PDA

View Full Version : Unbeatable Bargains!

ytareh
08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Had a trip north (to the UK!)todayA popular british 'high street' (well....'seedy mall'...)bookseller chain is called "Bargain Books".I got two excellent books for TWO QUID each.-both totally new and mint.1"Fighting Aircraft of WW2"/Gunston/Greenwich Editions .This looks like many video cassette sized 'Observers Guide' type books but actually contains a wealth of info including LOTS about Soviet,Italian and Japanese planes...much colour.2 "Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WW2"/Studio.Now I know a lot of people will have seen this book before ,myself included ,leafed through it ,seen nothing but black and white photos,an ancient text/typeset style and dull tiny line drawings and moved on.Well at ‚£2 I thought Id take(Jane!!!Actually the surname of a legendary -male- military journalist/publisher-like Reuters- going back to turn of 19/20th century...)it home with me .Well I guarantee you there a LOT of peoplem here who could not dream up this book on their ultimate wish list!!!It is a reprint of a kind of annual military aviation (a little civil in there too)journal.....for the year.....(?)yes folks 1946(so covers 44/45)!!!!!!That explains why it looks so superficially dull!There are about 60 pages on Engines alone....lots more on Air Forces of the nations of the world and profiles of every aircraft you could imagine and some you couldnt even dream up...In the forward Bill Gunston says he paid 3 weeks wages for the original in 1946 ...now it costs half the price of a magazine(RRP‚£25).If theres a Bargain Books in your town get down there tommorow with 4 quid!!!And both these books are well worth looking out for and paying a lot more for.

ytareh
08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Had a trip north (to the UK!)todayA popular british 'high street' (well....'seedy mall'...)bookseller chain is called "Bargain Books".I got two excellent books for TWO QUID each.-both totally new and mint.1"Fighting Aircraft of WW2"/Gunston/Greenwich Editions .This looks like many video cassette sized 'Observers Guide' type books but actually contains a wealth of info including LOTS about Soviet,Italian and Japanese planes...much colour.2 "Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WW2"/Studio.Now I know a lot of people will have seen this book before ,myself included ,leafed through it ,seen nothing but black and white photos,an ancient text/typeset style and dull tiny line drawings and moved on.Well at ‚£2 I thought Id take(Jane!!!Actually the surname of a legendary -male- military journalist/publisher-like Reuters- going back to turn of 19/20th century...)it home with me .Well I guarantee you there a LOT of peoplem here who could not dream up this book on their ultimate wish list!!!It is a reprint of a kind of annual military aviation (a little civil in there too)journal.....for the year.....(?)yes folks 1946(so covers 44/45)!!!!!!That explains why it looks so superficially dull!There are about 60 pages on Engines alone....lots more on Air Forces of the nations of the world and profiles of every aircraft you could imagine and some you couldnt even dream up...In the forward Bill Gunston says he paid 3 weeks wages for the original in 1946 ...now it costs half the price of a magazine(RRP‚£25).If theres a Bargain Books in your town get down there tommorow with 4 quid!!!And both these books are well worth looking out for and paying a lot more for.

Low_Flyer_MkII
08-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Jane's is never far from my desk - certainly adds to the immersion when you consider the original publishing date. Great price too. Enjoy.

neural_dream
08-06-2005, 04:36 PM
That's somewhere near Tottenham Court Rd or Covent Garden in London, right?

x__CRASH__x
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I'd have to know what the heck a quid is, for this to make sense. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

MEGILE
08-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Its a dyslexic Squid.

Hoarmurath
08-06-2005, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
I'd have to know what the heck a quid is, for this to make sense. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

one sterling pound

Tully__
08-06-2005, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
I'd have to know what the heck a quid is, for this to make sense. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At time of writing, 1 quid = 1.77941 bucks (US)

ytareh
08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Neural I dont know where their branches are in London but theyre all over the UK "Bargain Books" is their name....wait....I did a quick search and they are under the website bbwbooks dot co dot uk(I know visions of plump ladies....!!!)You can check the store locator there.

neural_dream
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh ok, i've bought a lot of stuff from a bookworld. Didn't know they were part of a franchise. Thanks.