PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52 with TrakIR (Hot key assignment)

bmoffa
05-21-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure if this is related to the X52 mini keyboard driver or the TrakIR Head Tracker driver. I've been using the TrakIR for a while without the following problem. Since installing the X52 the hot key I use to center the TrakIR seems to get changed. That is, the key press sends a different sequence which the TrakIR doesn't see. For example: I use the spacebar as the TrakIR center hot key. After I use the X52 the hot key (space) no longer works. If I go into the TrakIR configuration to change the hot key and press the spacebar, it thinks I pressed ALT+Space or CTRL+Space. Yes, about 50% of the time is ALT and 50% CTRL. If I then press ALT+Space once then try setting the hot key again with just the spacebar it gets the correct sequence. It seems that the ALT or CTRL gets sticky. During the game, if the space doesn't work I hit ALT+Space (or CTRL+Space) then hit space again and it works.

I know this is confusing. I do a lot of Windows software deveopmet where direct keyboard input is used and I have never run into anything like this.

bmoffa
05-21-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure if this is related to the X52 mini keyboard driver or the TrakIR Head Tracker driver. I've been using the TrakIR for a while without the following problem. Since installing the X52 the hot key I use to center the TrakIR seems to get changed. That is, the key press sends a different sequence which the TrakIR doesn't see. For example: I use the spacebar as the TrakIR center hot key. After I use the X52 the hot key (space) no longer works. If I go into the TrakIR configuration to change the hot key and press the spacebar, it thinks I pressed ALT+Space or CTRL+Space. Yes, about 50% of the time is ALT and 50% CTRL. If I then press ALT+Space once then try setting the hot key again with just the spacebar it gets the correct sequence. It seems that the ALT or CTRL gets sticky. During the game, if the space doesn't work I hit ALT+Space (or CTRL+Space) then hit space again and it works.

I know this is confusing. I do a lot of Windows software deveopmet where direct keyboard input is used and I have never run into anything like this.

Klemm.co
05-21-2007, 08:30 AM
I had something similar some time ago. Cant remember the details now, but i fixed it by assigning a key to the centering funtion and then assigning that key to a button on my X-52. Its now on the coolie hat on the throttle which is regulated by the index finger. Much more convenient that way too.
And make sure that this key you assign is not already used by the game.

horseback
05-21-2007, 08:32 AM
I have a CH Pro Throttle myself, but I believe that the general principle is the same. I try to keep it as simple as possible, so I simply set the default TrackIR4 'Center' command (F8 or F12?-it's been a while since I used it as a Function Key) as part of my CH profile that I activate before I start flying. That way, the Function keys can still be used for their basic settings, and I'm not reassigning everything in sight on my ingame Controls menu.

It sounds to me as though your setup might be a bit too busy; are you using multiple Modes on your X52? If you don't have a specific assignment for the Spacebar in Mode 2 or 3, it might not work the way you want after changing modes.

Hope this hasn't confused you further.

cheers

horseback

SithSpeeder
05-21-2007, 08:42 AM
It's possible you've activated the "Sticky Key" function of windoze (google "sticky key function", maybe in one of your profiles which sends a repeated key command using ALT, SHIFT, CTRL, or something. In other words, use key combos for things that are occasionally toggled. I prefer to keep as much of the default key settings of IL2 as-is, just in case it the game gets scrambled and I have to reload it (I believe SPACEBAR is one of the fire keys).

Tracking down weirdness like this (mapping conflicts) takes time and is a bit frustrating.

My recommendation would be to change the auto-centering to something like F10, instead, and move on with your life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

Yellow_Sub
05-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Have you bound some commands to the precision slider? If they aren't created as 'advanced commands' they will always be active and therefore interfere with key commands and xp.