PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer

mrsdoyle
11-22-2004, 12:22 PM
can someone help a complete newb without getting too geeky please? i'm not sure if i'm supposed to figure it out myself, i can't find any 'how to' files in the game, so here goes.
how do i host il2 or fb games against other players. i've gone into the multiplayer bit and got the game running, so what do i do next?
how does a mate join me? and what are the program add-ons i've seen listed which are ''server versions''? do i need them? or are they for a dedicated server machine? and if i need a dedicated server, do i join the game from another pc or play on the server? there are lots more questions, but if i can learn the basic options, once i get going i can come back for more details. be gentle with me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
11-23-2004, 02:32 AM
A couple of quick questions to help us shorten the explanation:

1. Do you plan to host for specific people, like a group of friends, or are you interested in an "all comers welcome" setup?

2. Do you have a firewall running and are you connected to the internet through a router?

mrsdoyle
11-23-2004, 06:11 AM
at first i intend to only host for specific people. 2 or 3 at most. yes i connect through a router/firewall, linksys WAG54G. the firewall is the one in the router, i don't run any software firewall.

Tully__
11-24-2004, 01:35 AM
First, as host you'll need to forward port 21000 on your router. Refer to it's documentation for instructions.

Second, you'll need to be able to identify your external IP address. This is the one that your ISP assigns to your router for the rest of the world to see, not the IP of your own computer and not the one that the router shows to your LAN. Many routers allow you to find out the external IP from the router control panel. Again, refer to your documentation.

Third, give the address to the other players. Start the game, create a server and choose cooperative or dogfight mode. At this point the other players can join. They will need to start the game, click the Multiplayer button, click the Join a Server button, put the IP address in the spot provided and click the Join button.

Choose a mission to load and load it.

If you're flying coop missions, as host you'll have to wait at this point until everyone you're expecting has joined. Once the host hits fly in coop mode, no more players can join.

Once you're ready to go, click fly and you're off.

------

Dedicated server software can be used, but AFAIK you'll need to join from another computer.

Advantages:
Thededicated server software doesn't render any graphics or have to deal with any local player input, so all the computer's resources can be devoted to managing network protocols and keeping all the players updated. This can mean very much better performance for all players on missions with lots of people.

There are some extra console functions.

Disadvantages:
You can't run coop missions on the ded server.
The Pacific Fighters dedicated server isn't released yet.
You need another computer to fly in your own server.

I'm not super familiar with the dedicated server myself, but there are a couple of very excellent threads about its use. If the search function were working properly I'd go looking myself, but its out of what ATM. Perhaps someone else can provide links?

mrsdoyle
11-29-2004, 03:30 PM
thanks Tully for a nice plain english reply. sorry to be slow in getting back to this forum, i'll test the hosting instructions and probably get back with some more questions, if that's ok.

Tully__
11-30-2004, 04:24 AM
Sure it's ok, that's why we have forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif