PDA

View Full Version : Platforming, how much is too much?

Vey03
06-08-2011, 06:06 AM
There hasn't a thread about this that i could find, but just wanted your opinions about the amount of time we spend climbing and jumping and wall running in AC.

Going from AC1 to AC2 to BH, it seems we are seeing more and more of it.
So with Rev's, do you want more? Or do you want less?
Do you enjoy it?
Or do you find the missons involvings lots of it boring?

Speaking for myself, i definitly don't want anymore!
BH had too much in some cases. Some of the missions where all you did was climb things, and work out how to get to doors etc... enough already.
We already have enough climbing around to get to viewpoints and the Borgia towers, i didn't like the missons where it was all platforming.

Some of the Tombs of Romulous and the rooms where you go with Da Vinci are prime examples of where it's too much.

I hate to make the comparison again, but i feel like saying POP when i see this.

I have no problem with a little platforming. And i enjoy the free running using the environment and buildings. And i use them in missons.
I just don't like it when whole missons are just climbing and jumping around, and it's just tedious.

To me, these are tedious side-missons that takes away from the game.

If platforming is a must, and again, i have no problem with some being used, i prefer to see it used together with action sequences.

The words 'puzzle' and 'platforming' in the same sentence make me shudder.
One minute you're free-running and assassinating.
The next you're standing around scratching your behind, trying to figure out how to get to a door 50m above you.
I find it brings gameplay to screeching halt.

So what do you think?

crash3
06-08-2011, 06:14 AM
i like climbing the buildings, especially famous buildings like Castel Sant'Angelo i think the amountof climbing is fine but i think what makes it feel like too mchis the fact that there are no consequences for running up a building in front of loads of people, we casually climb buildings and no one does anything, i would have thought that climbing buildings was illegal so somepeople might call for guards but they dont

the amount of climbing is fine but the gameplay needs to be brought more down to earth, we need more blending in crowds and approaching targets stealthily

i think the amount of climbing was fine in ACB its just coz ACB was so short that it felt like there was lot of climbing in it

SixKeys
06-08-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't mind platforming. The puzzles in the lairs/tombs are never too difficult to figure out and there's kind of an Indiana Jones vibe to treasure-hunting. As a PC player, the only thing I hate is the camera angles.

I think Brotherhood had a good amount. Maybe keep the platforming to lairs/tombs though and not so much for the main missions. (There are few things more annoying than having to chase your assassination target while battling with the controls.)

Grandmaster_Z
06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
i hate it and i hate how the E3 Demo was Ezio blowing sh it up like COD and then platforming the rest of the. is this tomb raider or uncharted? its turning into that. AC1 was the best.

Bruno_Berg
06-08-2011, 07:35 AM
I really enjoy the platforming and the amount in AC:B was pretty good if you ask me.

Crouching.Tiger
06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
i hate it and i hate how the E3 Demo was Ezio blowing sh it up like COD and then platforming the rest of the. is this tomb raider or uncharted? its turning into that. AC1 was the best.

I thought the platforming was the best part of the demo! It was so over-the-top awesome. I also think the indoor platforming tends to be more boring than the more open outdoor free-running, but if done properly, like the last Lair of Romulus (the one inside St. Peter's Basilica), it can be one of the best missions in the game.

iN3krO
06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Hmm, well, Ac1 was firstly drawn to be a platforming game with some FEW combats when it was needed... after ppl getting skill they started to ignore the platforming part to get to his targets and started to pull over and kill everyguard...

Now ubisoft unbalanced the game making combat easier and had to add desync when anyguard see you and make full platforming missions...

I want it less than in brotherhood but the combat balanced incentivating stealthy ways (which got platforming inside it)...

Most of the problems in Ac2 and AcB was due to the unbalanced combat system however ppl like to feel badass without having skill and want to fix the problems of Ac2 and AcB without balancing the combat system...

Until you don't agree the combat system is too much unbalanced you won't have a game without bad things..

SixKeys
06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Crouching.Tiger:
I thought the platforming was the best part of the demo! It was so over-the-top awesome. I also think the indoor platforming tends to be more boring than the more open outdoor free-running, but if done properly, like the last Lair of Romulus (the one inside St. Peter's Basilica), it can be one of the best missions in the game.

Ugh, the last lair was the worst. The atmosphere was great, with the rain and all, but the camera angles made me want to smash my keyboard. Worst of all it was timed, so if you couldn't get the hang of the controls in time, the priest would escape and you'd have to start over again. I prefer taking my time puzzling and finding the best way to reach my target, admiring the surroundings. The AC2 assassins tombs where you were inside a cathedral were my favorites. No guards to chase, just looking around and trying to find the best route.

Turkiye96
06-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by crash3:
i like climbing the buildings, especially famous buildings like Castel Sant'Angelo i think the amountof climbing is fine but i think what makes it feel like too mchis the fact that there are no consequences for running up a building in front of loads of people, we casually climb buildings and no one does anything, i would have thought that climbing buildings was illegal so somepeople might call for guards but they dont

the amount of climbing is fine but the gameplay needs to be brought more down to earth, we need more blending in crowds and approaching targets stealthily

i think the amount of climbing was fine in ACB its just coz ACB was so short that it felt like there was lot of climbing in it

well when you see a guy climbing u dont call for cops at most i would like to see a crowd gather and talk and then maybe clap if he can climb it :P

Turkiye96
06-08-2011, 08:57 AM
i voted for same as brotherhood, but lets make it clear that brotherhood totally miss-used the concept, scaling cool buildings with a lot of history is awesome BUT NEVER SHOULD IT TAKE THE PLACE OF A MISSION! if a mission says get from point A to point B then the assassins creed franchise has failed... ( this does not include races) coz thats just sad, they couldn't find anything to do so they make you run around? when dont they just make us do animus training the whole game? so i was a little dissapointed about that but the ( dont get detected kinda made things better)

but i like picking off people one by one and infiltrating so its fun when there are guards around then climbing

Artemis88
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I didn't really mind all the climbing about. yes it did get a bit tedious at times, especially when some missoins required you to find an alternative route around e.g. when you had to escape with the Apple from the basilica with the guards nipping at your heels if you weren't fast enough to get to the rooftops.

It did, however, provide one small piece of entertainment for me - got robbed, tried to get my money back (not that it bothered me, had too much of it anyway) only for the robber to climb up and be shot by the numerous amount of guards on the rooftops in the Vatican District X-D

Turkiye96
06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crouching.Tiger:

Ugh, the last lair was the worst. The atmosphere was great, with the rain and all, but the camera angles made me want to smash my keyboard. Worst of all it was timed, so if you couldn't get the hang of the controls in time, the priest would escape and you'd have to start over again. I prefer taking my time puzzling and finding the best way to reach my target, admiring the surroundings. The AC2 assassins tombs where you were inside a cathedral were my favorites. No guards to chase, just looking around and trying to find the best route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yea they kinda messed up the angles BUT if you only have seconds to go and your fighting the priest at the end all you need to do is pull your gun out on him... gave over :P and then quickly finish the mission

kriegerdesgottes
06-08-2011, 10:05 AM
The climbing and jumping are some of my favorite things about the franchise in general. They give you freedom to go wherever you want.

Super_Sausage
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Turkiye96:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crash3:

well when you see a guy climbing u dont call for cops at most i would like to see a crowd gather and talk and then maybe clap if he can climb it :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, when base jumpers and that French spiderman guy (forgot his name) climb things the police lock them up overnight.

And on the subject of platforming, ACB had the right amount. It's stupid to compare it too PoP because those games (apart from the 2098 one) were entirely platformed - there was only one way to do everything. And they were still great anyway.

Plus in the last Lair of Romulus, if you throw the cardinal guy over the fence you get a cool little animation.

XxSYD3WINDERxX
06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Don't have time to read whole thread, so I apologise if this has already been mentioned ^_^

TBH, I haven't noticed it to much and just accept it, but I definitely don't want any more now that I think about it. I think it should be in the game, but only really in the tombs, to make it a different gaming experience between the two 'modes'.

twangling
06-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Hopefully less, definitely not any more.

I have always loved free-running in AC, but only when it's FREE-running. And those excessive platforming quests are probably the only true gripe I have about AC2 and ACB. Contextual cameras are especially annoying for me. I would rather take times to figure out the route myself than being constantly grabbed by the hand.

Originally posted by Super_Sausage:
And on the subject of platforming, ACB had the right amount. It's stupid to compare it too PoP because those games (apart from the 2098 one) were entirely platformed - there was only one way to do everything. And they were still great anyway.
I think the difference is, puzzle platforming is the focal point of PoP gameplay, therefore the devs are devoted to polishing its features, making them a great series. But the focal point of AC series lies elsewhere, namely, public assassinations, so all other features should serve to enhance it, not distracting from it, or even replacing it. If I want PoP style of platforming, I play PoPs.

PhiIs1618033
06-09-2011, 05:37 AM
A little platforming from time to time is great for variation, but not too much.

I've always loved doing the whole parkour aspect of the series. I still wonder why they called it freerunning. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif Maybe because it doesn't cost you money and you run? :P

phil.llllll
06-09-2011, 05:42 AM
I'm hoping for a complete revamp of the freerun system in AC3 but as of now I don't think the platforming has ever been overused.

Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
AI've always loved doing the whole parkour aspect of the series. I still wonder why they called it freerunning. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif Maybe because it doesn't cost you money and you run? :P

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Probably because it sounds better than the parkour button. That and even if someone didn't know what parkour meant they could easily pick up on the run part of freerun.