PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Manual TDC

dmm_u333
04-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Having installed v1.2 mid patrol i've lost the use of my watch officer which i had relied on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Yes i know that is MY fault.
Still, its an opportunity to learn manual TDC.

I can do the manual TDC process in around 1 min or so which is a little slow i guess and maybe accounts fo rthe fact that i always miss http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
(the torp always just misses the stern of the target).

Can any manual tdc devotees give me some advice (step by step please!).
thanks in advance.

dmm_u333
04-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Having installed v1.2 mid patrol i've lost the use of my watch officer which i had relied on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Yes i know that is MY fault.
Still, its an opportunity to learn manual TDC.

I can do the manual TDC process in around 1 min or so which is a little slow i guess and maybe accounts fo rthe fact that i always miss http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
(the torp always just misses the stern of the target).

Can any manual tdc devotees give me some advice (step by step please!).
thanks in advance.

Nukem_Hicks
04-07-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm still attempting to master the manual TDC as well, but I can give you a few tips that I've managed to pick up.

1) Get as close as possible to your target (500m or so). It's almost impossible to miss at close range with anything but the most erroneous calculations.

2) Try to attack the target at as close to a 90 degree angle as you can. The most difficult step to calculate is the AOB, but if you can eyeball the 90 degree angle the rest is cake. Basically, try to always attack abeam (largest target for your torps).

3) Duds most frequently occur from the torp striking the target at anything but a 90 degree angle, something caused by incorrect TDC calculations. This can be fixed by using the mag pistol and setting the torps to .5m below the target's draft. This doesn't work as well in rough seas, however.

4) If the target doesn't see you, it is unlikely to change speed. As a result, calculate the speed early and keep it when you recalculate right before launching your torps. This makes your shots more accurate since you won't have to wait as long after calculating the range to launch your torps.

5) Keep your gyro angle as close to 0 as possible. I can't emphasize that enough. It's difficult enough to hit a target without having to rely on the torp's gyro compass as well.

6) Going off of tip 4, start gathering data long before you prepare to launch your torps. Like the ship speed, the ship ID doesn't change. Calculate late that as soon as possible and it will remain on your datapad.

If you find that your torps are missing astern of the target that typically means that your AOB is off. The AOB is the most difficult to calculate since eyeballing it is the quickest (yet most inaccurate) method. The protractor added in 1.2 should make this easier. Simply find the enemy ship's heading. Find your heading. Using the protractor on your nav chart, plot the target position with the proper heading. For example:

You attack a convoy. The contact report states that the enemy is at heading 10 degrees. You are at heading 270 degrees on the target's stbd side. Your AOB (you can calculate this by looking at a compass) is 80 degrees. Alternatively, your heading is 90 degrees from the target's port side, target is heading 10 degrees. The AOB is 100 degrees. NOTE: This method only works when the target is crossing your bows, i.e. at 0 gyro angle. Otherwise, you'll have to mark the target on your nav chart and, placing the protractor so that the target heading shows as 0, then use the protractor to find the AOB.

Remember, keep your AOB as close to 90 degrees as possible and your gyro angle as close to 0 degrees as possible. This should help improve your success rate.

dmm_u333
04-07-2005, 02:55 AM
thanks, that helps! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

axeman3d
04-07-2005, 02:56 AM
I suffered the same fate, lost the use of my weapons officer in patrol because I put the patch in regardless. I wasn't too miffed, I was restarting my career anyway and was looking to get the hang of full manual anyway.

I found I couldn't hit a sodding thing. Vessels large as buildings crawled past me as my torpedos shot off in all directions, even going behind me at one point, and it got me a bit frustrated. The stopwatch/speed calculation is a downright liar, worse than useless if you are moving. Range calculation at anything other than mill-pond smooth seas is fiddly as hell, and AOB is not that easy either.

I get around all that now by setting myself up fully and using the chart tools to work out stuff. I set myself well ahead of my prey and draw a line along his course. I set myself up at 90 degrees to it, then measure using the ruler from my bow to the line of the ships course. I then turn the bearing indicator on the TDC until the gyro angle is as near zero as possible. Speed is calculated (and often ignored) when I'm at dead stop. This means I have a 90 degree AOB, usually 700 yards range and I shoot when the ship matches the bearing on the TDC, usually about 10 degrees before the right angle. Cant miss, as long as I remember to open the tube door first.

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 03:22 AM
if your torps are going astern of the target, then you are under estimating the target speed. I find that this happens to me when i take too long getting the AOB - ie: by the time i come to start the clock to get the speed, the target's range or AOB has changed.

what i do is use the protracter on the nav map and get an AOB for a point that is just ahead of the ship's current position, then i get a range just as the ship touches my protractor point, and start the clock - stopping it before the stern of the ship passes my AOB protractor point.

HelpfulParadox
04-07-2005, 04:24 AM
protractor is a bit useless if you have no map updates at 100% reality. still my schwartze katze have 290k tonnes using good old mk1 eyeball. this is early in the war ofcourse.

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 04:30 AM
that's true.... unfortunately it's the one realism setting i can't live without at the moment - i failed utterly at guessing the AOB

Nukem_Hicks
04-07-2005, 04:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelpfulParadox:
protractor is a bit useless if you have no map updates at 100% reality. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what makes having no map updates fun: you actually have to plot the enemy location on your nav map! Simply find the enemy range and your (not his) AOB. Mark it on your map using the compass and protractor. Repeat the step a few minutes later. Connect the dots. Suddenly you have the enemy heading (for a more accurate heading, plot 3 or 4 points on your map). Using your protractor, find what the enemy AOB will be when he is at a certain point, say, with a gyro angle of 350. Enter that into your notepad and calculate the range and speed when the gyro angle reads 350. Open your tubes while you're calculating the speed. When the gyro angle reaches 000, launch your fish. Almost impossible to miss using this tactic, especially at close range and firing a salvo of 2 or 3 fish.