PDA

View Full Version : New computer graphics setup

Milner62
11-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok. I think i settled on what im going to do IF im able to get the graphics card i want installed on this computer.

Im going with two 1,024MB RAM memory sticks to bump my ram up to 2.48GB of RAM memory (Max for this PC) considering the way the computer is setup the RAM is used by the graphics card also.

Then get a ATI Radeon AGP 9600 PRO with 256MB.
(was told to go with a X8 speed graphics card to gain the most out of performance if otherwise let me know before i go around geting the parts on wed.)

I also recently heard from someone my 200 GHz Front Bus speed will cause Silent Hunter III to run slow is that true?

How dose everyone think Silent Hunter III with a good number of add-ons included will run with that setup?

Good, Great, Okay? and will the graphics be up to par with 100% highest settings on the graphics menu?

Thanks in advance

Milner62
11-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok. I think i settled on what im going to do IF im able to get the graphics card i want installed on this computer.

Im going with two 1,024MB RAM memory sticks to bump my ram up to 2.48GB of RAM memory (Max for this PC) considering the way the computer is setup the RAM is used by the graphics card also.

Then get a ATI Radeon AGP 9600 PRO with 256MB.
(was told to go with a X8 speed graphics card to gain the most out of performance if otherwise let me know before i go around geting the parts on wed.)

I also recently heard from someone my 200 GHz Front Bus speed will cause Silent Hunter III to run slow is that true?

How dose everyone think Silent Hunter III with a good number of add-ons included will run with that setup?

Good, Great, Okay? and will the graphics be up to par with 100% highest settings on the graphics menu?

Thanks in advance

Tontoman666
11-21-2005, 09:14 PM
The 2GB if RAM is nice but not needed. You should only be using the video RAM on your vid card and never the system RAM (unless your have a tiny old vid card). Having your PC dumping vid info onto system memory will kill performance. The 256MB on the vid card is fine.

So if you want better performance for the same price I'd only go with 1GB RAM and upgrade the card, to a 9800 pro or X800/X850 as the 9600 is a little weak nowdays. Also the 4x or 8x AGP stuff makes little real difference.

Also your 200FSB is fine, mines the old 133 and no prob. As long as you have the CPU and decent RAM (ie. 1GB) then performance for games is 90% videocard.

Milner62
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
I just figured out that since my graphics card is intergrated into the ram im losing 64 MB of ram to my RAM so instead of 512 MB its 448 so way how i understand it is going with the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB AGP I should gain back the 64 MB I lossed and should have 512 MB back again, If the game will run on 512 fine i guess i can get by on that till i have the 120 extra to get the two 512 MB RAM memory sticks cause i was thinking big and not price wise at the time dont care to spend 800 bucks for two 512 MB ram sticks lol

Also im running 2.210 GHz CPU speed so im fine there its just the ram and graphics card im not too sure of could support the game and considering this will be the last game i vow to buy (unless they come out with a even better silent hunter involving german U-boats that is lol)

Thanks for the post guess its the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256 MB AGP for $129.90, and the two 512 MB RAM sticks for $120.00 total so im looking at $249.90 Total for everything but i have to tack on 40 bucks considering this is intergrated graphics card and will require more knowledge than i have to have the computer place install that, but i can do the ram myself and save me a extra 40 bucks for the ram stick installation.

Tontoman666
11-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Yep, if you get the vid card you'll get back that 64MB of RAM. But certainly try it with just 512 as it will still be a HUGE improvement over the intergrated vid card.

BTW , if you already have 512MB of RAM on the PC, why do you need two sticks of 512? Replacing two sticks of 256MB? Yeah if you're not doing other games the 9600 pro would be fine.

Might want to give installing the video card yourself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. You would just have to first disable the onboard video in your bios setup (the more difficult step if you haven't done bios stuff before but not bad if you have the motherboard manual) and plug the video card into the AGP slot. That's actually easier than doing RAM as it usually fits in easier with less force and with more room to work with heh.

T.

Schiffmorder
11-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I run on 512MB with a 2.2GhZ AMD and radeon 128 vid. I do fine, but have found instances, usually when on the tower, if I am panning around the game slows and starts to page swap, therefore I do think for you a ram upgrade of at least another 256meg is good, 512 is better and leaves you room for the future. Santa is going to bring me more memory I think. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
And truly, do NOT be afraid of your computer, if you can plug in the memory, you can most certainly plug in a vid card. Unless you have some truly wacky off the wall set up it should be very straightforward. You never did say what make your puter was. Also I dont know why you would have to change your bios yourself. I believe the install software that comes with your card will do this. I have never had to change bios after doing a card install.

Milner62
11-22-2005, 01:56 AM
lol My christmas and b-day money is going to the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO graphics card for 129.90 and for the two 512 MB of ram sticks im going with two cause i have other games i play also and just to be safe. better to have more than not enough.

By the way its a Compaq Presario has 2.20 GHz of pc speed and all the bells and everything just not the ram or graphic cards, im shooting for the 1GB of ram so it will improve game play for my Half-life2 and the Half-Life2 revelations and the Half-Life2 lost coast editions when they finaly do come out.