PDA

View Full Version : The Yips

Waldo.Pepper
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I have recently, say for the last 2 months or so, developed "the yips" in this game and don't know why.

The yips is a golfing term refering to putting.

"The yips refer to involuntary motions of the hand or wrist that can make effective putting all but impossible, even for the most experienced and talented of golfers."

In PF terms replacing putting with shooting. I can these days rarely hit anything I shoot at, unless I summon every single ounce of concentration to hit the target. I am experimenting with reducing the sensitivity of my joystick to increase the deadspot to a massive deadzone, and/or changing my firing hand to the left controller.

It is becoming very frustrating. Anyone else got anything like this?

Waldo.Pepper
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I have recently, say for the last 2 months or so, developed "the yips" in this game and don't know why.

The yips is a golfing term refering to putting.

"The yips refer to involuntary motions of the hand or wrist that can make effective putting all but impossible, even for the most experienced and talented of golfers."

In PF terms replacing putting with shooting. I can these days rarely hit anything I shoot at, unless I summon every single ounce of concentration to hit the target. I am experimenting with reducing the sensitivity of my joystick to increase the deadspot to a massive deadzone, and/or changing my firing hand to the left controller.

It is becoming very frustrating. Anyone else got anything like this?

9th_Spitin
06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
You just need some nerve tonic before you fly.

http://www.beerliquors.com/images/spirits/cuervo1800anejo.jpg

S~

Waldo.Pepper
06-28-2005, 04:53 PM
LOL Will try that bud.

3.JG51_BigBear
06-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Have you thought to stop playing for a while. I'm serious about this. I've had several surgeries on my right hand and have found that using a joystick for long periods of time causes my hand to cramp up and I start to lose the ability to make small adjustments. If I agrivate it too much I end up with a terrible shooting pain. I find that taking a rest every half hour or so and taking a week off from using a joystick every once in a while helps a lot.

RAF__Swede51
06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Hey Mate..
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.. I can't hit the broad side of a barn half the time either.. I honestly don't know how some of these guys do it.. I miss the most easiest opportunities. It's all I can do to keep from shooting the monitor (with the real thing..) sometimes.
I really think it all has to do with joysticks. I was so much better when I had a Microsoft stick..Hopelessly broken now.. Since I started using this SaitekX45 my shooting, and to a lesser degree, flying skills have deteriorated immensely. I have tried every combination of settings possible to no avail. And my domestic and ecconomic situation presently precludes me buying something else.

However, I have found that the problem is compounded by fatigue and over compensating for a bad stick. And I've even found myself 'flinching' when I pull the trigger as such. If I can stay relaxed, not make any sudden moves with the controls and constantly plan ahead, I can do the best I can do. But if the above starts happening, it isn't much fun.

And if you've noticed, this new FM is much harder to line up a shot than before, and just basic flying is a bit harder. More realistic actually.
Anyway thanks for posting this.. gave me a chance to vent a little..http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
If its wrist stuff, take proactive measures and stretch every day. Lots of different things you can do...I actually work on neck muscles more than wrists.

From what I'm told, in general more muscle mass you have around your wrists, arms, and neck, the more they are protected from repetitive stress injuries. I did have an issue with this once but I'm younger so I bounced quickly. Some folks do and some don't.

shinden1974
06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
agree with big bear, it's always amazing to me how I'll take 2-3 days off...get back on thinking I'm rusty and need practice, and I'm shooting stuff down like crazy...

Sturm_Williger
06-29-2005, 06:10 AM
It's not my hand that twitches, it's my head.

It's taken me a good few months since beginning to use TrackIR to stop jerking my head as I fire ( and losing sight if I'm zoomed in to gunsight view ).

It's coming right, but it's been a looooong slooooow process.

stathem
06-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Yep, I've even thought of it in those terms before - particularly in the psychological effect. Sometimes I'm gripped with the inability to pull the trigger, in case, as is likely, I'll miss (and wake the target up). It's particulary prevalent when I start worrying about hit ratios.

LEXX_Luthor
06-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Put down stick and fire up FMB.

majorlongshadow
06-29-2005, 10:35 AM
I took a break from online play, fired up the QMB, set ammo to unlimited and "walked" the tracers onto the hapless targets. After some practice my ability to predict deflection was restored and I shot with confidence, not with tension. I found that with the FW 190s I had been flying recently and their need to kill on the first pass, the 'pressure' to get that first burst exactly right caused me to tense up. Now, every once in a while, I do this tracer practice and it seems to be working.

Good luck!

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Try the "claw" grip. It worked for Bernhard Langer. Or maybe even a longer putter...erm...joystick.

TB

horseback
06-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Like Sturm_Williger, it's my head that jerks up when I shoot. I'm a great exponent in what is called 'body English' in the American idiom; a faith/hope that if you twist your body the way you want your shot/thrown/kicked projectile to turn/lift/drop, it will obey your 'input.'

cheers

horseback