PDA

View Full Version : AC stuff

Radiax0
06-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Heya everybody! Did ya guys miss me? I sure missed you like crazy... All your flamin' 'n' all. It seems like every time I come here I have a bunch of critics for you. Well, to relief you of curiosity, that hasn't changed. I've acquired the game from a friend and tested it a little... To tell you the truth, I am addicted to jumping from roofs and stuff like that. That's absolutely terrific... Unfortunately, the things I've pointed out in the past haven't changed a lot...

Let's start from AI, shall we? Artificial Intelligence has really disappointed me, again. For example, the old stuff... I run past a gaurd on a horse and the whole national guard is after me... I attempt to enter the city, the guards push me away, I say cool, let's found an alternative route... I see a freestyle path that goes right above their heads... They look at me as I jump around and loudly enter the city... And the best thing is, they ask themselves in an endless loop "what is he doing". Furthermore, those tedious side quests where you free citizens from corrupted soldiers... They are like all the time: "you dare stealing my treasure?! That will cost you your life!", over and over again, and just push the entity around. Wouldn't it be clever that the soldier after a specific time has elapsed end it's sorry life?

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen was the combat with soldiers... Either they are very fair (one on one) or very stupid... I kill them one by one, and the others just put their hands around the head terrified and when I kill almost everyone, the last one always tries to escape. Dynamic and challenging, yeah right. There's a lot more stuff here, as I've said before, I need to write a bible about it.

Off to the graphics engine now... Redefining the next-gen? I have a quad core Intel processor, 8800GTS 640 MB in SLi, 4 GB of RAM and the latest drivers... We are talking about maximum settings! I start the game and enter the magical world of Assassin's Creed... And on the first mission I noticed something that really poked my eye... It looks like swap chain tearing, but very small in diameter and frequent, like some stripes... Cannot really describe it, but it looks very nasty and deforms the output of models. I know that some of you will say it's the effect of Animus, however... Whatever. And I would like to commend the technical director with a medal... I just love the mix of high-detail models and low-level junk which 10-year old kids create as they study Blender or somethin'. I threw in an example... So, the overall of the room looks nice, cold and very techie... And now this. I am not a big fan of using leet language, but omg wtf rotflol. Who could of left this unattended... Look at this access panel, my little brother modeled nicer things while I was teaching him.

http://www.imagesforme.com/out.php/t75198_gdmn.jpg (http://www.imagesforme.com/show.php/75198_gdmn.jpg)

Last of all, the terrain from high points... It looks so deformed, low res, and the skybox behind the generated terrain is so crushing the realism. The whole game is so tedious by doing those damn murders, practically, it's a 9x copy/paste. The only thing I could really commend is the jumping from a building to building, minimal, but still an implementation of Havok physics and that's 'bout it.

I love your MoCap fellows and the voice acting... And the end game... Shame on you guys.

I would like to hear your comments, especially if some of the devs got some cute excuses. Don't flame because that doesn't tick me off, by doing so, you are just showing your (dis)ability to confront different opinions and cast a dark shadow over your reputation.

Radiax0
06-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Heya everybody! Did ya guys miss me? I sure missed you like crazy... All your flamin' 'n' all. It seems like every time I come here I have a bunch of critics for you. Well, to relief you of curiosity, that hasn't changed. I've acquired the game from a friend and tested it a little... To tell you the truth, I am addicted to jumping from roofs and stuff like that. That's absolutely terrific... Unfortunately, the things I've pointed out in the past haven't changed a lot...

Let's start from AI, shall we? Artificial Intelligence has really disappointed me, again. For example, the old stuff... I run past a gaurd on a horse and the whole national guard is after me... I attempt to enter the city, the guards push me away, I say cool, let's found an alternative route... I see a freestyle path that goes right above their heads... They look at me as I jump around and loudly enter the city... And the best thing is, they ask themselves in an endless loop "what is he doing". Furthermore, those tedious side quests where you free citizens from corrupted soldiers... They are like all the time: "you dare stealing my treasure?! That will cost you your life!", over and over again, and just push the entity around. Wouldn't it be clever that the soldier after a specific time has elapsed end it's sorry life?

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen was the combat with soldiers... Either they are very fair (one on one) or very stupid... I kill them one by one, and the others just put their hands around the head terrified and when I kill almost everyone, the last one always tries to escape. Dynamic and challenging, yeah right. There's a lot more stuff here, as I've said before, I need to write a bible about it.

Off to the graphics engine now... Redefining the next-gen? I have a quad core Intel processor, 8800GTS 640 MB in SLi, 4 GB of RAM and the latest drivers... We are talking about maximum settings! I start the game and enter the magical world of Assassin's Creed... And on the first mission I noticed something that really poked my eye... It looks like swap chain tearing, but very small in diameter and frequent, like some stripes... Cannot really describe it, but it looks very nasty and deforms the output of models. I know that some of you will say it's the effect of Animus, however... Whatever. And I would like to commend the technical director with a medal... I just love the mix of high-detail models and low-level junk which 10-year old kids create as they study Blender or somethin'. I threw in an example... So, the overall of the room looks nice, cold and very techie... And now this. I am not a big fan of using leet language, but omg wtf rotflol. Who could of left this unattended... Look at this access panel, my little brother modeled nicer things while I was teaching him.

http://www.imagesforme.com/out.php/t75198_gdmn.jpg (http://www.imagesforme.com/show.php/75198_gdmn.jpg)

Last of all, the terrain from high points... It looks so deformed, low res, and the skybox behind the generated terrain is so crushing the realism. The whole game is so tedious by doing those damn murders, practically, it's a 9x copy/paste. The only thing I could really commend is the jumping from a building to building, minimal, but still an implementation of Havok physics and that's 'bout it.

I love your MoCap fellows and the voice acting... And the end game... Shame on you guys.

I would like to hear your comments, especially if some of the devs got some cute excuses. Don't flame because that doesn't tick me off, by doing so, you are just showing your (dis)ability to confront different opinions and cast a dark shadow over your reputation.

BTOG46
06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
*Yawns, with boredom*
same old style..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
*wanders off to read more interesting posts*

Bobfish_Almight
06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif for someone who doesn't like the game it seems to hold a great amount of importance in your life. It's just a game dude. No need to get all bent out of shape over it

cooldude6681
06-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Wait wait wait, hold up. What exactly is wrong with that access panel?

Kaxen6
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude6681:
Wait wait wait, hold up. What exactly is wrong with that access panel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he was pointing out that it looks crude.

cooldude6681
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Crude? Nah...'futuristic' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

drego5
06-03-2008, 12:45 AM
He wanted it to be wireless.

Or one that shoots red-hot melting lasers at you. Either way.

Radiax0
06-03-2008, 01:29 AM
This game doesn't hold a great importance in my life. I take issue with the developers who over-hype their games and in the end disappoint gamers. It's the same as if I were selling you a house and I told you that it has a full HD screen, kitchen that has a wireless interface to the Internet... And in the end you find that it's an old shack. Lovely feelin' huh?

@drego5 - first of all, lasers don't shoot, that's a light amplification, so it's rather transmitted from a source towards the subjects radiating the target at a certain frequency and a stabile wave length (concentrated photons). And the fact that it will melt you depends on it's frequency and wave length configuration. So no, I don't want lasers shooting out at me, I as a gamer want to be taken into consideration, not something you can manipulate into buying games that bring you money. All you had to do is to use a couple of textures, few extra minutes and it would all look nicer... Even if it takes months, what's the big deal? Your only ideal is to satisfy the customer.

Don't get this the wrong way, this is not a "letter" from a lunatic, more from a disappointed gamer....

moqqy
06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
: D

FYTJ
06-03-2008, 02:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radiax0:
This game doesn't hold a great importance in my life. I take issue with the developers who over-hype their games and in the end disappoint gamers. It's the same as if I were selling you a house and I told you that it has a full HD screen, kitchen that has a wireless interface to the Internet... And in the end you find that it's an old shack. Lovely feelin' huh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you can compare this game to a house then it does hold a great importance in your life.

@Moqqy: :O

GreyFlame
06-03-2008, 02:16 AM
I think the only one who's disappointed is you, Radiax...

Radiax0
06-03-2008, 02:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreyFlame:
I think the only one who's disappointed is you, Radiax... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I can't argue on that... This "new generation" will play everything you throw at them.

@FYTJ - Nah, not really.... One of the thing which surprised me is that developers and the publisher praise their mark on the gamespot's review, the ad-powered site which would say that you can play a guitar without strings if you pay good money ( the example of Eidos ).

Perhaps I am the only disappointed user here, however I sincerely doubt it... I would love to hear constructive opinions from other members of this forum. Meanwhile, I have a composite with KNO3 in the backyard, I must attend to it.

GreyFlame
06-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Have fun... I guess.

ScytheOfGrim
06-03-2008, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> *Yawns, with boredom*
same old style..... Indifferent
*wanders off to read more interesting posts* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only sign of intellect in this thread... well, this and moqqy's post...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> : D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

moqqy
06-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Naturally, becoming aware of the unlimited potential of this readily available, yet truly effective smiley allows you to start immediately to begin experiencing the inner sense of realizing how completely this icon fits your needs through your life without undergoing a lenghty lesson. This quick course causes you to immediately grasp the whole content of the icon. And, as you completely absorb it, it will cause you to immediately accept it at the deepest levels because it is completely natural.

FYTJ
06-03-2008, 04:13 AM
I suddenly feel the urge to wildly and intensely glomp you.

ScytheOfGrim
06-03-2008, 04:22 AM
... you used "immediately" three times in one post...

And it dragged my immediate attention...

moqqy
06-03-2008, 04:31 AM
But it is a powerful word!

ScytheOfGrim
06-03-2008, 04:41 AM
It is!

And so is "spontaneous"... &gt;_&gt;

Bobfish_Almight
06-03-2008, 04:49 AM
The hype came from the media (and a rabid bunch of salivating, pre-pubescent boys when they saw Jade Raymond), not Ubisoft. And is a prime example of exactly why I ignore the hype. Nothing can ever be as good as the media painted Creed to be. And, personally, I could care less about the graphics. They are of absoloutely no impact on a game to me at all. Scripting and plot development are all that matter to me

Radiax0
06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bobfish_Almight:
The hype came from the media (and a rabid bunch of salivating, pre-pubescent boys when they saw Jade Raymond), not Ubisoft. And is a prime example of exactly why I ignore the hype. Nothing can ever be as good as the media painted Creed to be. And, personally, I could care less about the graphics. They are of absoloutely no impact on a game to me at all. Scripting and plot development are all that matter to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for a mature answer, a thing that some of this forum's members cannot grasp. I agree on the fact that graphical "failures" can be taken to the side, partially neglected, but with that out of the way, what still remains is the whole gameplay, the plot and the whole idea sound nice, but the end is really crappy and doesn't make sense (reminds me of Crysis) and the missions are really tedious... As I've already said... It looks like a 9x copy/paste.

As of the hype and the fact that the producer is a female, on that I disagree... The hype created around Jade Raymond is a whole different matter... Even silly and stupid to a point, what's wrong with a girl being interested into computer science and games. Nonsense, what I am referring to is the hype that, respectfully, miss the producer Raymond produced about Assassin's Creed. I remark on her words, not the things that the press pushed forward later. All the time, she's talking about the redefinition of next-gen gaming, a new "fresh" ground-breaking technology and exciting combat. To tell you the truth, I had more excitement when a puddle chased me 3 blocks around the city than with the combat in AC. Although, I must say, what I like about those interviews is her tendency to use the word 'like' all the time.

Selur_Riatla
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I can only partly agree with you.
Truth be told, you're right. The AI are rather arrogant (though sometimes this can be amusing. Once I had a lone scholar following me around for no reason. I walked, he walked, I ran, he ran.) And they are repetitive (several times yesterday a guard harrassing a citizen repeated the same phrase at least four times in a row. This grew annoying.)
Now I do not have the PC version, so I do not know of it's graphic issues, but I can assure that the console versions are perfectly fine.

Though overall I find the game great. The story line is fine, and as stated many times, graphics don't make the game; so it shouldn't really matter.

As for the media hype? To be honest, I rarely ever heard of AC until I played it. Maybe I just didn't notice it because I was uninterested in the game at first? Yeah, when the game first game out I was skeptical of it. Even when my brother borrowed it from his friend and I watched him play (and played it abit myself) I was still skeptical. It was only until after I got the game myself and played it out of boredom (and a desire to just randomly stab people and jump off buildings) did I really notice how great a game it is.

And you're right, jumping from roof to roof is fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif