PDA

View Full Version : newb firing solution

tiver1953
08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
After I ask for the solution, what do I do? Does the boat automaticially change course and fire?

tiver1953
08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
After I ask for the solution, what do I do? Does the boat automaticially change course and fire?

GlassTrain
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
The torpedo(s) have gyros in them. This means that they will go strait out of the tube and then alter course to the pre-set gyro setting.

A firing sequence shoud go something like this:

1. Before even raising the periscope to fire, open the selected tube(s). This can be done with the Q key.
2. Ask the Weapons Officer to identify the target.
Note: Steps three and four should be done quickly. As soon as the solution appears, fire the torpedo! Otherwise, the WO's caculation will be old news. This is also why you should open the tube first. Any delay from the solution to the fire command will result in a miss.
3. Ask the WO to ready the solution to the target. The notepad shold give a Range, Angle on Bow, and a Speed.
4. Ask the weapons officer to fire the torpedo(s), or press the fire button.

All three WO commands are accessed from the "Torpedo Attack" Icon.

*Instead of locking the target with the "Lock" command, try aiming a bit forward of center mass if you find yourself missing the target.

lecek
08-20-2005, 07:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> *Instead of locking the target with the "Lock" command, try aiming a bit forward of center mass if you find yourself missing the target. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are using electric torps, remember to select the speed first. The electric torps run a bit slower then 30 kts and the TDC defaults to 30. So if you forget to do this your torpedo's will hit aft of intended.

If you mix electric and steam you should do this for each electric. If you go with only electric then once per trip is enough. (And after every game load.)

GlassTrain
08-20-2005, 08:49 PM
For some reason at distances greater than say, 1000m, I always ended up sailing at least one torp past the targeted ships' stern with the reticle locked. I attributed this to my own lazy trigger finger. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I then started leading the target by setting the crosshairs in one place ahead of the target, waiting for it to nose into them and ripping off steps 3 and 4 quickly. No more near misses!

BTW: Aren't the steam torps the ones that are speed selective?

L.Sword
08-20-2005, 09:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GlassTrain:
For some reason at distances greater than say, 1000m, I always ended up sailing at least one torp past the targeted ships' stern with the reticle locked. I attributed this to my own lazy trigger finger. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Strange. Do you use your WO or do you plot solutions yourself?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
BTW: Aren't the steam torps the ones that are speed selective? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct, but the TDC defaults to "steam speed", by clicking on the speed dial you force it to change to electric speed.

GlassTrain
08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
L.Sword,

Mostly the WO. If I can use point and shoot, I'll do it myself.

So there is a bug in the TDC as far as the electric torps?

L.Sword
08-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Yeah it's a bug, unless it's a standing practical joke from your crew while they load the torpedos... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tiver1953
08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks