PDA

View Full Version : Booming and zooming technique question

drose01
01-07-2005, 10:38 AM
When B and Z'ing (to me, swooping on low aircraft and reaching high speed to hit and then fast climb away), how do people generally execute the end of their post-attack climb?

Specifically, how slow do you let your plane get before you level out or redive?

Also, how do you maneuver at the moment of transition from climb to redive?

When attacking bombers and very slow planes, it doesnt seem to make a difference, but when in a melee with fighters, I find that the apex of my climb, when I slow down, is when I am most vulnerable to attack by other planes.

Of course it would be safe to make sure noone has anyone near my altitude or energy before B and Zing to begin with, but in a big melee it can be hard to know who is doing what.

Diablo310th
01-07-2005, 10:47 AM
What i try to do after my attack and i'm zooming back up is to go into a climbing turn. I try to turn and keep my eye on my opponent as I climb back up. I try to make my turn in teh same direction the enemy is going or turning to. I don't always zoom all the way back up tho. If i see that I can swoop back down into position after a short climb and have the energy to maintain my attack i will. eventually tho this will cost you all or most of your energy advantage then you must break off and extend.

MEGILE
01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
In the P-47 you have to be very anal about keeping your energy.
I will dive, preferbly at a rather steep angle, spray the enemy and then go in to a 45 degree climb, untill I slow down to my best climbing speed.
This is without turning. Turning wastes precious energy. In the P-47 you have to select your fights carefuly.
You could choose to go vertical, come down on him again and even whack him.. but you could find yourself with a BF-109 on your 6. YOu just wasted a whole load of altitude and energy, and you are tangling with fighters which grab air faster than you do. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

If zooming and booming in the BF-109, I'll often just go vertical and come back down as quickly as possibly ontop of him.

Again it depends on the area. If there is a furball nearby, zoom back up, grab some more alt and repeat in 5 mins.
If the area is empty, then you can just waste that bit of energy to get him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for staying above the fight, get high, and do a nice wide arc, so you can keep your eye on the fight but loose as little energy as possible. Also this is a good time to chill the engine. Rads open, and throttle back to 75%.

Stiglr
01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Yep, all good answers. To make them short: it's situation-dependent.

If you have good visibility out of your plane and excellent situational awareness, and ascertain that the target you just "boomed" is the highest threat, you can be fairly aggressive about your reversal. Since you had a big energy advantage on him when you dove in and attacked, he's not likely to put his nose up and catch you in a climb (*cough* a few flight models excepted *cough*). So, "staying fast" isn't necessarily a big priority.

On the other hand, in a large, swirling dogfight, you might have many threats, some new ones you didn't notice while you were making your attack, etc. Or you may have wingmen that you need to keep track of. In these cases, that's where speed is your friend. Make your exit zoom shallower and burn less energy. Extend further to be sure you're safe before you go back to the attack. Get a better look at your surroundings.

F19_Ob
01-07-2005, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drose01:
When B and Z'ing (to me, swooping on low aircraft and reaching high speed to hit and then fast climb away), how do people generally execute the end of their post-attack climb?

Specifically, how slow do you let your plane get before you level out or redive?

Also, how do you maneuver at the moment of transition from climb to redive?

When attacking bombers and very slow planes, it doesnt seem to make a difference, but when in a melee with fighters, I find that the apex of my climb, when I slow down, is when I am most vulnerable to attack by other planes.

Of course it would be safe to make sure noone has anyone near my altitude or energy before B and Zing to begin with, but in a big melee it can be hard to know who is doing what. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer to your question is that people do it differently and how high one climbs also depends on situation, presence of enemies and so on.
A good thing to practice for a BnZ'er is lowspeed handling without flipping or spinning.
One way to practice is to climb until speed is low and then try to turn the plane downwards as fast as possible. To start with use only elevator and ailerons and NOT rudder since rudder input in slow speed can result in an uncontrollable spinn in some planes.
I always start with these tests when I fly unfamiliar planes and since i do it frequently I faster get a hang of new planes.
I noticed that I myself "thought" I could do these things without practice but I really cant.
So test yourself.
Many BnZ planes are bad turners and therefore a good turningability makes up for many things and sometimes a lesser turn will be enough.

HOW HIGH?
A plane with less E wont be able to climb well after u and Diablo mentioned the climbing turn or spiralclimb, wich is very effective in this situation. The spiral makes the pursuer lose the last of his E because he must draw deflection on u in the climb and if the separation is great he must draw more and thus expend his Energy.

So if u as the attacker can keep the climb going and can handle your ship in slow speeds, then U have a big advantage and can wait for the pursuer to level out.
The teqnique can only be mastered through practise and experience and U must also know wich opponents u can spiral from safely and wich ones u should be more careful with.
U are ofcourse vulnerable when u are slow on top of the climb and there is no reason to climb more than nescessary like diablo said, but its a risky business and your target is in even greater risk.

Its possible to BnZ planes in a furball but be sure to BnZ the ones on top and not below.
If U have a wingman he can guard your attack and pick off fighters that comes in or the ones climbing after u.
That tactic is used online even if they aren't wingmen. someone in the friendly team dives after the enemy on your tail.

This seems to work best with axis flyers. Perhaps because they from start loved altitude and thus were high together, like in a group.

a few thoughts

F19_Ob
01-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Darn they all got in before me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

geetarman
01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Just a quick word on the subject. I prefer to bounce from a 6:00 position and then break away at the last moment.

Watch gun cam films - most times the bouncing pilot does not fly past his target. That's a sure way to get hit as you fly out in front of him, even if climbing or diving.

Don't turn too hard, but, yes break, and get outta Dodge. Use a gentle climb and maintain speed. Try to get 180 degrees from his direction of travel as you climb away.