' under the jet cowling. Any chance of getting the nosewheel version in-game?

Zeus-cat
04-29-2007, 11:30 AM
A) Throttle up the Me-262 SLOWLY. The engines are very touchy, as they were in real life.

B) There are dive-bombing guides made by users. Check out Mission4Today.com and simHQ.com and other sites. I have made two offline campaigns for the SBD (see below for link to Mission4Today). I also have a takeoff and training campaign for the SBD.

C) No flyable heavies will be added to the game.

D) Unlikely to see any new planes at all as this sim is pretty much over for development. Still lots of life in her of for playability, but little new stuff in the works - a few maps and some objects, but no planes as far we know.

If you have the 1946 version of the game there is a pfd file in the main directory called "Aircraft Guide". It is 16MB, so it is a bit big. Not a tremendous amount of detail on each plane, but some info on all the flyables.

B)

Nimits
04-29-2007, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">C) Is there anything in the works for flyable B-17's, B-24's, or B-29's? Or, for that matter, Lancasters and such other heavy bombers? I've seen them in-game but so far no joy on taking one out on a mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only flyable "heavy" bomber is the VVS TB-3, a rather antiquated four engine bomber that was phased out in 1942. It was very vulnerable and never really used in the tradtional strategic heavy bomber role. Unfortunately, that is it.

One should keep in mind, though, that the 1946 map system really precludes the realistic use of any flyable 4-engine heavies anyway. There is only one historical map (New Guinea) where you have a potential heavy bomber base and a suitable target on the same map.

Comrade_Sasha
04-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I was thinking (re: heavy bombers) about potential scenarios for using ME163 Komets or Hortens as they were intended- as point-defense interceptors- specifically against B-17's.

Then again, maybe that's best left to AI B-17's! Hmmm...got to learn how to work the Mission Generator now!

And come to think of it...if someone can come up with a workable radar scope, we can have some honest-to-goodness night missions (we HAVE to have a 2-seat ME262, though...)

EURO_Snoopy
04-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Pilots Notes @ M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=42)