PDA

View Full Version : Noob with video card problems

Montys_Doubl3
09-09-2005, 06:46 AM
I have a Pentium 3.4 with a Radeon X700SE and I keep getting screen freezes. The VPU mostly recovers after 10 seconds or so, but by then I've lost that psky 109 I was chasing, and booked an urgent appointment with the ground. Any suggestions would be appreciated (yes, I have the latest drivers, and I've turned hardware acceleration to minimum). I'm running ver1.11.

Cheers

Montys_Doubl3
09-09-2005, 06:46 AM
I have a Pentium 3.4 with a Radeon X700SE and I keep getting screen freezes. The VPU mostly recovers after 10 seconds or so, but by then I've lost that psky 109 I was chasing, and booked an urgent appointment with the ground. Any suggestions would be appreciated (yes, I have the latest drivers, and I've turned hardware acceleration to minimum). I'm running ver1.11.

Cheers

OD_79
09-09-2005, 07:42 AM
If it's online then it could just be spawn lag. Someone else respawning can cause screen freezes.

OD.

Montys_Doubl3
09-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Nope, not online, just playing any single player missions. Definitely a video card problem, just can't figure out how to track down the cause.

B16Enk
09-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Dxdiag would be a good start http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Post it here please

Montys_Doubl3
09-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Thanks for that, I'll do it when the kids give me a chance. I've turned everything down to low and haven't had a crash since. Not as pretty but the pesky Hun still burn, so that's alright.

IL2-chuter
09-12-2005, 03:57 AM
check background programs/processes . . . something is probably running . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Xiolablu3
09-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Let me guess VPU recover cuts in and everything freezes onscreen, you get a message saying your Graphics adapter stopped responding?

I had this problem with a Radeon 8500, I turned on PCI IDE Busmaster in the Bios of my motherboard and the problem went away.

I am now thinking that was just luck because my next card a TI4600 started doin the same thing. To fix this I got a new case with better cooling and a higher PSU.

What wattage is your PSU? And do you have good cooling?

JunkoIfurita
09-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Yep, believe it or not the most common cause of pauses and freezes in Sturmovik is RARELY the video card's problem (Cr4p frame rates, on the other hand, definitely).

Stutter and freezes (of up to 10 seconds, even) are most often:
a) Lack of available RAM - the game stutters and freezes awfully if PF/IL2 has to start swapping into the virtual memory on your HDD.
b) Poor hard-disk throughput - when you have to swap out of virtual memory, and your disk access is slow, that's going to increase the length of each freeze and stutter as the disk access catches up.
c) CPU: processing bottlenecks are a big one.
LASTLY
d)Video Card: if you've got a god-awful card (like a MX440 64mb or a Voodoo II) you might suffer from VC related stutter. Not a chance on an X700 though, not even if it's an X700A (which is a 'dumbed down' version of the card).

I'm guessing your problem here is lack of RAM. Pacific Fighters really needs 1.5GB to run without stutter. 1 GB is okay, but 512MB is really starting to push it.

No matter how much RAM you have (unless you're running 16GB, like my ultra-geek friend. Then you'll be ok.), you could do to free up some RAM by shutting down unneccesary services in Windows XP while you play. Particularly 'Themes' (the service that makes XP look pretty and not like Win2000). Fortunately, there's a utility called FSAutoStart that can help you out with that. Do a search in the Ubi forums - there's plenty of threads that'll advise you on how to set this little app up. Don't forget to turn on the option to defragment your memory before you start the game - makes a heck of a difference.

----

Montys_Doubl3
09-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Another half Gig of RAM and a swift fiddle in BIOS it is then - much obliged guys.

B16Enk
09-13-2005, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Montys_Doubl3:
Another half Gig of RAM and a swift fiddle in BIOS it is then - much obliged guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Posting your dxdiag however is free, and may save you more hours of frustration http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-HH-Quazi
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B16Enk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Montys_Doubl3:
Another half Gig of RAM and a swift fiddle in BIOS it is then - much obliged guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Posting your dxdiag however is free, and may save you more hours of frustration http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There have been several people here lately that just flat out refuse to post their dxdiag for some reason B16ENK. I seen several m8's, including you and I, that will try to guess what the answer could be to a particular problem, and then ask for that person to post their dxdiag, and you never see it. They just keep their thread(s) alive by posting symptoms and guessing at possible fixes.

B16Enk
09-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi Quazi M8.

Nice to know we aren't being ignored, at least you and I take note of each other!

People need to realise that without the Dxdiag results everything else is pure guesswork, especially now that the kids discovered my crystal ball and are now holding it hostage pending a pocket money raise.

Silly little beggars only need to look into the ball to know that any raise I do grant is very temporary http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

T_O_A_D
09-13-2005, 09:15 AM
I moved it to Community help and shortcutted it to GD so he can find it.

And yes please post your dxdiag