PDA

View Full Version : Which one had the best feel?

Sarari
12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't wanna go into the combat system, the story line, or anything else about any AC game. What I wanted to know is which of the AC games had the best atmosphere, which one gave you a better experience, and your favorite over-all feel.

Don't let the story or gameplay change your thoughts. Just focus on the cities and everything around you and which one you enjoyed most. Here are some screenshots:
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/mynameisnotyourbusiness/views.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/mynameisnotyourbusiness/cities.jpg

notafanboy
12-18-2011, 03:45 PM
itīs either venice from ac2 or constantinople in ACR. Those 2 had the best atmosphere

JJTHoukes
12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I'd have to say Assassin's Creed 2.
Especially with the added DLC.

It's hard to exclude the story/gameplay from here.
In AC1, I felt like a videogame player. I had to complete tasks in a number of cities that looked rather simular, to me.
I do agree with a lot of players that the wind, for example, was a nice addition. But that's one of the (very) few things.

In the second game, however, I felt less like a videogame player and more like the actual character, Ezio.
We were given several different cities, like before, but this time.. you actually felt like you were visiting a different city. There were differences that could be noticed the second you entered. They felt real and recognisable.
The chatters and reactions from NPCs, the music and the shops.

ElleCore
12-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Acre and Venezia has the best atmoshperes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ProdiGurl
12-18-2011, 04:41 PM
When in Roma . . . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I did enjoy Venice in ACII - & Florence.

Edit in:
One thing that always gives off a good atmosphere wherever I am is a party or celebration of some kind. Esp. if they're at night.
I just love that.

De Filosoof
12-18-2011, 05:46 PM
AC2 without a doubt.

gamertam
12-18-2011, 05:53 PM
With all due respect to other AC titles, i will have to say AC2 overall grabbed my attention the most. Rome is darn terrific too.

itsamea-mario
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
AC1 did the whole atmosphere thing a lot better IMO.

dxsxhxcx
12-18-2011, 06:00 PM
AC1 has the best atmosphere, walk among common people in AC1 seems so natural, even with all the weapons Altair has it seems that he's one of them and could easily pass through them without being noticed, even his memories in ACR weren't able to recreate that atmosphere... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

in second comes ACR, the color the city has fits very well with Ezio's new robes, at night that feeling is simple amazing...

Animuses
12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Games: AC1 then AC2.
Cities: Acre and Venezia during Carnevale.

Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
AC1 has the best atmosphere, walk among common people in AC1 seems so natural, even with all the weapons Altair has it seems that he's one of them and could easily pass through them without being noticed, even his memories in ACR weren't able to recreate that atmosphere... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I felt the same way when I played AC1 the other day.

De Filosoof
12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
walk among common people in AC1 seems so natural, even with all the weapons Altair has it seems that he's one of them and could easily pass through them without being noticed, even his memories in ACR weren't able to recreate that atmosphere... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
True

EzioAssassin51
12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Probably AC1 and AC2 Bonfire of the Vanities Florence. You could really feel how crap Florence is with Savonarola in control.

But ACB and R gave really great feeling with their cities too, especially the darkness of Cappadoccia, giving you the true idea that this is the enemy's base and the whole sense of scale that is true to the largeness of Rome and Constantinople

E-Zekiel
12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Gonna say AC1 overall, especially Jerusalem, with Florence from AC2 coming in a close second.

Sarari
12-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I see a lot of you picked AC2. I put AC1 above all games in almost anything, but AC2 did have a great feeling to it, and the songs made it even better.

Venice was great, but it felt so depressing with the music. Florence felt like a maze and had an orangish color kind of like Rome, so that was is out. For some reason though, I used to find AC2 as a great game when it came to its atmosphere.

Rome was horrible to me. Only flashbacks make me think of its beauty when I first started the game. Other than that, I don't like it much.

Constantinople was one of the best cities in the game. I always favored Arabian cultured cities over others. They're more unique imo. And the variety of colors the people wore was great. Even the wind sound affect was a small but really good improvement to the game.

So I have to say Damascus, Istanbul, then Venice.

Mikl-90-
12-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by notafanboy:
itīs either venice from ac2 or constantinople in ACR. Those 2 had the best atmosphere

This along with Florence.

Originally posted by Sarari:
Rome was horrible to me. Only flashbacks make me think of its beauty when I first started the game. Other than that, I don't like it much.

True, while I don't think it was horrible. It gad an aggressive feel to it, from atmosphere to the music. The AC2 version of Rome looked much better and epic but it was probably because of the graphics.

Sarari
12-18-2011, 08:48 PM
The graphics in AC2 were pretty bad when it came the civilians and the main characters. I liked the texture pack used in AC1, but I guess each city had a feel to it and was meant to be changed for a reason.

Assassin_M
12-18-2011, 10:54 PM
AC I -----> Damascus
ACR -----> Cappadocia
AC II ----> Venice
ACB -----> Obviously !

masterfenix2009
12-18-2011, 11:27 PM
My all time favorite is Venice along with Florence, then Constantinople.

LordWolv
12-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Has to be Venice, ACII. No doubt.

lukaszep
12-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
Gonna say AC1 overall, especially Jerusalem, with Florence from AC2 coming in a close second.

This.
I think the cities were better designed in AC2, but the cities in AC1 were so alive.

Rome in AC:B looked very plain to me. It's an amazing city and i loved the landmarks, but it felt limp on the atmosphere. I think they should have taken a bit more artistic licence with Rome, because the concept art is extremely atmospheric.

kriegerdesgottes
12-19-2011, 04:54 AM
One feeling that I feel is missing is the genuine feeling of the animus from AC1 that made you kind of feel like you actually were seeing images from the past. Maybe it was all the smoke effect they used or the music but it gave such an awesome kind of creepy feeling that you were actually visiting memories of an ancestor that the other three games are totally missing. As far as city atmospheres, I love the feeling of AC1 in general and ACII really did a fantastic job of not only recreating the cities but really making it seem like you were in the past. Maybe it's the awesome lighting they used but ACII did an awesome job with Florence and Venice and all the cities actually. I feel like the last two games feel more just like a video game simulation instead of an actual experience. I'm probably just looking into it too much but I feel like something is missing and I can't figure out what it is.

LightRey
12-19-2011, 04:55 AM
ACII. That's the one that made me feel like I was actually reliving someone's life, instead of just several important memories.

Gil_217
12-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Undoubtedly, Assassin's Creed II. Probably the greatest game experience with the greatest atmosphere that I ever played. I just can't describe the feeling that I had when I played that game. A masterpiece. Venezia is still the best city in AC for me, it's beautiful, it just feels so good being there.

Like many others already referenced here, Ubisoft deserves acclaim for the atmosphere that they built in the Bonfire of the Vanities, just amazing and perfectly done. It was so dark, so sad, totally different from the Florence we knew. Well done Ubisoft.

TorQue1988
12-19-2011, 08:44 AM
AC 2 had the best atmosphere hands down.
Florence and Venice were amazing.

Inorganic9_2
12-19-2011, 09:10 AM
ACI had an amazing atmosphere. The gritty scenery and the tension between the crusaders and saracens was awesome.

Constantinople was also brilliant. The colours and the cultures were excellent and the Haliį was exquisite!

ACII had a pretty nice atmosphere as well tbh!

luckyto
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Can I pick a few moments?

Tops, Venice during Carnevale was absolutely spectacular. Sequence 9: Memory 8 with all the fireworks going off in the night sky is an absolute masterpiece of mood, environment and 'feel.'

A very close second, I will never forget first traveling through the Kingdom and finally coming to the top of the hill and looking down on the city of Damascus - with that great music playing in the backdrop and the whole city stretched out beneath you. It truly feels like you are from another time, when world is still young and yet massive enough to make travel matter. It still makes me smile.

Third, Jerusalem. Again sitting on the hill next to the tree overlooking the city... magic. The whole city is special. Maybe just because it is Jerusalem. I have my special requirement when I play it now - I kill noone but by target.

Fourth, the tombs/lairs in the AC2, ACB and ACR. It taps into that Indiana Jones mystique. They are almost all very well done and the mood music is phenonemal.

Fifth, Constantinople. I really like the complexity of that city.

Other honourable mentions would be the Kingdom, the Pantheon, Florenzia and sequence when you assassinate the Banker in his orgy party.

Overall, I'd give it to AC1, hands down.

Sarari
12-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I agree. Ubisoft might have made the city more realistic with people and crowds that actually do something, but AC1 still did a better job of making a city feel more alive. This goes to show that sometimes, some "improvements" lead to dis-improvements (this goes for not just the liveliness of the people).

@krieg I agree with you. AC1's texture of graphics made all the difference in the world. The music and the animus loading screen with the smoke and confusing mathematical equation crap made it seem so assassiny and gave a better experience. AC2 definitely comes second in it.

@luckyto The reason Jerusalem felt so sacred and ritual and magical is because the music, or at least for me. Have you ever heard that song without playing that game? True master piece I'm telling you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qX_WOD4EaI

I think the lighting and texture was what was unique about AC1. Personally, I think they should've stuck to it and just improved on it as the years go by.

YuurHeen
12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
ac1 masyaf

Limed_-
12-19-2011, 03:15 PM
AC1 just had the best darn awesome atmosphere you could ask for in a game.

Sarari
12-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Agreed.

luckyto
12-19-2011, 03:31 PM
The reason Jerusalem felt so sacred and ritual and magical is because the music, or at least for me. Have you ever heard that song without playing that game? True master piece I'm telling you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qX_WOD4EaI

Without a doubt. The music is a huge component of it, and the entire AC1 soundtrack is easily the best of the series. But, there are other factors.... not discounting the historical significance of the city itself.

Animuses
12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
AC1 and AC2 took place in two totally different time periods, so it's kind of hard to compare them. They both capture the essence of their time periods perfectly.

Sarari
12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I agree with Animuses. You can't really compare the 2.

I don't think the AC1 soundtrack is the best to listen to on your ipod, but when you're playing the game and the songs kick in it sounds great.

The best soundtrack in my opinion in ACR. It sounds good in game and on the ipod http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B_Crispino
12-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Can anything be more emotionally awesome than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c ? God that was a great game... also, the end of brotherhood, it kept my blood boilling

Sarari
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I think Ezio's family is over rated. I don't like it very much. Btw, that link is my signature lol.

Yairo809
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
i would have to say Florence from ac2...that city is just so gorgeous, plus it just brings back a lot of nostalgia from when i first played ac.

SixKeys
12-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Just looking at those AC1 screenshots makes me want to pop in the game again. None of the other ones make me feel quite as strongly about their respective games. There's just something special about AC1 that makes me want to dive in again and again.

luckyto
12-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
Just looking at those AC1 screenshots makes me want to pop in the game again. None of the other ones make me feel quite as strongly about their respective games. There's just something special about AC1 that makes me want to dive in again and again.

Because you can lose yourself in that world. It actually 'feels' like going into another place and time. If you have an ounce of imagination and love exploring, the original Assassin's Creed is the one of the best free-roam games ever made.

yet, some need missions and side quests fed to them like pellets in a mouse cage...

Inorganic9_2
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I forgot about the Damascus thing...

I remember I was in awe when I first reached the plateau outside Damascus, could see the entire city (Umayyad Mosque and everything) with that awesome Spirit of Damascus song playing. Just awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHRmlCbdFs

LordWolv
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Well, my first girlfriend had a good feel but then the second- COUGH

Anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

I think Ezio's family is over rated. I don't like it very much. Btw, that link is my signature lol.
I couldn't disagree more. Ezio's Family is AWESOME.

Sarari
12-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Lol well you got your opinion Isaac http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing that might stop me from going back and free roaming in AC1 is the climbing. It gets really irritating after you've played AC2 and on.

But anyways, back to the topic. AC1 did have the best feeling. I'm telling you guys, the lighting and texture for sure did the job. The soundtrack was also incredible and played a big role in giving an amazing feeling when entering each city. I think they need to bring back the old 'walking into a city and seeing the view from above in the mountains' thing. I think that's what really got me hooked up with AC1 when I first started.

wolve67
12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
i think that AC 1 had a more dirty dreading air around it, AC 2 had a more festive feel (especially florence and venice) AC 3 felt kind of Mono tone if you can use that to describe it, very little emotion or feeling. ACR had great visuals and eye candy, i especially like it when it was snowing, but constantinople itself caught me as to much like Rome, just without the parties.

Sarari
12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
I like how you used eye candy for Istanbul haha. Good metaphor.

I didn't enjoy Rome. Mostly because I rushed through the game. But I don't think I would've liked it anyway, especially the fact that it turns red and orange after burning all the Borgia towers.

JumpInTheFire13
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
AC1 and AC2 took place in two totally different time periods, so it's kind of hard to compare them. They both capture the essence of their time periods perfectly.

Animuses I think I agree with you on everything haha. And wolve67, there is no AC3 yet.

Anyways, I definitely have to say AC2 had the best atmosphere. Especially during Carnevale. I could spend hours upon hours just running (and swimming) around Venice. And songs like "Dream of Venice" are just incredible, especially when put together with that setting.

Forli/Romagna also had a great feeling. The other cities seemed so... happy, I guess. Forli was totally different, it was almost always dark and dreary. Another song in AC2 that I love is "Leonardo's Inventions Part 2." I think the reason I like it so much is because I hated it at first, since it would always play when you were in Monteriggioni, and the only time I went there was to collect money after playing for hours and having a headache haha.

Rome also had a great atmosphere. I felt so alone (ironically )in Brotherhood, especially when you first arrive there. It was overwhelming, since there'd never been a city so big in AC. And when you're climbing and jumping across the ancient pillars it's just amazing, with "Echoes of the Roman Ruins" or "Borgia - The Rulers of Rome" playing in the background. It felt so eery and creepy.

AC1's atmosphere felt totally different than anything I'd ever played before, since it was the introduction into the series. I remember when I first got to that cliff above Damascus, I actually paused the game because I wanted to show it to my mom (lol).

Sarari
12-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I actually showed my dad Damascus and Jerusalem lol. I also loved Echoes of the Roman Ruins. I think that's my favorite song on the soundtrack. I think the city looked very weird in terms of texture. I looked like it had specs of dots on every building.

lukaszep
12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I actually showed my dad Damascus and Jerusalem lol. I also loved Echoes of the Roman Ruins. I think that's my favorite song on the soundtrack. I think the city looked very weird in terms of texture. I looked like it had specs of dots on every building.

Speaking of weird textures, how weird are the rooftops in AC:R!? It can really ruin a great view, having fuzzy lines moving across rooftops in the distance (up close they're fine). I also get lines from the tiles, curving as i walk. Completely breaks immersion.

Sarari
12-21-2011, 06:00 AM
They're normal glitches meant to be from the animus. If you notice that when you renovate a shop or see a glowing person on the street, they have weird glitches on them. But it's because the animus. It's meant to be there.

lukaszep
12-21-2011, 03:29 PM
They're normal glitches meant to be from the animus. If you notice that when you renovate a shop or see a glowing person on the street, they have weird glitches on them. But it's because the animus. It's meant to be there.

Nonono. I wasn't talking about that, i think it's just my screen resolution. I was talking about the rooftop red brick textures, because they are uneven, from a distance they blur together and the shadows go all liney. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

luckyto
12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by lukaszep:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:

Nonono. I wasn't talking about that, i think it's just my screen resolution. I was talking about the rooftop red brick textures, because they are uneven, from a distance they blur together and the shadows go all liney. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the rendering engine. Revelations is actually much better at it, IMO, than AC2 or ACB.

lukaszep
12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by luckyto:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukaszep:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:

Nonono. I wasn't talking about that, i think it's just my screen resolution. I was talking about the rooftop red brick textures, because they are uneven, from a distance they blur together and the shadows go all liney. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the rendering engine. Revelations is actually much better at it, IMO, than AC2 or ACB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, thank you. You just saved me hours of pointless TV reconfiguration http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TorQue1988
12-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Ezio's Family is the best song that has ever been created for a video game.

Sarari
12-25-2011, 09:42 PM
No. So overrated. I mean, it fit a few scenes better than any other game. I think the best scene in any video game was when Ezio and his brother climbed that church and Ezio's Family played. That's when the song was amazing. Not saying that the song sucks. It's actually very good. It's just talked about to much.

ProdiGurl
12-26-2011, 05:42 AM
The only thing that might stop me from going back and free roaming in AC1 is the climbing. It gets really irritating after you've played AC2 and on.

Yep.
It's one of the aspects I appreciated about the Hookblade.

As I'm further along in ACII, I have to say that I'm appreciating the feel of ACR alot more now.

TorQue1988
12-26-2011, 07:59 AM
No. So overrated. I mean, it fit a few scenes better than any other game. I think the best scene in any video game was when Ezio and his brother climbed that church and Ezio's Family played. That's when the song was amazing. Not saying that the song sucks. It's actually very good. It's just talked about to much.
Well that's your opinion but you are in minority here, the song is simply amazing in my opinion (and almost everyone's else).

Sarari
12-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Yea I know. My favorite of all the games is either City of Jerusalem of Crossroads of the World.

oliacr
03-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Ac 2 .

ShaneO7K
03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
AC1's Damascus looked great and gave off more of a lively feeling from the streets.

Razrback16
03-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Venice Rome, and Constantinople were all very good. ACB was by the far the best overall game IMO.

mattscat16
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
AC2 no question, but AC1 isn't far behind

LightRey
03-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Old thread is old.

GeneralTrumbo
03-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Venice Rome, and Constantinople were all very good. ACB was by the far the best overall game IMO.
No it wasn't.

LightRey
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
No it wasn't.
How do you know what the guy's opinion is?

Also, OLD THREAD IS OLD.

frogger504
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Actually, AC2. loved it, it was perfect.

GeneralTrumbo
03-24-2012, 09:06 PM
How do you know what the guy's opinion is?

Also, OLD THREAD IS OLD.
http://www.taosgifts.co.uk/ekmps/shops/taos/images/everyone-is-entitled-to-my-opinion-stonewitwords-large-ceramic-mug-2200-p.jpg

Animuses
03-24-2012, 10:07 PM
@GeneralTrumbo
That's my mug...

ACB was by the far the best overall game IMO.Lol.

stingray10
03-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Constaninople, it is such a beautiful and well made city. Brotherhoood was extremely bland and boring, i loved the different atmospheres in the different districts. Assassin's Creed 2 was good, but there wasn't much of an atmosphere whilst Assassin's creed 1was very good atmosphere wise.

Jexx21
03-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Haven't played ACR yet, but from AC1-ACB, ACB was the best one...

So, no idea what you two guys are going on about.

Acrimonious_Nin
03-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Assassins creed Revelations

Dieinthedark
03-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I would have to say AC1 without a doubt had the best atmosphere. Starting down in the temple and you see Altair's stoic emotions, all of the death speeches of your targets, meeting with Al Mualim, to me it really made it feel like you were a part of the Assassin's. You just weren't an Assassin you part of the group. You weren't on top, rather you had a leader. You learned the game and you learned the Creed. The pacing showed growth in Altair's character. The colors weren't overly bright rather the gritty feel was a perfect match the the gritty atmosphere. The cities and time period were both perfect. Overall the game gave a sinister/dark/serious feel. AC2 was good as well but it was less serious/more of just being BA than anything. It made for a great game but the atmosphere was lost.

Animuses
03-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Haven't played ACR yet, but from AC1-ACB, ACB was the best one...So, no idea what you two guys are going on about.That's your OPINION. Remember what they say about opinions and ****holes... Everyone has them and they all stink, except for mine because my opinion is superior.

pirate1802
03-25-2012, 08:50 AM

^This.

lothario-da-be
03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
I can't choose 1 or 2 they are all very well done and have a good atmosphere.

KrYpToNiC95
03-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I just wanted to know when is the best time to stop the game in AC2. In terms of atmosphere in Venice I'd like to stop at a mission where the city is at its most lively state.

hotgal187
03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
ac2 coz the cortesen wos prtirer in det den da aftr vodie gams

ShaneO7K
03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
0.o

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:29 PM
What?

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I just wanted to know when is the best time to stop the game in AC2. In terms of atmosphere in Venice I'd like to stop at a mission where the city is at its most lively state.
The cities don't really change in AC2...but I do like when the carnivale mission comes up. ^_^