PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood game impressions

PantherophisG
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Alright. after many hours and quite a few frustrating parts, I have finished the single player campaign. Here are my observations of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The opening sequence was a nice revisit to the ideas of the first game. Desmond and co. searching for the apple and having issues was a great way to show some of the parallelism between the Templars and the Assassins, even in the modern age. It continues to reinforce what Lucy said in the first game. "As long as I've been here, I've learned that there is no right or wrong side. [They] both want the same thing..."

The revisit to Monteriggioni in the present day was fun. However, I wish there were more things to do during the times the Anumis prompted me to leave. Restoring the power was an interesting challenge, but you could have expanded the idea.

The story is compelling. The new game mechanics grab my attention and the characters both new and old immediately jump out and captivated me. The attack portion was well planned and sucked me into the story very well.

When reaching Rome, I had two major impressions. The first was the environment. Bright and colorful, vegetation seemed full of life. The sky was beautiful and detailed, the sun was shining, and the birds were flying everywhere. The environment would have made for an amazing travel brochure.

The second impression I had was the city. It looked dull, lifeless, as though the heart and soul of what made the city and it's community had been taken away.

It is very difficult to make an environment that portrays both these ideas in such a clear manner side by side with visuals alone. It was very well done as it was also very satisfying to see the city slowly progress to match the feel of the environment as I went around restoring it.

The sounds of Rome and the surrounding countryside were every bit as enveloping as the environment was. The background hustle and bustle, citizens talking on the streets changing from voices of fear to support of the Assassins, and the background music helped to enrich the environment every bit as the slowly evolving visuals.

I did enjoy the older Ezio. He was portrayed very well through the cut scenes in the game, however his movement visuals seemed almost copied from the last game. When climbing, free-running, fighting and even walking, the Ezio of this game felt just like the Ezio of AC2. The only part of his physical "change" it felt was the added grunts and groans of pain as I would accidently jump off a building, which I did enjoy as it reflected how he physically should feel at this age.

I did like Ezio's new rodes. They still held the Renaissance style while at the same time returning to a more "monk like" look that made Altair so intriguing.

I like the new fighting system. It's easy it's easy to get into while also having layers of complexity that allow for some truly amazing combo kills and camera angles. There were, however, surprisingly few chances to use this new and improved system, due to a lot of the full-sync challenges. I would like to see more utilization of this fighting system in future installments.

The full-sync challenges were an amazing addition to the game. I found myself restarting stages three, four, sometimes even five times (or in the case of the friggin tank I STILL have to go back) just to get it absolutely perfect. Especially nerve-wracking were the "Do not be detected" challenges. However, with the "Kill with [X] weapon" I would like to see more variety in weapons used in those missions.

I enjoyed the side missions in this game being divided by guild. The small tie-in made the side missions feel more part of the experience than just tacked on for extra things to do. I liked the revitalization of the "Save the Citizen" side missions to hire the recruits, and I liked the idea of making recruitment an option to be used or ignored in the overall game, however, I feel that at least some of the Borgia towers should have been integrated into the DNA as either side or storyline missions, in my personal view, a mixture of both would have been the best course. Doing so would have allowed for a slightly longer story, the ability to replay towers, and still would have let players have the option of destroying towers and hiring recruits.

The biggest thing I keep wondering is "Where are the trophies?" Sure there are trophies for completing DNA sequences and for collecting feathers and flags, burning the towers and destroying war machines, but there could have been additional full-sync trophies. Bronze for completion, silver for full-sync completion (or gold for full-sync DNA sequences). Additional trophies for hiring and promoting recruits to assassin level could have been added, as could have been trophies for completing the guild challenges. There could have been a trophy for completing the Christina memories. The virtual training section could have been utilized better by adding additional trophies for those challenges.

This game was huge and the trophy list does not adequately reflect the size and scope of the game, nor does it reflect the dedication one has to put into 100% completion. I'm currently at about 50 hours with 99.5% completion (friggin tank).

Overall, the best Assassin's Creed yet. I like how big this went and I want to see how much bigger the Anvil engine can go at some point. Maybe not the Assassin's Creed franchise, but some time.

As for the setup into AC3, I was intrigued by the way the ending unfolded and the way the truth was revealed. I'm interested to see where Desmond's story goes next and which ancestor, if any, he'll visit in the upcoming installment.

PantherophisG
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Alright. after many hours and quite a few frustrating parts, I have finished the single player campaign. Here are my observations of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The opening sequence was a nice revisit to the ideas of the first game. Desmond and co. searching for the apple and having issues was a great way to show some of the parallelism between the Templars and the Assassins, even in the modern age. It continues to reinforce what Lucy said in the first game. "As long as I've been here, I've learned that there is no right or wrong side. [They] both want the same thing..."

The revisit to Monteriggioni in the present day was fun. However, I wish there were more things to do during the times the Anumis prompted me to leave. Restoring the power was an interesting challenge, but you could have expanded the idea.

The story is compelling. The new game mechanics grab my attention and the characters both new and old immediately jump out and captivated me. The attack portion was well planned and sucked me into the story very well.

When reaching Rome, I had two major impressions. The first was the environment. Bright and colorful, vegetation seemed full of life. The sky was beautiful and detailed, the sun was shining, and the birds were flying everywhere. The environment would have made for an amazing travel brochure.

The second impression I had was the city. It looked dull, lifeless, as though the heart and soul of what made the city and it's community had been taken away.

It is very difficult to make an environment that portrays both these ideas in such a clear manner side by side with visuals alone. It was very well done as it was also very satisfying to see the city slowly progress to match the feel of the environment as I went around restoring it.

The sounds of Rome and the surrounding countryside were every bit as enveloping as the environment was. The background hustle and bustle, citizens talking on the streets changing from voices of fear to support of the Assassins, and the background music helped to enrich the environment every bit as the slowly evolving visuals.

I did enjoy the older Ezio. He was portrayed very well through the cut scenes in the game, however his movement visuals seemed almost copied from the last game. When climbing, free-running, fighting and even walking, the Ezio of this game felt just like the Ezio of AC2. The only part of his physical "change" it felt was the added grunts and groans of pain as I would accidently jump off a building, which I did enjoy as it reflected how he physically should feel at this age.

I did like Ezio's new rodes. They still held the Renaissance style while at the same time returning to a more "monk like" look that made Altair so intriguing.

I like the new fighting system. It's easy it's easy to get into while also having layers of complexity that allow for some truly amazing combo kills and camera angles. There were, however, surprisingly few chances to use this new and improved system, due to a lot of the full-sync challenges. I would like to see more utilization of this fighting system in future installments.

The full-sync challenges were an amazing addition to the game. I found myself restarting stages three, four, sometimes even five times (or in the case of the friggin tank I STILL have to go back) just to get it absolutely perfect. Especially nerve-wracking were the "Do not be detected" challenges. However, with the "Kill with [X] weapon" I would like to see more variety in weapons used in those missions.

I enjoyed the side missions in this game being divided by guild. The small tie-in made the side missions feel more part of the experience than just tacked on for extra things to do. I liked the revitalization of the "Save the Citizen" side missions to hire the recruits, and I liked the idea of making recruitment an option to be used or ignored in the overall game, however, I feel that at least some of the Borgia towers should have been integrated into the DNA as either side or storyline missions, in my personal view, a mixture of both would have been the best course. Doing so would have allowed for a slightly longer story, the ability to replay towers, and still would have let players have the option of destroying towers and hiring recruits.

The biggest thing I keep wondering is "Where are the trophies?" Sure there are trophies for completing DNA sequences and for collecting feathers and flags, burning the towers and destroying war machines, but there could have been additional full-sync trophies. Bronze for completion, silver for full-sync completion (or gold for full-sync DNA sequences). Additional trophies for hiring and promoting recruits to assassin level could have been added, as could have been trophies for completing the guild challenges. There could have been a trophy for completing the Christina memories. The virtual training section could have been utilized better by adding additional trophies for those challenges.

This game was huge and the trophy list does not adequately reflect the size and scope of the game, nor does it reflect the dedication one has to put into 100% completion. I'm currently at about 50 hours with 99.5% completion (friggin tank).

Overall, the best Assassin's Creed yet. I like how big this went and I want to see how much bigger the Anvil engine can go at some point. Maybe not the Assassin's Creed franchise, but some time.

As for the setup into AC3, I was intrigued by the way the ending unfolded and the way the truth was revealed. I'm interested to see where Desmond's story goes next and which ancestor, if any, he'll visit in the upcoming installment.