PDA

View Full Version : Contact Radio Reports? How do they work?

AStotzer
05-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok, I've been playing this since it came out, and have been wondering about this.

When new red enemy icons show up on the map far away from you, how are you getting that information? I think sometimes isn't there a message in the center message window? I go the Radio Messages (R key) but I don't see any reports on the new contacts that show up on the map.

Am I missing something, or what's up with this?

AStotzer
05-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok, I've been playing this since it came out, and have been wondering about this.

When new red enemy icons show up on the map far away from you, how are you getting that information? I think sometimes isn't there a message in the center message window? I go the Radio Messages (R key) but I don't see any reports on the new contacts that show up on the map.

Am I missing something, or what's up with this?

Mingus
05-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I think this messages comes right from BdU and detailed information is given on the map.

If you click on the appearing ship, you can see bearing, speed, time etc.. so no more details needed to write on radio messages. All info is given on the map.

Just make a calculation considering bearing, speed, time and your position and plot a intercourse.

AStotzer
05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
What is BdU? Sorry for my ignorance....

I saw a tutorial in a thread last week that showed you how to calculate an intercept point for these kind of far off contacts. But in the example I thing there was a message in the middle message window that said it approx. speed. ie. 6knots or something like that.

When I click on the icon on the map, it just says slow or medium speed.

Thanks for your help Mingus!!

sarancha
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I think that Bdu is a command center of base camp. From the BdU, many order messages send to other U-boats in the sea. If you want to get more information about BdU, read a book which is 'Ten years, twenty days' written by Karl D├┬Ânitz.

AStotzer
05-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok Thanks.

But messages on a sub are recieved by Radio, right? Should the details be in the Radio Message Log book?

sarancha
05-08-2005, 08:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AStotzer:
Ok Thanks.

But messages on a sub are recieved by Radio, right? Should the details be in the Radio Message Log book? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. you right. I also have wondered about that.

vodkamike
05-09-2005, 04:46 AM
BdU means Der Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote, which means the Supreme Commander of the German Submarine Command, hence Admiral D├┬Ânitz.

toerag72
05-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Personally I've come to the conclusion that it's a bug.

I transfered to a different flotilla after about 8 patrols, and only then did I get my first ever 'official' radio contact. i.e. actually getting notification in the messages window that an external radio message had been recieved.

All very exciting, but it was a friendly ship and I was still close to base so kind of pointless anyway!

But it confirmed to me in my own mind that this is what should happen all the time.

So it's a bug.

For me this is a key issue too - it destroys all confidence in the fundamental underlying mechanics of the game from the word go.

Your only contact with the outside world and it's just not been implemented properly!

What other key elements of the game are missing or wrong I wonder?!!

JG52Russkly
05-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Ah ha!

So all those red, green and blue plots on the nav. map are generated via radio contact.

But there no radio messages relating to each plot?

Also, I thought that the radio didn't work when submerged. That's why the plots are different when detected via hydrophones!

Now I understand.

But the radio message lack seems a bug then.

R