PDA

View Full Version : London...Imperial War Museum

Heliopause
02-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Info needed...
Is it any good? Hold's it some WWII airplanes or should I visit another museum whilst being in the capital?

Heliopause
02-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Info needed...
Is it any good? Hold's it some WWII airplanes or should I visit another museum whilst being in the capital?

ParaB
02-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Its main attraction aren't planes, for those you better go to Duxford, but otherwise it is a very interesting museum. Liked it a lot when I visited it last year, would definitely recommed it.

WOLFMondo
02-18-2006, 02:53 AM
RAF Hendon is in north London, IMHO its better then the IWM because it has allot more planes! And allot more interesting ones you won't see anywhere else.

Now if they'd just take the Tempest down from the ceiling and paint it in something other than target tug colours....

JG52Uther
02-18-2006, 03:18 AM
IWM is interesting,but for aircraft,the RAF museum in Hendon is the one:
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/index.cfm

Friendly_flyer
02-18-2006, 03:41 AM
You certainly seem to get around a lot!

My advice, while you are in England, visits all of them. Duxford is great, Hendon en marvellous, but the Imperial war museum is wonderful if you're into red jackets, Martini-Henry rifles and possibly the largest collection of 19th century millitaria in the world (like I am).

jolly_magpie
02-18-2006, 03:46 AM
Good lord yes!!! There's a P-51, Spit and Fw190 hanging above the main area, they also have a chunk of Zero, a Halifax Cockpit you can go into, and Rudolf Hesses Me110 fuselage. Dont miss the basement, there are heaps of artifacts and stuff. I spent two hours on a flying tour, could have spent all day. Don't miss the gift shop.

mungee
02-18-2006, 06:03 AM
A trip that I can really recommend (I've done it twice ... and I live in South Africa!)is to visit the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge. It's "a must" for anyone interested in the BoB - loads of uniforms, weapons, crash remnants, combat reports, parachutes etc etc.

One has to travel by train to Canterbury and then catch a bus to Hawkinge (near Folkestone/Dover on the SE Coast) - its a fnatastic (day) outing from London and I can recommend the pub nearby (I think its called 'The Cat and Mustard Pot') for lunch/drinks, and which apparently was used by the BoB pilots in 1940!

I regard the Battle of Britain Museum as a "hidden gem".

Zeus-cat
02-18-2006, 07:11 AM
The Imperial War Museum is about war and it is a very moving experience. I highly recommend it.

My wife can walk through the National Museum of the US Air Force here in Dayton in an hour or two and be somewhat bored by it, but she loved IWM. I can spend hours walking through buildings full of tanks and planes and love it, but I also loved the IWM.

Heliopause
02-18-2006, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You certainly seem to get around a lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL...3 weeks Norway for work. London with my wife....

Thanks for the info guys...Hendon it is!!!

VonShlagnoff
02-18-2006, 07:52 AM
I went in september, check out the photos:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m...541060163#3541060163 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3541060163/r/3541060163#3541060163)

danjama
02-18-2006, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Heliopause:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You certainly seem to get around a lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info guys...Hendon it is!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your at Hendon and finish early jump on the tube to Lambert Road (northern line) and check out the IWM, it really is a good, well worth it experience, i worked there a couple of months ago and i used to browse the place for two hours every day after id finished, its that good!

If you have time then go for it....

SnapdLikeAMutha
02-18-2006, 11:19 AM
The FAA museum near Yeovil is pretty good

Taylortony
02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Heliopause:

Thanks for the info guys...Hendon it is!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SUBWAY STATION IS COLLINGWOOD OK, NOT HENDON and from Collingwood turn left and it is about 200 yards up on the right.................. (if you do turn right there is a very good model shop too)... none of that metric rubbish here matey boy, after all we are British Old Chap http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Heliopause
02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Leaving in an hour or so, thanks for all the information http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif